Chris Davis, 2020

Frobby

14 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

On 105.7 today. The Orioles asked Davis if he wanted to get his swing bio- mechanically analyzed this off season and his answer was he preferred to do his own thing.

I’m going to look for more information on this when I get home tonight. I accepted Davis for what he is now, but it pisses me off that he wouldn’t do this. I shouldn’t be surprised since Davis has shown little interest in fixing his game the past few years. 

That pisses me off, too.  Dude needs all the help he can get.  Other than putting on some weight this offseason it doesn't look like he's done much.  

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As I’ve said numerous times, I’m done analyzing every little thing Davis says (or what others say) about what he did in the offseason or what adjustments he has or hasn’t made.    It’s results, period.    

That said, this.  I agree with brother Frobby here, 100%.  I don't think we'll see any results, though.  He's so far gone, I'm not sure if anyone has been so bad for so long and then rebounded to become halfway decent.

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That pisses me off, too.  Dude needs all the help he can get.  Other than putting on some weight this offseason it doesn't look like he's done much.  

That said, this.  I agree with brother Frobby here, 100%.  I don't think we'll see any results, though.  He's so far gone, I'm not sure if anyone has been so bad for so long and then rebounded to become halfway decent.

I don’t think Davis can be fixed either at this point. At the same time he should be willing to work with the team when they offer help. Davis is likely just going to hit about .190 with the occasional home run.

Davis if he did rebound and hit .230 with 30+ home runs could end up the worst comeback player of the year winner ever. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I have zero expectation that we’ll see any improvement from the last two years, and honestly, even if he played at his 2017 level I’d rather give his playing time to younger guys.  But as long as he’s on the team I will hope he succeeds, regardless of what I expect to happen.   

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

On 105.7 today. The Orioles asked Davis if he wanted to get his swing bio- mechanically analyzed this off season and his answer was he preferred to do his own thing.

I’m going to look for more information on this when I get home tonight. I accepted Davis for what he is now, but it pisses me off that he wouldn’t do this. I shouldn’t be surprised since Davis has shown little interest in fixing his game the past few years. 

Heard the same thing from a good source last off season. Davis is here to talk a good game, make super fans say, "He's a nice guy" and collect his money.

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Just heard Davis turned down an opportunity to get his swing examined this off season by state of the art software, and Davis just wants to stick with what he has been doing.

I appreciate his charity work, but please finally end this. He’s stubborn as a mule and won’t accept help from the team. Make Davis start pitching if he isn’t going to work with the team in good faith. Elias seemingly wants to help, but Davis has no interest in changing. 

It's amazing to me that a player with a grand total of three good MLB season can have this much of an ego. I'm also not sure why it's even Davis call in the first place. He's an employee of the Orioles. If they tell him to change his swing / approach then he should have to do it. Whether it offends his fragile little ego or not. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yes, I have put on some weight this “offseason” too....it is not that hard.   And I didn’t get paid millions to do it, either. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, half hop said:

I never even knew he "intentionally" lost 25 pounds. Is this new info? I knew he wasn't as big as he once was which I attributed to, well, you know. I agree with the poster who said why hasn't our crack beat writers ever asked him directly about his loss of mass given that it coincided with his lack of production. Can you imagine if he played in New York what they'd do to him? He's a very lucky man. I would like to feel sorry for him as a human being who is failing spectacularly in a public forum but he appears to be too stubborn/proud to listen to advice. I conjecture that is because deep down, he knows the real reason for his success may have been due to other sources than natural ability. Hope I'm wrong.

The total wasn't mentioned but he has stated that he had been trying to get lighter in recent years.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's amazing to me that a player with a grand total of three good MLB season can have this much of an ego. I'm also not sure why it's even Davis call in the first place. He's an employee of the Orioles. If they tell him to change his swing / approach then he should have to do it. Whether it offends his fragile little ego or not. 

I think the collective bargaining agreement prohibits this, but Davis as a point of personal pride should be ready to take drastic measures to see if his swing can be fixed.

Cal Ripken overdid it by making adjustments to his swing between at bats, but I’ll take that over a player who refuses to do anything and is the worst offensive player in the game. 

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think the collective bargaining agreement prohibits this, but Davis as a point of personal pride should be ready to take drastic measures to see if his swing can be fixed.

Cal Ripken overdid it by making adjustments to his swing between at bats, but I’ll take that over a player who refuses to do anything and is the worst offensive player in the game. 

If he’s not willing to make changes then bench him in perpetuity.