Broadcasting changes

eddie83

1 minute ago, PaulFolk said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but according to Dan Connolly's article today, Geoff Arnold will be doing about 150 games this year on the radio. So it sounds like he'll be the main radio guy, sometimes joined by another PBP person (like how it used to be with Angel and Manfra), and sometimes joined by an analyst (like how it was last year with Brown and Olson/McDonald/Bordick).

Oops, hadn't gotten to that yet.   I don't log onto the Athletic or just about any password sites from here at work, other than my web-mail, so I won't see that until tonight.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Oops, hadn't gotten to that yet.   I don't log onto the Athletic or just about any password sites from here at work, other than my web-mail, so I won't see that until tonight.

I am glad when folks put those tidbits up for us. I usually rep. 

So it Iooks like play by play 

TV - 1) Thorne

2) Garcaeu 

3) Brown 

4) Arnold 

analysts 

TV - 1) Palmer

2-4) Bordick, McDONALD and  Roberts 

play by play 

Radio  1)Arnold 

2) Brown 

3) Newman 

analysts - radio 

1-3) Bordick, McDONALD,         

Roberts 

4) Olson 

5) Dave Johnson 

Curious how they handle radio play by play with who gets what innings. The Orioles have always had the lead broadcaster do innings 1,2,5,8,9. 

MASN Host looks like 

1) Long

2) Garcaeu 

Analyst 

Dempsey - limited games 

Perhaps some of Tv/radio analysts will do this role even more???  

Fill in/other roles 

Davis,  Hunter also Melewski

Reporters - online and TV, radio 

Roch, Melewski 

Digital 

Mancano 

I wonder if Orioles could use someone like Newman on MASN not as a full time sideline reporter but as additional in game reporter if needed.  

It seems like an awful lot of on air talent.  

Do other teams have this many PBP/color analysts?  I get that Thorne can't do all of the games on TV cause he's got national responsibilites for other sports, but sheesh, 4 different PBP people for tv?  4 analysts for tv alone?

The Nationals always, no matter what, seem to have Boring Bob Carpenter and FP Santangelo (the absolute worst) doing their games.  I've never heard/seen anyone else that I can recall.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Do other teams have this many PBP/color analysts?  I get that Thorne can't do all of the games on TV cause he's got national responsibilites for other sports, but sheesh, 4 different PBP people for tv?  4 analysts for tv alone?

The Nationals always, no matter what, seem to have Boring Bob Carpenter and FP Santangelo (the absolute worst) doing their games.  I've never heard/seen anyone else that I can recall.

I think Thorne and especially Palmer have been cutting down on their number of broadcasts in recent years, so they need a few backups.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The Nationals always, no matter what, seem to have Boring Bob Carpenter and FP Santangelo (the absolute worst) doing their games.  I've never heard/seen anyone else that I can recall.

It does seem like overkill, but I'll take this group (even Bordick) over listening to FP Santangelo for 162 games. 

• Upvote 1

Tom Davis elaborated in what he’ll be doing today on Wall to Wall Baseball.    He’s going to be doing in-game updates on scores of other games.    Sounds like he’s not going to be hosting the pre-game or post-game shows at all.    Wall to Wall Baseball (which isn’t controlled by the Orioles anyway) will continue.   Davis said he doesn’t know what Jim Hunter will be doing.   

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

My supposition is that this is a try-out year and they’ll thin the herd next year.   Also, they’re easing a few people out gently without completely cutting them out.   It’s also possible that Thorne and/or Palmer have told them they don’t plan to do this much longer or will be ramping down in the near future, so they’re getting prepared with these try-outs.

I heard Geoff Arnold a little bit today on the radio broadcast being interviewed by Melewski, and he seemed polished and had a good voice.    

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tom Davis elaborated in what he’ll be doing today on Wall to Wall Baseball.    He’s going to be doing in-game updates on scores of other games.    Sounds like he’s not going to be hosting the pre-game or post-game shows at all.    Wall to Wall Baseball (which isn’t controlled by the Orioles anyway) will continue.   Davis said he doesn’t know what Jim Hunter will be doing.   

In game updates was what he did in the old HTS days. Right by the dugout. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Jim just had major back surgery...but he's going to be ready for opening day. He's a warrior. The last of the great Orioles from the great teams still bleeding Orange and Black,and I for one am relieved he's back for as long as he can go.He's still one of the best baseball analysts alive.

He’s the best around as far as I’m concerned. He and Thorne are the best duo in baseball 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Jim Hunter will be the Oriole Dugout Cheerleader. When he shakes a pom pom watch out.Him and the Bird seventh inning stretch will be amazing.

I have heard he is going to be doing mostly the digital side.But not sure if he is real happy with this.He really is a very nice person .

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

My supposition is that this is a try-out year and they’ll thin the herd next year.   Also, they’re easing a few people out gently without completely cutting them out.   It’s also possible that Thorne and/or Palmer have told them they don’t plan to do this much longer or will be ramping down in the near future, so they’re getting prepared with these try-outs.

I heard Geoff Arnold a little bit today on the radio broadcast being interviewed by Melewski, and he seemed polished and had a good voice.    

Palmer committed to 80 games this season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1