Roster Moves during the COVID-19 Break

Yardball85

20 hours ago, Philip said:

Well, this means I was right about Hess and Williams, and wrong about Urias. 

I didn’t think Mullins and Mountcastle were going to make it regardless, but for very different reasons.

I wonder when the next round of Spring Training cuts will be... June?

March.

March 2021.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Down to Velazquez and Martin for backup IF. Seems like Velazquez should get it due to ability to also play OF. I had Urias on my preseason 25 man roster so that is another miss.

What about Valaika as backup infielder?  Can he play short?  I know he can play 3B and 2B.

1 hour ago, Eric-OH said:

I’d guess an infield of Mountcastle, Bannon, Martin and perhaps Valaika would be backed up by a middle infielder who doesn’t make the final cut (rank the springs of Herrera, Urena, Urias?).  Not a bad offensive group.  Not a super defensive group.  Maybe not that far off from the mlb club except for Iglesias’ unmatched glove and R Nunez’ pop.  Could Martin and Bannon be the ‘kind-of near future’ versions of those two? Bannon impressed me in games with his power and ability to drive the ball and then back at minor league camp just belting bombs at cage sessions.  He can hit a bit so he represents upside. I don’t know what’s an evaluator for the O’s as they make these calls.  We’ll see if/how/when they’re forced to make roster decisions

I thought we were talking about the MLB club.

1 hour ago, Eric-OH said:

My mistake.  I’m usually not

The O’s SS will hopefully be Iglesias for just about every inning of every game.  Without knowing the season’s specifics, in a normal year I’d say Iglesias comes to the plate 525 times at least.  His presence means that Martin can fully marinate in AAA and not have to sit.  

That is my thinking on Martin as well. The question we were discussing was whether Valaika or Velazquez makes the big club as backup SS/utility. One thing I like about Velazquez is he is a switch hitter. His skillset is pretty much ultimate utility player.