The ACC vs Big East Thread

mweb

The right team(s) could definitely help the overall profile of the conference. But right now I'm not sure there is anyone logically to add. Not to mention it would completely overload the BE with basketball teams (assuming the additions would be full members). Maybe UCF to expand the Florida base' date=' but as far as I know they bring nothing in basketball, which will always be the Big East's calling card.[/quote']

UCF would be a natural fit. If I was the commisioner I'd also put a lot of pressure and be creative in trying to lure Norte Dame into joining. Something of a hybrid deal letting them continue to have their own TV deal, etc... Begining in 2009 ND begins a series of games (3 each year vs. Big East teams) that will have them playing a home and home with every team in the conference. Considering ND is already a full member of the conference for everything else it would also be a natural fit.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No disrespect guys, I know you've had this feud going for a few years, but..

Why even bother this year? Neither conference is going to be particularly good.

True. But the problem is the Big East guys, or at least gesh, won't admit that.

UCF would be a natural fit. If I was the commissioner I'd also put a lot of pressure and be creative in trying to lure Notre Dame into joining. Something of a hybrid deal letting them continue to have their own TV deal, etc... Beginning in 2009 ND begins a series of games (3 each year vs. Big East teams) that will have them playing a home and home with every team in the conference. Considering ND is already a full member of the conference for everything else it would also be a natural fit.

USF would steadfastly deny UCF's entrance into the conference. They feel they are 10 times better than UCF. That is why USF is ending the series with with them. USF wants to play against different instate opponents, but I think its b/c it has become a lose-lose situation for them. If they beat UCF, that is what they are supposed to do. If they lose to UCF, its an embarassment and a chance UCF could steal some recruits from them.

Saturday is the last time those two schools will play each other unless they meet in a bowl game. I am a UCF alum, so I know all about trying to get into the BE. I'm torn on what to do on Sunday. Go to the UCF-USF game (I have been to the other 3) and have the stadium give me updates canceling out the fact that I'm going to record the Canes-Gators game. Or sit at home and watch both at the same time.

You're right about FSU, I was confused with the post.

For all intents and purposes, Miami beat OSU*.

I know they did. In a previous post I said that the Canes should have two titles while OSU should be 0 for 3 in title games.

No disrespect guys, I know you've had this feud going for a few years, but..

Why even bother this year? Neither conference is going to be particularly good.

True. But the problem is the Big East guys, or at least gesh, won't admit that.

Case in point - the need to correct perceptions.

I don't think the BEast is great this year, but neither is it going to be a poor conference... Middle of the road - 3rd or more likely 4th best conference is where they'll wind up. However perception being what it is, many will wrongly consider it among the worst no matter how well they do.

USF would steadfastly deny UCF's entrance into the conference. They feel they are 10 times better than UCF. That is why USF is ending the series with with them. USF wants to play against different instate opponents, but I think its b/c it has become a lose-lose situation for them. If they beat UCF, that is what they are supposed to do. If they lose to UCF, its an embarassment and a chance UCF could steal some recruits from them.

Saturday is the last time those two schools will play each other unless they meet in a bowl game. I am a UCF alum, so I know all about trying to get into the BE. I'm torn on what to do on Sunday. Go to the UCF-USF game (I have been to the other 3) and have the stadium give me updates canceling out the fact that I'm going to record the Canes-Gators game. Or sit at home and watch both at the same time.

I know they did. In a previous post I said that the Canes should have two titles while OSU should be 0 for 3 in title games.

I doubt USF has the power to stop UCFs entrance to the conference if the BEast were to decide to expand. All of the schools benefit with recruiting by having a Florida presence. Having both teams would be even better. I understand why USF wouldn't want them on the schedule as an OOC opponent... As you rightly point out there is no benefit. But making them a hated in conference rival would be very beneficial to both programs.

Case in point - the need to correct perceptions.

I don't think the BEast is great this year, but neither is it going to be a poor conference... Middle of the road - 3rd or more likely 4th best conference is where they'll wind up. However perception being what it is, many will wrongly consider it among the worst no matter how well they do.

It's highly unlikely they are better than 4th.

UCF would be a natural fit. If I was the commisioner I'd also put a lot of pressure and be creative in trying to lure Norte Dame into joining. Something of a hybrid deal letting them continue to have their own TV deal, etc... Begining in 2009 ND begins a series of games (3 each year vs. Big East teams) that will have them playing a home and home with every team in the conference. Considering ND is already a full member of the conference for everything else it would also be a natural fit.

If I was him I wouldn't waste my breath.....it's just not going to happen. The only way ND joins a conference is if NBC ends the TV deal (which now runs through 2015) and the BCS severs their automatic bid agreement (hopefully the BCS dies by then anyway). If those two things happen, then the only conference Notre Dame would join is the Big 10.

If I was him I wouldn't waste my breath.....it's just not going to happen. The only way ND joins a conference is if NBC ends the TV deal (which now runs through 2015) and the BCS severs their automatic bid agreement (hopefully the BCS dies by then anyway). If those two things happen' date=' then the only conference Notre Dame would join is the Big 10.[/quote']

I realize that which is why I said they should be creative... Let ND keep their TV deal for football. They are already in a great conference for all of their other sports.

I realize that which is why I said they should be creative... Let ND keep their TV deal for football. They are already in a great conference for all of their other sports.

My point is, as long as they have their TV deal they will remain fully independant in football and won't join a conference even if granted special exceptions. It's part of their identity and they will cling to that as long as they possibly can. But if the time should come that they no longer have their own TV deal (and the automatic BCS clause) then the only conference they will consider is the Big 10. The Big East may be a better fit for sports like basketball and lacrosse, but when you look at the conferences as a whole, the Big 10 has more cache and tradition (plus its own TV network) and I would bet ND would feel the Big 10 is a better fit for them. And we all know the Big 10 would welcome them with open arms.

I doubt USF has the power to stop UCFs entrance to the conference if the BEast were to decide to expand. All of the schools benefit with recruiting by having a Florida presence. Having both teams would be even better. I understand why USF wouldn't want them on the schedule as an OOC opponent... As you rightly point out there is no benefit. But making them a hated in conference rival would be very beneficial to both programs.

USF could stop it if the conference needed a unanimous vote from all of the current members for approval to add a new member. I think having an annual USF-UCF matchup would actually benefit both programs:

It has been the highest attended home game for each team that season.

It would give each team's fan base a true rival. Right now UCF's "rivals" are Marshall, ECU, and S. Miss. USF's "rivals" are WV, but I'm sure WV's feeling aren't mutual and just consider the Bulls as just a conference foe and not a rival.

Archived