Orioles claim RHP Velazquez from Red Sox

Legend_Of_Joey

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Guess his versatility could help the team, but not a part of the future at his age so a little surprised he was picked up. seemed like a guy that would pass through waivers and could get on a minor league contract. 

Makes me wonder if they wind up using some openers. I know they have not said they will. 

Of course some guys will get hit around and basically be openers anyway.

It’s interesting to compare this guy with the rule five guys we just returned. It’s a bit of a head scratcher, because he’s not better than they are, and he’s older. I still think it would’ve been more logical to keep them. Even if you have to return them during the season, you haven’t lost anything, so in that sense roster flexibility isn’t an issue.

Oh well, we will see what we shall see, he can’t be any worse than Jimmy Yacabonis.

• Upvote 1

When Elias announced that he was sending back the Rule 5s, I speculated he might be adding a pitcher and I considered naming Velazquez in the waiver wire thread. 

It makes sense from a stability standpoint. He's got a decent ML track record. Might have been the type of guy we signed had he been a free agent. The option is pretty huge, too.

• Upvote 1