Sig talks analytics and player development

Frobby

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Rick Peterson used biomechanical analysis to help turn Chris Tillman's career around.  And Chris had actual major success and not oh we might have success in 4 years kind of success. 

Where in my post you are responding to did I say spending money was the way to get to 70 wins.  The Red Sox and Blue Jays look like they will be tanking this year.  70 wins seems pretty easy. If they spent a year with the players in Triple A it shouldn't be that hard to improve them enough to get them to 70 wins.  

In that specific post nowhere, but you've posted numerous times about the FO's failure to sign free agents to improve their record for the upcoming season.

3 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Didn't want this post to get lost in my tracker thread and wanted to pose the question: is anyone familiar with OnBaseU?

I vaguely remember seeing on Twitter a few weeks ago they were in Sarasota with a lot of the O's development team for meetings/seminars...

14 minutes ago, Absltgreek said:

In that specific post nowhere, but you've posted numerous times about the FO's failure to sign free agents to improve their record for the upcoming season.

Yeah but that is a totally different subject. I was responding to Interloper who said that I was wrong and look how much the Orioles are improving things.  But improving without any criteria is meaningless.  Anyone can come in and say they improved things over their predecessor.  But if you aren't going to judge them by actual results than it is just patting themselves on the back. 

I think the Oriole should try and improve their team.  I guess I am in the minority on that one.  But if these guys are as good as they say they are then we should see improvement on the big league team this year from all the hard work the geniuses put in last year.  

4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...and analytics most certainly played a part in helping them identify what players to trade for.

And helping those players improve when they got to Houston.

Morton had never been as good as he was with Houston before.

Cole had always been a very good pitcher, but he became an absolutely dominant stud with Houston.

Verlander's career arc seemed to be trending downwards, and he bounced back and was as good as he ever was with Houston.

That can't all be coincidence.

It would be easier to ignore various posters if other posters here put those same folks on ignore and didn't reply!

Folks here are getting a front row seat to rebuilding an organization from the ground up with the latest in analytics and technology, quality hires to be competitive with international spend and new coaches across the organization.  If the lesson is going to pass them by and they choose to miss the boat, let them miss the boat.

If someone is going to pound the table with examples that DD's regime helped develop Chris Tillman (well done, good job prior regime), but ignore the article that has  quotes from GrayRod on the improved technologies and how he was taught a change-up by the current regime or understand how John Means came to be a significantly better pitcher (not crediting current organization for that, but showing the impact of the technologies now being used to improve performance), then it is absolutely a waste of time to read and engage with that poster. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And helping those players improve when they got to Houston.

Morton had never been as good as he was with Houston before.

Cole had always been a very good pitcher, but he became an absolutely dominant stud with Houston.

Verlander's career arc seemed to be trending downwards, and he bounced back and was as good as he ever was with Houston.

That can't all be coincidence.

Look up Trevor Bauer's comments on how the Astro's pitchers improved. 

10 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

It would be easier to ignore various posters if other posters here put those same folks on ignore and didn't reply!

Folks here are getting a front row seat to rebuilding an organization from the ground up with the latest in analytics and technology, quality hires to be competitive with international spend and new coaches across the organization.  If the lesson is going to pass them by and they choose to miss the boat, let them miss the boat.

If someone is going to pound the table with examples that DD's regime helped develop Chris Tillman (well done, good job prior regime), but ignore the article that has  quotes from GrayRod on the improved technologies and how he was taught a change-up by the current regime or understand how John Means came to be a significantly better pitcher (not crediting current organization for that, but showing the impact of the technologies now being used to improve performance), then it is absolutely a waste of time to read and engage with that poster. 

John Means went in the off-season on his own dime to receive instructions on how to become a better pitcher.  I am sorry if you it bothers you to have people with differing opinions. I only responded to this thread as I was mentioned in a post.  I will judge the team on wins and losses.  You can continue to judge them on them self-judging themselves.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

If these guys are helping the players get better than they should be getting better.  DD came in here and brought in guys to help the players improve.  He turned around Tillman.  Britton became the best reliever in the game.  

What is nonsense is to say that the team won't be better until 2022.  What are these guys doing than until 2022? Are they purposely not making the pitchers and hitters better until then?  I am laughing hysterically at your post.  They are doing such a great job improving pitchers but we won't see any effect until 2022?  That is the most hysterically funny thing I have seen posted on here. 

I think you need to find a new team to root for.  Clearly the Orioles organizational philosophy is completely at odds with everything you believe in.  We'd all be better off if you became a Pirates fan or something.  Or followed through on your threats to give up on MLB altogether. Does the Washington Spirit have a messageboard?

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Yeah but that is a totally different subject. I was responding to Interloper who said that I was wrong and look how much the Orioles are improving things.  But improving without any criteria is meaningless.  Anyone can come in and say they improved things over their predecessor.  But if you aren't going to judge them by actual results than it is just patting themselves on the back. 

I think the Oriole should try and improve their team.  I guess I am in the minority on that one.  But if these guys are as good as they say they are then we should see improvement on the big league team this year from all the hard work the geniuses put in last year.  

I'm sure you'll come back in 2022, 2023, 2024 and lavish praise on Elias and team if the work they're putting in now bears fruit. Right?  

Nah, we know exactly what will happen.  You'll continue ripping them to shreds for not winning 75 games in 2020, and how they should have been well over .500 in 2021.  If only they weren't so stupid, and the fanbase so gullible.  Except you, of course.

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think you need to find a new team to root for.  Clearly the Orioles organizational philosophy is completely at odds with everything you believe in.  We'd all be better off if you became a Pirates fan or something.  Or followed through on your threats to give up on MLB altogether. Does the Washington Spirit have a messageboard?

LOL. Now you are telling me to root for another team because I don't believe in the way the team is being run.  Did you find a new team when all the previous GM's you thought were mismanaging the team?  

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm sure you'll come back in 2022, 2023, 2024 and lavish praise on Elias and team if the work they're putting in now bears fruit. Right?  

Nah, we know exactly what will happen.  You'll continue ripping them to shreds for not winning 75 games in 2020, and how they should have been well over .500 in 2021.  If only they weren't so stupid, and the fanbase so gullible.  Except you, of course.

I suspect that by 2024 there will be a new GM and you will be praising that man or woman or whomever is the GM and you will forget all about the time you argued with me about Elias.  

4 hours ago, atomic said:

What?  The players they are helping in the minors aren't going to improve.  They were with them at AAA last year.  Did they not help these players develop and improve?  You guys make me laugh. It is either they are helping the players improve or they are not.  Pick one.  Improving players means more wins when you are at the Orioles level of ineptitude.  

Oh don't judge my work until 4 years down the road. Just trust me we are all geniuses down here helping the players get better.  But wait one day you will see results.  Funniest thing I have ever heard. 

Your argument here is almost incoherent.   Many Orioles players showed improvement last year, and the team won 7 more games than it did the year before despite the fact that almost all its good players had been traded away the previous summer.   The minor league teams also performed much better, and there were many minor league players who improved significantly.     None of that is inconsistent with the thought that wins at the major league level are not the priority right now.    

• Upvote 2