How and when will MLB resume in 2020? Update: Owners Agree - Proposal Submitted to Union

PaulFolk

I came here to see if anyone was discussing the proposal to restart the season in early July, but I see we are still talking politics and Covid virus.  All these "experts" but yet no one knows anything.  

Guess I'll check back in a few days to see if we can actually talk baseball again.  

• Upvote 1

There's a good Twitter thread from Sean Doolittle about some of the health concerns the players will want to be addressed in MLB's proposal. A few things he mentions:

• Worried about the long-term effects if someone gets COVID. "On top of respiratory issues, there's been evidence of kidney, intestinal, and liver damage, as well as neurological malfunctions, blood clots & strokes." Also lung scarring and possible fertility complications for men.
  • Sharing indoor spaces increases the infection risk, so will MLB make any modifications to clubhouses or other facilities to mitigate this?
  • How frequently will everyone be tested? Not just players, but all support staff (coaches, umps, security, grounds crew, media, hotel workers, transportation workers) How does MLB plan to get those tests? What's the plan if someone tests positive for the virus?
  • Will there be added healthcare benefits for players and staff?
  • What happens if there's a second wave in the fall?

All good questions. Hopefully MLB has some reasonable plans to address these issues, or I'm not sure their plan will pass muster with the MLBPA.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

I came here to see if anyone was discussing the proposal to restart the season in early July, but I see we are still talking politics and Covid virus.  All these "experts" but yet no one knows anything.  

Guess I'll check back in a few days to see if we can actually talk baseball again.  

Weams just posted an article above your comment that said teams are aiming for start of the season in early July without fans in home stadiums preferably but if they can't play in home stadium they could share a stadium  with another team.

But they want players salaries based on revenue.  Players are balking at this.  Seems like it will come down to if the players want to play or not. 

4 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

There's a good Twitter thread from Sean Doolittle about some of the health concerns the players will want to be addressed in MLB's proposal. A few things he mentions:

• Worried about the long-term effects if someone gets COVID. "On top of respiratory issues, there's been evidence of kidney, intestinal, and liver damage, as well as neurological malfunctions, blood clots & strokes." Also lung scarring and possible fertility complications for men.
  • Sharing indoor spaces increases the infection risk, so will MLB make any modifications to clubhouses or other facilities to mitigate this?
  • How frequently will everyone be tested? Not just players, but all support staff (coaches, umps, security, grounds crew, media, hotel workers, transportation workers) How does MLB plan to get those tests? What's the plan if someone tests positive for the virus?
  • Will there be added healthcare benefits for players and staff?
  • What happens if there's a second wave in the fall?

All good questions. Hopefully MLB has some reasonable plans to address these issues, or I'm not sure their plan will pass muster with the MLBPA.

UFC has to test 1200 people to have a single day of fights.  Multiple that by 30 and by the days in the month and you will get an idea of how many tests would be needed.  

21 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

I’m discussing the new proposal.  I think that the Union will try to stick to the original salary aspects.  

23 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Come back!

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, weams said:

I’m discussing the new proposal.  I think that the Union will try to stick to the original salary aspects.  

I still don't believe there will be baseball this season. Money will prevent it at this point.

I'm all for it! At this point, they can play any schedule under any rules, just get baseball back on the field! 

I will say I love the fact they want to expand the DH to the NL. That's been needed for so long it's not funny. 

I also like the idea of playing mostly against regional teams for this short season. That lessons the travel overall and requires less off days to catch up for travel. 

I'm hoping they change the leagues and Divisions around anyways, going to a more East vs West for leagues or focusing Divisions to being based on region and economic factors.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm all for it! At this point, they can play any schedule under any rules, just get baseball back on the field! 

I will say I love the fact they want to expand the DH to the NL. That's been needed for so long it's not funny. 

I also like the idea of playing mostly against regional teams for this short season. That lessons the travel overall and requires less off days to catch up for travel. 

I'm hoping they change the leagues and Divisions around anyways, going to a more East vs West for leagues or focusing Divisions to being based on region and economic factors.

This is a completely fanless proposal, so I was not sure how you would feel. 

• weams unlocked and locked this topic