Broadcasting changes

eddie83

On 2/22/2020 at 11:48 AM, Roy Firestone said:

Jim just had major back surgery...but he's going to be ready for opening day. He's a warrior. The last of the great Orioles from the great teams still bleeding Orange and Black,and I for one am relieved he's back for as long as he can go.He's still one of the best baseball analysts alive.

Here is where we agree. Palmer is a great mix of telling like it is, old school Orioles stories and knowledge, and understanding that he doesn't have to explain the replay.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

I feel a bit sorry for him, but he’s had a 23-year run and given the long-time general opinion of his TV play by play, I’m glad the team is finally trying someone else.   

The Orioles are clearly doing this the classy way of putting him on "special assignment" vs just saying what happened which is he was let go from regular duties.

I really look forward to adding Arnold to the radio booth with Kevin Brown, who I really liked last year because he's willing to use new stats vs Hunter who once claimed that a Bowie pitcher was a great prospects because he went 5-0 the previous year.

• Upvote 1

BTW, I felt the Garceau and McDonald booth was pretty good, especially with McDonald helping out and knowing the pitchers so well. Brian Roberts was very good when he dropped in as well. When Palmer can no longer do the games, I hope those two or considered for more time in the booth though I'd also like to see someone who is up on analytics get some time in there as well.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Dreadnought said:

Hunter's performance, or lack thereof, was responsible.  He should look in the mirror.  And for a guy who bizarrely blamed umpires for their faults over two decades, and also suggested poorly performing umpires should be sent to the minors, it is poetic justice that he has been benched as well.

The umpire criticism was especially ANNOYING last season.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

BTW, I felt the Garceau and McDonald booth was pretty good, especially with McDonald helping out and knowing the pitchers so well. Brian Roberts was very good when he dropped in as well. When Palmer can no longer do the games, I hope those two or considered for more time in the booth though I'd also like to see someone who is up on analytics get some time in there as well.

I agree.

I just "binge-read" this thread and have to agree with @Tony-OH in that it is a matter of personal preference.

I am old enough to go back to Chuck Thompson and Bill O'Donnell and their radio/TV (however limited it was back then) work.  I remember Brooks and Tom Marr and Jon Miller.  I do hear Jon on Sirius and miss his calling of the hames.  I remember the HTS days as well.

Sadly, we can't go back.  These moves prove that the team is now listening to the fans (the survey) and are acting on it.  What is evident is that we are all passionate about the Orioles.  Give the newbies a chance, who knows we may like them.  As one who follows the O's minors I know we have some great voices on the farm and it is so good to see Geoff Arnold get the promotion; hopefully Adam Pohl is next.

Everyone will find a happy medium to consume the games either on radio or TV...just be happy that baseball is back and continue the wonderful discussions here at Os Hangout.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

A pretty delightful broadcast all around yesterday, I thought. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/23/2020 at 5:44 PM, InsideCoroner said:

I feel bad for Hunter as a person getting such a demotion, but as a viewer/listener I’m really glad they made this change. His enthusiasm was admirable but often ill-advised, like the little kid sitting next to you that freaks out over a late solo home run in a lopsided blowout loss. I swear you could almost hear Palmer rolling his eyes sometimes when they shared the booth

This x1000

• Upvote 1