Owners submit new economic plan to union : UPDATED

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Yes of course.  NCAA teams have an incentive to cheat. And the players all have big incentive to go to programs that pay the most.  If they didn't cheat they wouldn't get any salary.  If they cheat they get paid.  Coaches get millions of dollars for cheating. If they don't cheat they get fired. 

So... won't MLB teams have a huge incentive to get around the salary cap?  Teams will get many millions in revenues for winning more, for winning playoff series, for winning the World Series.  We already know they'll cheat with sign stealing, doctoring balls and bats.  Why not going around the cap?

24 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

To me a salary cap is something that some owners want placed on some other owners that want to buy championships.

I'm sure a lot of business owners would love to cap how much money their competition can spend to a level similar to their ability to spend.  But good luck getting the well-off teams to vote for limiting their ability to compete, and impacting their franchise values.

This is the conversation:

Royals: "Hey Dodgers, will you stop spending so much money so you lose more games and I can win more games at your expense?  And maybe take a hit in how much the Dodgers are worth, too."

Dodgers: "Ummm... no."

44 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Good points, but players will sign with the Yanks over the Orioles or the Rays even with a cap because of facilities, fans, tradition, coaching, and being on ESPN four times a week.  The Yanks will still have $650M in revenues, and they won't just take everything over the cap as profits, they will find ways to make that revenue advantageous.  Just like Alabama or Clemson, Duke or Kansas.  Limiting player salaries are just one aspect of competitive balance.

I think we already see this in the international arena. International players know who the Yankees are. they are less inclined to know much about the Orioles.

I do agree though that a salary cap is only one aspect to leveling the playing field.

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm sure a lot of business owners would love to cap how much money their competition can spend to a level similar to their ability to spend.  But good luck getting the well-off teams to vote for limiting their ability to compete, and impacting their franchise values.

This is the conversation:

Royals: "Hey Dodgers, will you stop spending so much money so you lose more games and I can win more games at your expense?  And maybe take a hit in how much the Dodgers are worth, too."

Dodgers: "Ummm... no."

Just put a bunch of caps on all the different type of spending.

You want Theo working for you, fine, but you can't pay the pitching coach more than 200K.

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just put a bunch of caps on all the different type of spending.

You want Theo working for you, fine, but you can't pay the pitching coach more than 200K.

Transportation.  The Yanks can fly in their gold-plated charter jet part of the year, but gas goes up a little and they're taking a 26-hour Greyhound ride to Milwaukee in September.

35 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The Spirit's average home crowd will only be down about 6100 a game compared to last year.

6100 people a game is pretty good.  I am not sure why you are trying to make it bad.   Do you hate women?  

Also there stadium capacity is only 4,000.  I am sure if the played at Camden Yards or all their games were at Audi field their attendance would be much higher. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So... won't MLB teams have a huge incentive to get around the salary cap?  Teams will get many millions in revenues for winning more, for winning playoff series, for winning the World Series.  We already know they'll cheat with sign stealing, doctoring balls and bats.  Why not going around the cap?

You would argue the sky is purple if I said it was blue.  Checking the NHL, NBA and NFL standings and the New York teams are all doing pretty badly.  The punishment was pretty severe for teams cheating on international signing bonuses a few years back, I believe. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

You would argue the sky is purple if I said it was blue.  Checking the NHL, NBA and NFL standings and the New York teams are all doing pretty badly.  The punishment was pretty severe for teams cheating on international signing bonuses a few years back, I believe. 

You said that cheating in the NCAA was not just commonplace, but accepted and expected.  But then that cheating on caps and restrictions in MLB would never happen.  I don't know that there's any justification for that beyond your wish that it will be true.