Will Andrew Cashner show up in the O's camp in the next week?

wildcard

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Yep, but I get vilified for calling someone out for suggesting we give him $3M. If all they want is an innings eater then they should just sign someone else to a minor league deal. 

I'd wager we'd get more out of that 3mill than the Tillman 3mill ?

2 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Have you seen Cobb's record and salary?

While it clearly hasn't worked out, Cobb repeating his previous years looked more likely than Ubaldo getting back to form.  Ubaldo felt like a prayer from the start to me.

Although, I probably hold Cobb in a better light since I haven't watched him get bombed as much (since that would require him to actually pitch...)

I'm not sure how any team could justify giving Andrew Cashner anything more than a minor league contract when that's all Trevor Cahill could get. Cahill was equally bad in 2019 and significantly better in 2018. He's also younger. 

Giants signed RHP Trevor Cahill to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm not sure how any team could justify giving Andrew Cashner anything more than a minor league contract when that's all Trevor Cahill could get. Cahill was equally bad in 2019 and significantly better in 2018. He's also younger. 

Giants signed RHP Trevor Cahill to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

There is the difference between signing with a team like the Giants playing in a big ballpark in the NL West, and signing with a 54-win Orioles team in a bandbox in the AL East.  If Trevor Cahill had a minor league deal on the table with both the O's and Giants, he's taking the Giants' offer immediately.  The O's would have had to sweeten the pot.

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There is the difference between signing with a team like the Giants playing in a big ballpark in the NL West, and signing with a 54-win Orioles team in a bandbox in the AL East.  If Trevor Cahill had a minor league deal on the table with both the O's and Giants, he's taking the Giants' offer immediately.  The O's would have had to sweeten the pot.

Possibly, but there are still plenty of Trevor Cahill types out there and with pitchers and catchers reporting the remaining free agents are losing some of their leverage. 

I get the reasons behind signing Cashner, but the pitchers that wildbillhiccup are suggesting are clearly better not only short but also long term. Cashner will fetch you nothing at the deadline. It's 100% a guaranteed fact that you wont get a prospect or player worth consideration, so he has no value regardless of total $$ value to this team in the future, which makes his value to this team in the present nothing. Would players like Santana, Sanchez, Estrada or Buchholz necessarily fetch anything? Not at all! But they have a higher chance to impact the future of this team for the positive solely in the comparisons of their tools and prior history.

And even if Cashner pitches better with Brocail, who's to say the already considerably better players outside of half the 2019 season aren't going to be even better than Cashner underneath Brocail. Brocail is a good pitching coach all things considered, and if he apparently turns Cashner into Padres Cashner then he can turn Buchholz into Diamondbacks Buchholz (which was a year ago), Sanchez into Blue Jays Sanchez, and Estrada into Blue Jays Estrada.

The Orioles rebuild should not be about solely getting a top-3 pick for 4 years and then opening up the floodgates. It should be about taking no-risk short term bets on players like Santana/Sanchez/Estrada/Buchholz to move past the ASB to acquire more assets. There's no such thing as too many prospects, so get as many as humanly possible, even if it costs an extra million or 3 a year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Possibly, but there are still plenty of Trevor Cahill types out there and with pitchers and catchers reporting the remaining free agents are losing some of their leverage. 

Not really.   The "top" free agent experienced starters left are:

Cashner

Aaron Sanchez (injured, unlikely to be able to pitch until August or September)

Taijuan Walker (has barely pitched for two years due to injury)

Jason Vargas (37 years old)

Matt Harvey

So in terms of guys who could sign today and be in the rotation in April, you basically are looking at Cashner, Vargas, and Harvey.   I wouldn't say that's "plenty".

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Cashner

Matt Harvey

So in terms of guys who could sign today and be in the rotation in April, you basically are looking at Cashner, Vargas, and Harvey.   I wouldn't say that's "plenty".

There is no reason to not take the million/2 million dollar bet on Taijuan Walker, someone who pre-injury would be one of the best pitchers the Orioles had seen in a while.

If you spend the money and he sucks, it's no different than spending it on any other pitcher available. If you spend the money and he performs anywhere around where he left off, you just got yourself a decent 40-45 FV prospect at the deadline.

13 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Cashner

Matt Harvey

Cashner or Vargas are the last options on that list. Either go for the upside of a Sanchez or Walker (and pay a little more) or just give a minor league contract to whoever's left. I'm not convinced that either one of them would be any better then a patchwork collection of AAA spot starters throughout the year. There's certainly no reason to pay more than market value for either of them. If we lose out, so what. It's not like either will move the needle in the win/loss column in 2020.