Is Manfred’s job in jeopardy?

Philip

9 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

A team had to switch leagues because of the imbalance in the number of teams in the leagues (and in one division  of each league). Houston was a good choice for that move. But the continuing problem of having leagues with an odd number of teams is the result of Manfred's mismanagement of expansion, which in turn has been extended by his failure to force a resolution of the difficult situations in Tampa and Oakland.

How can he force a resolution there?  He can't force taxpayers to pay for $1B stadiums.  I guess he could let them move, and pony up league cash to get them out of leases and other agreements, but the other owners won't want that.  I suppose he could go down the ridiculous road Bud did with the Expos, outright sabotaging the franchise in an attempt to get a new stadium funded by the people of Montreal, and then throwing the team into this protracted conflict with the Orioles. 

And the other owners don't really want expansion, either, because they'll be splitting the national revenues two more ways.  Although they might be swayed by two $1B expansion fees.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The All Star game was a great idea back when there was no TV, no interleague play.  One game where you could see all the stars, and they treated it like a game, not a contest to see if you could get 33 players into a single 9-inning game.  But it went past it's sell-by date a couple decades ago, and baseball being baseball, will stick with it in it's present form all the way to the bitter end.

As for the drug situation, that's Bud's biggest problem, although he has others.  His fake naiveté is astonishing.  He had no problem posing with and cheerleading for Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and the rest of the pro wrestlers while adoring crowds poured money into his coffers.  But then when the hard evidence of PED use became too much to deny he was ***stunned*** that these nice boys from Mayberry would ever do such a thing to sully the national pastime, and they all need to be crucified because no one in management ever had the slightest inkling of what was going on.  No siree, we assumed Bret Boone turned into Rowdy Roddy Piper because he ate good solid American beef and corn.  Of course he wasn't going to return a penny of the $millions he made off of the offensive explosion and pitchers throwing 96 into their 40s.

I'm really not sure what Manfred has done that's so damaging.  Replay?  That was going to happen nevertheless, you can't continue having obviously incorrect calls decide game after game. Talking about pitch clocks and banning the shift without really doing anything?  2nd wildcard?  Someone needed to do something about the fact that winning the division had no advantages over winning the wildcard.  What are Manfred's cardinal sins that other commishes wouldn't have committed?

You’ve already listed some of the things with which I strenuously disagree, and the fact that you don’t see any problem with them indicates that we are approaching the subject from different perspectives. And that’s OK, reasonable people can disagree.

In addition to what you mention, the cheating situation was badly handled, The juiced baseball made games less interesting instead of more interesting, and Manfred was apparently blatantly lying when he insisted that the ball had not been modified, when every independent test confirmed otherwise. 

Finally the idea that a shorter game is a better game is fundamentally wrong, and ignores the goal of improving the game. What you said in the other thread about the extra games is an incredibly important point. Everybody at the game has already paid for their ticket. When the baseball announcers talk about “free baseball” they are literally correct. MLB Already has their money. Every inning after nine costs them money without bringing any in. They can’t sell beer at the stadium after seventh inning, so there’s no more concession income, so they get nothing except whatever reduced rate they have negotiated with advertisers.( I don’t know how they deal with advertising so I can’t comment on that) So limiting length of game is actually a way to save money. But the entire goal of striving for a shorter game is flawed.

There are rule changes that could help, by increasing activity on the base paths, which is where the interest is, but we haven’t heard a word of anything productive.

47 minutes ago, Philip said:

You’ve already listed some of the things with which I strenuously disagree, and the fact that you don’t see any problem with them indicates that we are approaching the subject from different perspectives. And that’s OK, reasonable people can disagree.

In addition to what you mention, the cheating situation was badly handled, The juiced baseball made games less interesting instead of more interesting, and Manfred was apparently blatantly lying when he insisted that the ball had not been modified, when every independent test confirmed otherwise. 

Finally the idea that a shorter game is a better game is fundamentally wrong, and ignores the goal of improving the game. What you said in the other thread about the extra games is an incredibly important point. Everybody at the game has already paid for their ticket. When the baseball announcers talk about “free baseball” they are literally correct. MLB Already has their money. Every inning after nine costs them money without bringing any in. They can’t sell beer at the stadium after seventh inning, so there’s no more concession income, so they get nothing except whatever reduced rate they have negotiated with advertisers.( I don’t know how they deal with advertising so I can’t comment on that) So limiting length of game is actually a way to save money. But the entire goal of striving for a shorter game is flawed.

There are rule changes that could help, by increasing activity on the base paths, which is where the interest is, but we haven’t heard a word of anything productive.

I agree that Manfred handled the cheating situation poorly.  It's amazing that dozens of players participated or at least knew about it and none of them get any kind of suspension or fine.

We'll just have to disagree on the game length and pacing.  And you'll have to tell me what happens the next day after I've gone to bed with two out in the 7th.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Philip said:

Do the Orioles receive the advertising dollars?  I thought it was the broadcasting companies.  Why else would they pay the Orioles to air the games?

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I agree that Manfred handled the cheating situation poorly.  It's amazing that dozens of players participated or at least knew about it and none of them get any kind of suspension or fine.

We'll just have to disagree on the game length and pacing.  And you'll have to tell me what happens the next day after I've gone to bed with two out in the 7th.

Ok, fair enough...

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

Do the Orioles receive the advertising dollars?  I thought it was the broadcasting companies.  Why else would they pay the Orioles to air the games?

Like I said, I don’t know any details about that, but it seems reasonable that the team/MLB would get something. But that just reinforces the point that MLB doesn’t get any financial benefit from extra innings, so their interest in stupid rules is entirely selfish

• 4 weeks later...