Broadcasting changes

eddie83

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wow, you are a longtime member of this site, aren’t you?    I’d completely forgotten about Mr. Hoffman.   Wasn’t he a retired law enforcement officer or something?   I’ve forgotten his first name, so maybe @Tony-OH, @weamsor @PaulFolkcan refresh our memories.     He loved to report on the guys who weren’t really prospects but baseball rats.    Good times!

I believe you're thinking of John Hoffmann.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, even one that you readily admitted was sexist. But surely you can see why it's a problematic statement, and why that kind of backwards attitude contributes to women getting lesser/unequal opportunities in baseball media -- and in all sports media -- than men.

I wouldn't be surprised if people were making that kind of argument before baseball was integrated in the 1940s. "As a sports fan I've been conditioned to see white players in baseball for all of my life, so forgive me if I don't like seeing a black guy on the field. I never said black guys couldn't be MLB players. Never said they shouldn't be players. It's just a personal preference. I'm not apologizing for it." Would that have been okay?

Sorta, but I think you're still leaping to conclusions and presenting a strawman.  

Again, I didn't say there's no place for women in the broadcast booth.  I didn't say I wouldn't watch games that she's broadcasting.  I didn't say that women shouldn't be afforded opportunities in sports media.  I think you'd like to think that I feel that way when I really don't.  I mean, if Hunter was calling all 162 games with Bordick on TV, I'd still watch.  Who's doing the PBP and color commentary is ultimately doesn't matter if I'm going to watch the game.  If it did, yeah, it'd be problematic.  Frobby was right earlier, it's not going to change the way I watch and interact with the team.

So if all I'm doing here is grumbling about a personal preference but not changing how I interact with the team, not changing how I'm consuming the games and begrudgingly keeping an open mind on who's calling the game...what are we really arguing about here?  Do I have to think she's great just because she's a woman broadcaster when I've never heard her call a game before?  Dude, if she's great I'll be the first to say it. 

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

But that doesn't keep both of you from making leaps in conclusions and putting words in my mouth 

Guys, I'm not apologizing for a personal preference and what I'd like to listen to.  It's as simple as that. 

I didn't mean to imply that you should apologize and I didn't mean to hammer you. I have biases too. We all do. Every culture is full of them and every person has biases. But I definitely didn't put any words in your mouth. You expressed a clear sexual bias. No need to twist anything you said because you wrote in crystal clear, plain English. We all have unconscious biases until we see them for what they are. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Is there a schedule of who’s doing which TV games?    I hadn’t seen that.   Where is it?

No schedule but over the past couple days, if you ready every Melewski/Kubatko/MLB.com column and listen to what Garceau was quoted as saying on his 105.7 talkshow, it seems to have come out that Garceau will be doing TV play by play for 52 games (he mentioned that exact #) and will also be doing a lot of Orioles pre-and post-game stuff on MASN.   So maybe he will be replacing Tom Davis and working with Demper some of the time?

And also it was noted that Brown would do a little bit of TV pbp as well.   And Arnold will be doing some radio pbp.

Each of those bits of info came from a different source.

So we know a little more about the various roles than we did two days ago, but I imagine there are things we will just have to wait and see on.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

The main thing I did like about Hunter was how excited he’d get when the O’s came through in a dramatic moment.    Yeah he’d often get too enthusiastic over plays that were unimportant, but when the plays actually were important, his enthusiasm was fun to listen to.   

I will admit that I really liked Tom Marr as a play by play guy.   I know that will get laughed at.   He was not particularly competent and committed a lot of malapropisms.   But he had a genuine enthusiasm for the Orioles and would get as excited as a fan at the appropriate times.   And you could almost hear the disappointment in his voice when the ot her team did something good (which, considering he was on from 1979 until the mid 80s, wasn't that often).

I know he was not nearly as polished as Thompson or Miller, but I still liked him doing play by play.   I used to say "He's an idiot, but he's OUR idiot".

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

No schedule but over the past couple days, if you ready every Melewski/Kubatko/MLB.com column and listen to what Garceau was quoted as saying on his 105.7 talkshow, it seems to have come out that Garceau will be doing TV play by play for 52 games (he mentioned that exact #) and will also be doing a lot of Orioles pre-and post-game stuff on MASN.   So maybe he will be replacing Tom Davis and working with Demper some of the time?

And also it was noted that Brown would do a little bit of TV pbp as well.   And Arnold will be doing some radio pbp.

So we know a little more about the various roles than we did two days ago, but I imagine there are things we will just have to wait and see on.

I'll take the under on "Gary162" also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sorta, but I think you're still leaping to conclusions and presenting a strawman.  

Again, I didn't say there's no place for women in the broadcast booth.  I didn't say I wouldn't watch games that she's broadcasting.  I didn't say that women shouldn't be afforded opportunities in sports media.  I think you'd like to think that I feel that way when I really don't.  I mean, if Hunter was calling all 162 games with Bordick on TV, I'd still watch.  Who's doing the PBP and color commentary is ultimately doesn't matter if I'm going to watch the game.  If it did, yeah, it'd be problematic.  Frobby was right earlier, it's not going to change the way I watch and interact with the team.

So if all I'm doing here is grumbling about a personal preference but not changing how I interact with the team, not changing how I'm consuming the games and begrudgingly keeping an open mind on who's calling the game...what are we really arguing about here?  Do I have to think she's great just because she's a woman broadcaster when I've never heard her call a game before?  Dude, if she's great I'll be the first to say it. 

Fair enough. All I ask is that you give her a fair shake instead of assuming you won't like her announcing because she's a woman.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but according to Dan Connolly's article today, Geoff Arnold will be doing about 150 games this year on the radio. So it sounds like he'll be the main radio guy, sometimes joined by another PBP person (like how it used to be with Angel and Manfra), and sometimes joined by an analyst (like how it was last year with Brown and Olson/McDonald/Bordick).

Arnold is expected to broadcast roughly 150 games this year on the Orioles Radio Network. Sometimes he’ll be part of a play-by-play tandem with Kevin Brown, who joined the club last year, or with Melanie Newman, who will be in her first year as an Orioles’ broadcaster.

Other times, the broadcasts will feature Arnold and a color analyst, such as former Orioles Ben McDonald, Mike Bordick, Brian Roberts and Gregg Olson, among others.

• Upvote 1