MLBTR: Players Make Counter-Proposal

weams

25 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Baseball is highly localized, football isn't, at least in part because of gambling (and its cousin, fantasy football).  Except the Yanks/Sox/Dodgers, almost all baseball games draw fewer eyeballs out-of-home-market than MTV's latest series about illiterate homeless 14-year-olds impregnated by Sasquatch.

His name is Daryl!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t think as many people will have baseball on their minds when it is 30 degrees outside. Many big college games are in November as well. LSU-Alabama etc. 

I don’t know what is going to happen with scripted TV either. 

College football (big games) are pretty much limited to one day of the week and MLB goes up against them with its postseason no matter when the postseason is played.   So I don't think college football is really particularly relevant here.   October has almost as many big CFB games as November, the only real difference is the big rivalry games played on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving.   But there are plenty of huge games in October every year as well.

Maybe the sports stations can show MLB playoff games in the afternoon and evening?   Have start times at 1 and 4.  Ya know...actually let kids watch the  games for a change.  Its not all about prime time, especially for the early early extra special series with the new 6 and 7 seeds?  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

College football (big games) are pretty much limited to one day of the week and MLB goes up against them with its postseason no matter when the postseason is played.   So I don't think college football is really particularly relevant here.   October has almost as many big CFB games as November, the only real difference is the big rivalry games played on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving.   But there are plenty of huge games in October every year as well.

True. I still think a lot of this goes back to TV deals. FOX is now a major player in college football. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

True. I still think a lot of this goes back to TV deals. FOX is now a major player in college football. 

Maybe have to stagger the postseason schedule so that the World Series has off days on Saturdays then.   In the grand scheme of things I don't think this is a major factor.   We don't even know if all the college football games are going to be played anyway.

Whatever happens -- games in front of no fans or at neutral sites -- it is going to be very different and not what we are used to or what we would want in a perfect world.   

I think if the union and owners can bridge the enormous financial gap between their proposals, the rest of the details won't be that big a deal.   I have my doubts that they can.

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Maybe have to stagger the postseason schedule so that the World Series has off days on Saturdays then.   In the grand scheme of things I don't think this is a major factor.   We don't even know if all the college football games are going to be played anyway.

Whatever happens -- games in front of no fans or at neutral sites -- it is going to be very different and not what we are used to or what we would want in a perfect world.   

I think if the union and owners can bridge the enormous financial gap between their proposals, the rest of the details won't be that big a deal.   I have my doubts that they can.

I will be shocked if we don’t have a season. Would really hurt the sport. 

I figured all along that deferred money would come up. I wasn’t surprised there was a big gap at first. I knew MLB’s first offer the union would spit at. 

13 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Maybe the sports stations can show MLB playoff games in the afternoon and evening?   Have start times at 1 and 4.  Ya know...actually let kids watch the  games for a change.  Its not all about prime time, especially for the early early extra special series with the new 6 and 7 seeds?  

Less chance of sub-zero temperature.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I will be shocked if we don’t have a season. Would really hurt the sport. 

I figured all along that deferred money would come up. I wasn’t surprised there was a big gap at first. I knew MLB’s first offer the union would spit at. 

I think both sides low balled their position on things, to give them wiggle room.

But both sides are so far apart, need more than wiggle to compromise.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Barret Jackson Autos and droll. :) :)

That's way too depressing.  First, it's almost all 1960s and 1970s muscle cars.  I know, I own a '63 Vette, but I'm not a muscle car guy.  Plus, about once every episode of Barrett Jackson they have a numbers-matching '63 split window that goes for $150k or more, and it just reminds me that I can't sell mine and I don't have the time or money to restore it.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's way too depressing.  First, it's almost all 1960s and 1970s muscle cars.  I know, I own a '63 Vette, but I'm not a muscle car guy.  Plus, about once every episode of Barrett Jackson they have a numbers-matching '63 split window that goes for $150k or more, and it just reminds me that I can't sell mine and I don't have the time or money to restore it.

Im older than you, so 60 and 70s is right in my wheelhouse (no pun intended).

Every time, my financial situation improves, and I think about buying me something. Dang prices go up again, and I end up sticking the money into home remodeling.

I was laughing with the wife the other day, brought my house in 92, and spent more money remodeling it and adding on to it, then the purchase price. :)

This isn’t a real proposal. If the owners wanted more games they would have put it in there proposal. And deferring salary with interest if there are no World Series  is comical.  That does nothing for the owners.  

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Im older than you, so 60 and 70s is right in my wheelhouse (no pun intended).

Every time, my financial situation improves, and I think about buying me something. Dang prices go up again, and I end up sticking the money into home remodeling.

I was laughing with the wife the other day, brought my house in 92, and spent more money remodeling it and adding on to it, then the purchase price. :)

If I had to do everything over I'd have bought an old Mini or a Citroen 2CV or something more reasonable, that you can fully restore for $20k or $30k, or sometimes even less.  You can buy a nice condition 2CV for $15k.  The split-window looks awesome and about once every three months a delivery guy or plumber or something comes by and says "hey, you have the holy grail!!"  But it doesn't do much good when it doesn't run and will take many tens of thousands of dollars and/or thousands of man hours to fix.