interloper

The O's could conceivably add the following guys to the 40-man:

LeBlanc
Milone
Williams
Hanhold
Valaika
Holaday

So that's 6 guys who could be added, and that's without factoring in a possible late-ST signing or waiver claim. Looking at that, along with the new rules and limits on pitchers, it does make sense. 

EDIT: Added Valaika and Holaday.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I like that he didn't feel any obligation to try and make the picks work.

He picked them, got a good look at them and decided to go elsewhere.

Or maybe he asked the Astros and Cubs how much it would cost to purchase them and they have to be offered to the other teams before he can buy them.   Just a guess.

He doesn't want to deal with the Rule 5 restrictions.

• Upvote 2

Elias is now 1/5 in terms of keeping Rule 5 guys..

Last year he picked Martin and Jackson, and sent Jackson back.   He also only needed to keep Araujo on the roster for a couple weeks last April to complete his Rule 5 requirement from the previous season, but he chose not to even do that in early April where there are a lot of off days.   And this year he sent both Bailey and Rucker back.

So it appears to me he brings these guys in for evaluation, and if he does not truly think they will be assets to the system once he gets to watch, measure, and evaluate them up close, he lets them go.

While Duquette's approach was more:  if the scouts see something they like in these guys, try like heck to keep them for that year and then get them in the minor league system once the R5 requirement is fulfilled.    [To be fair, Duquette was constrained on strengthing the system via other means such as international free agency],.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Elias is now 1/5 in terms of keeping Rule 5 guys..

Last year he picked Martin and Jackson, and sent Jackson back.   He also only needed to keep Araujo on the roster for a couple weeks last April to complete his Rule 5 requirement from the previous season, but he chose not to even do that in early April where there are a lot of off days.   And this year he sent both Bailey and Rucker back.

So it appears to me he brings these guys in for evaluation, and if he does not truly think they will be assets to the system once he gets to watch, measure, and evaluate them up close, he lets them go.

While Duquette's approach was more:  if the scouts see something they like in these guys, try like heck to keep them for that year and then get them in the minor league system once the R5 requirement is fulfilled.    [To be fair, Duquette was constrained on strengthing the system via other means such as international free agency],.

Yeah at the end of the day, this is probably a positive development. The idea is not to have to rely on Rule 5s to bolster the farm system. If you're doing that, you've done something wrong such as completely ignore the international market. 

Martin made sense in that we were extremely thin at that position and it's easier to stash a position player.

I expect Elias to continue to pick  Rule 5s because why not, but it's good that he's not counting on them to bolster the farm system.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah at the end of the day, this is probably a positive development. The idea is not to have to rely on Rule 5s to bolster the farm system. If you're doing that, you've done something wrong such as completely ignore the international market. 

Martin made sense in that we were extremely thin at that position and it's easier to stash a position player.

I expect Elias to continue to pick  Rule 5s because why not, but it's good that he's not counting on them to bolster the farm system.

Because ideally you don't have room on your 40.

I’m really disappointed by this. I trust Mike’s reasons, so I am not at all saying he’s wrong, but I’d like a little bit more clarification. If Rucker and Bailey have a future, I would think that it would be worthwhile letting them stay. I would think that Mike would want to delay starting the service clocks of the higher potential prospects as well. Milone probably won’t be ready for opening day, anyway.

Oh well, I’m disappointed, but not as disappointed as they are.

7 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

The prospect of going from 4th starter on the O’s to AAA Houston is tough. 

Rucker isn’t even going to AAA.

Bailey May see time with the big club though. McHugh signed with Boston( Which disappoints me on many levels. He used to be one of my favorite people) But Houston doesn’t have as much pitching depth as They once did, So it’s possible.