Juan Soto tests positive for COVID-19

GuidoSarducci

54 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

When Rudy Gobert tested positive, he had played a full game against the Toronto Raptors. None of the opposing players (including the ones guarding him the whole game) contracted the virus, and they were playing indoors, in much closer quarters than baseball players get to each other. Anything is possible, but baseball being played outdoors should greatly prevent transmission to opposing players in general. 

Soto's Nationals teammates obviously may be at risk, but the O's players should be fine. Guess we'll find out.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e2.htm

Masks work

With these nit being that accurate it wouldn’t surprise me it was a false positive.  Someone at our tested positives we shut down office they had everyone get tested and retested him two days later with everyone else and he came back negative.  He had no symptoms and neither did anyone else and just got that one positive and 4 negatives now.

4 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

With these nit being that accurate it wouldn’t surprise me it was a false positive.  Someone at our tested positives we shut down office they had everyone get tested and retested him two days later with everyone else and he came back negative.  He had no symptoms and neither did anyone else and just got that one positive and 4 negatives now.

I have heard that someone who is positive and gets over it and keeps getting re-tested periodically will occasionally pop up with a positive once in a while.  It's a problem in the health care industry.  A doctor or nurse who is being tested regularly will get it, have positive results, do everything right, quarantine, etc, get over it, and are allowed to come back to work.  Get tested every 3 days or every week or whatever, have 9 negative tests in a row, then one will come up +.

At that point what do you do?  Another two weeks of quarantine which is the normal rule?  Where this doctor or nurse can't do their job.

No easy solutions.  Anyway this could apply to Soto since I believe he was quarantined at the start of camp.  And it could be something that could happen with a Freddie Freeman or Anthony Santander as they regularly get tested now that they are back.

• Like 1

The Nats "turnaround" last year had to do IMO mostly with Turner coming back from injury and being healthy.  That team could have put up very strong win totals if Turner had not been injured.  There is enough talent there to get through a couple of weeks without Soto.

3 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

The Nats "turnaround" last year had to do IMO mostly with Turner coming back from injury and being healthy.  That team could have put up very strong win totals if Turner had not been injured.  There is enough talent there to get through a couple of weeks without Soto.

Don't forget that Rendon is gone too.   I look at that middle of the order tonight without Soto and don't see too many guys I fear.   Eric Thams?  Starlin Castro?  Asdrubel Cabera?   Kurt Suzuki?  Kendrick was a great story but I'll bet most contending teams have a far more fearsome cleanup hitter.

Yeah, the starting pitching looks great, of course.   And if the Nationals have FINALLY fixed their long term bullpen Achilles heel, they'll be right there,   But it's a very tough division and schedule, and that batting order is very underwhelming.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

They think the test could very well be a false positive.  He'll get tested again today.    

I’m not clear on this, they say a player needs two consecutive negative tests to return.  Do they also need to be away for 14 days minimum?  Could Soto be playing next week?

2 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I’m not clear on this, they say a player needs two consecutive negative tests to return.  Do they also need to be away for 14 days minimum?  Could Soto be playing next week?

No, he can come back once he has two negative tests 24+ hours apart. He took a test yesterday and will take another one today. If the initial test was a false positive, and yesterday and today's test come back negative, he would be eligible to play immediately.

It is possible that he will get the results of yesterday and today's test before the Nats game tomorrow night, if so, and if both tests are negative, he would be eligible to play tomorrow night.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

No, he can come back once he has two negative tests 24+ hours apart. He took a test yesterday and will take another one today. If the initial test was a false positive, and yesterday and today's test come back negative, he would be eligible to play immediately.

It is possible that he will get the results of yesterday and today's test before the Nats game tomorrow night, if so, and if both tests are negative, he would be eligible to play tomorrow night.

“If a Covered Individual continues to test positive on repeat PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) tests, and the treating physician feels that inactive noninfectious viral particles are the reason for the prolonged PCR test results, the Joint Committees medical advisors may approve clearance of the individual upon an analysis of the circumstances and test results, provided that all other requirements for clearance (including a lack of symptomology) are satisfied.”

Apparently the union and the league has recognized the issue of false positives when players previously had COVID, and they are adjusting the protocol when asymptomatic players that previously had COVID test positive.

So this should allow players who are healthy but test positive anyway to return without two negative tests.

45 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Apparently the union and the league has recognized the issue of false positives when players previously had COVID, and they are adjusting the protocol when asymptomatic players that previously had COVID test positive.

So this should allow players who are healthy but test positive anyway to return without two negative tests.

Thanks for the clarification on the rules - that's good to hear.  

In that vein (so to speak), I used to donate blood to the Red Cross blood bank every 2 to 3 months until one time when they said my blood tested positive for Hep C.  They were good enough to lead me to having NIH re-test me, and NIH found that it was a false positive test - so I forwarded the results and conclusion to the Red Cross asking if they would accept my blood donations going forward.  Their response was NO - even though they accepted the NIH results as proof that it was a false positive test.  They said the reasoning was that I was likely to continue testing positive on their tests, and they were not going to change their tests.  Years later, I asked them again - they said I'm permanently banned from donating to the blood bank, and there's nothing they can do about it.  False positives can be very frustrating.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

That is why you hear the media with these they got it twice stories trying to get fear you can keep getting it.  They more then likely have limited virus in them for long period just depends what the sample comes out.  It’s like a half life formula you have still the substance in you it just can’t reproduce. Same thing with that cruise ship like 5 weeks later that still had traces on it. You couldn’t get infected by it but it was there still some on surfaces.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Looks like Soto May have been a false positive.  Convenient for NYY.

That was a helluva game yesterday (I watched it on condensed MLB).  Nats led for 7 innings and then Gleyber and Co. erupted with the big flies and relievers including Zack sealed the deal, including a runner who had stolen third, had his hand slip off the bag and was tagged out.  Playoff baseball so early in this lost season!

Soto has had two straight negative tests (around 5pm), but now he has to get approval from the league and city department of health and they don’t indicate a timetable for that.  So for one of the game’s youngest stars, he’ll miss at least five games for a false positive.

2 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Soto has had two straight negative tests (around 5pm), but now he has to get approval from the league and city department of health and they don’t indicate a timetable for that.  So for one of the game’s youngest stars, he’ll miss at least five games for a false positive.

On one hand we have an apparent overabundance of caution in the Soto situation while simultaneously having the Marlins take the field knowing they have players testing positive.

Fun time.