Broadcasting changes

eddie83

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I could feel Palmer’s contempt for Hunter coming through my television screen. 

I hated those two together because it was so contentious. Worst pairing of the broadcst team IMO. Even Hunter and Bordick was better. (I like Bordick.)

4 hours ago, scOtt said:

You guys the last 2 or 3 pages keep mentioning "the survey" that may have got Hunter demoted. What survey was that?

It was a survey sent to the Orioles fan focus group.  An invite-only group the team formed over a year ago I believe.  There was a survey about radio and TV.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, cboemmeljr said:

It was a survey sent to the Orioles fan focus group.  An invite-only group the team formed over a year ago I believe.  There was a survey about radio and TV.

I figured it was something invite-only. Good on any of you all who participated and voted Hunter off the island.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, scOtt said:

I figured it was something invite-only. Good on any of you all who participated and voted Hunter off the island.

It was this one :Sent on October 9th,2019.

New Insight Panel Survey 

Insight Panel Members,

We wanted to again express a BIG thank you for participating in our Orioles Insight Panel. Since starting the Insight Panel in January, we have received over 10,000 responses on how to improve the fan experience including concessions, new ballpark experiences, and giveaway items. As planning for next season is underway, we now welcome your feedback regarding the club's television and radio broadcasts. A new survey is now posted and available via the link below. 

Go O's!  
Orioles Insight Panel Team

Questions like this:

How enjoyable did you find the following Orioles TV broadcasters to listen to during Orioles game broadcasts? 
  Not very enjoyable Not enjoyable Neutral/No Opinion Enjoyable Very enjoyable Have not heard this person call a game
Ben McDonald

Please select the Orioles TV broadcasters that you most enjoy listening to (Select up to 3):
  • Brian Roberts

• Jim Palmer

• Mike Bordick

• Jim Hunter

• Gary Thorne

• Ben McDonald

• N/A - Did not find any of the above enjoyable to listen to

Please select the Orioles radio broadcasters that you most enjoy listening to (Select up to 3):
  • Ben McDonald

• Kevin Brown

• Dave Johnson

• Mike Bordick

• Steve Melewski

• Brian Roberts

• Gregg Olson

• Jim Hunter

• N/A - Did not find any of the above enjoyable to listen to
  •  
  • Overall who is your favorite and least favorite broadcaster? Please explain (optional).

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, scOtt said:

I hated those two together because it was so contentious. Worst pairing of the broadcst team IMO. Even Hunter and Bordick was better. (I like Bordick.)

I don't mind Bordick either.  That is, until he does any kind of replay where he needs to put heavy emphasis on every other word.

• Upvote 1

On 2/24/2020 at 11:11 AM, interloper said:

A pretty delightful broadcast all around yesterday, I thought. 

I found today's pairing of Geoff Arnold and McDonald was even better.  Arnold's voice was very pleasing and his "knowledge" of player's performances from last year in MLB and MiLB was accurate and flowed well.  I heard no "good piece of hitting" nor "steaks" nor "butcher boy" aphorisms at all but it is early.  So far, it is an improvement IMO!

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, bobmc said:

I found today's pairing of Geoff Arnold and McDonald was even better.  Arnold's voice was very pleasing and his "knowledge" of player's performances from last year in MLB and MiLB was accurate and flowed well.  I heard no "good piece of hitting" nor "steaks" nor "butcher boy" aphorisms at all but it is early.  So far, it is an improvement IMO!

Geoff was great! I'm loving these broadcast changes so far. 

For a young guy on his first MLB broadcast, Geoff Arnold was essentially flawless. It was actually super impressive. He seems to know a ton, he threw McDonald appropriate questions, and his player interviews were SHORT and SNAPPY thank GOD. More broadcasters need to learn to just let the player get out of these interviews unless the player is really enjoying it. The PBP was basically perfect the entire game. 

Dude's a pro with a good voice and he'll have a long career. It's cool to get younger guys like him and Brown in here mixed with some of the veterans. 

• Upvote 1

Hunter has been a loyal employee for a long time, and I'm glad the club kept him in some capacity.  He would be perfect for things like emcee'ing opening day, or reunions, or season ticket holder dinners, whatever.  But it was pretty clear that the fan base was not happy with his broadcasting performance, so they moved on.  This is the kind of action we need to see from the Orioles - running it as a merit-based business, instead of an ole boys club.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, orpheus100 said:

What was he sick with

Rich Dubroff Jim Palmer talks about Orioles’ rebuild, their pitching, and his health

Q: What can you tell us about your health and how you’re doing?

A: “I got shingles, and it ended up invading my spinal cord, which is called myelitis. The whole left side of my spinal cord was infected. It’s the varicella virus. It was having a party in my spinal cord. I was losing weight.

“I still feel postherpetic neuralgia, where it hurts as much today as the day I got them. The scars are kind of gone. It really gets into your nervous system.

“A couple of days before Labor Day, I took a thoracic MRI. Five days in the hospital, brain scans, back scans. I was losing weight because I was not eating.

“It was kind of a distraction to watch the games. I was losing weight. I lost 10, 12 pounds, and I never lose 10, 12 pounds. I had a leg biopsy on my birthday. We’re just trying to find out if there’s anything else but the myelitis. I got as low as 194, 195 pounds. I’m back to 202, lifting weights, working out. I feel fine. I never felt bad.”

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1