Alex Cobb, Orioles give it right back to Sox

weams

4 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m curious why the error at third was in Santander’s throw and not on Valiaka muffing the bounce. It was a short throw, but it didn’t seem like a difficult bounce.

If the ball skips on the ground, isn’t that almost an automatic charge to the thrower by the scorekeeper?

6 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

If the ball skips on the ground, isn’t that almost an automatic charge to the thrower by the scorekeeper?

From what I've seen, yes.  Just like a pitch in the dirt that gets away from the catcher allowing a runner to advance is pretty much always called a wild pitch.  Hard to blame the person trying to catch the ball if the pitch or throw bounces,

48 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I have no idea. Making a pick is one of the basic skills of being an infielder, So it seem to me like it should’ve been on the third baseman. But if that’s the traditional rule, then sure thanks for telling me

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Based on the highlights, looked like his velocity was up compared to what I've seen.

Just watched the recap of all of the K's and Ben said, "That is called "On your game", but it sounded like in Bayou drawl "Own your game".  FTW

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Number5 said:

From what I've seen, yes.  Just like a pitch in the dirt that gets away from the catcher allowing a runner to advance is pretty much always called a wild pitch.  Hard to blame the person trying to catch the ball if the pitch or throw bounces,

Except for the catcher?  Severino was charged with a PB on one of Cobb's K's yesterday that bounced (must be some discretion here also if C is "crossed up").  Also, I wonder if thinking (by scorers) is changing on throws to first from third, particularly made famous by Manny and others.  Fielders routinely skip throws to first, especially on turf. @Philip

58 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Except for the catcher?  Severino was charged with a PB on one of Cobb's K's yesterday that bounced (must be some discretion here also if C is "crossed up").  Also, I wonder if thinking (by scorers) is changing on throws to first from third, particularly made famous by Manny and others.  Fielders routinely skip throws to first, especially on turf. @Philip

Yes, there is always some subjectivity by the official scorer.  The same exact play may be called one way in one ball park, and the other way in another ball park.  There is no "rule."  Most often though, the error (or wild pitch) is charged to the thrower/pitcher if the ball bounces.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Yes, there is always some subjectivity by the official scorer.  The same exact play may be called one way in one ball park, and the other way in another ball park.  There is no "rule."  Most often though, the error (or wild pitch) is charged to the thrower/pitcher if the ball bounces.

And official scorers aren't even at the ballpark this year.  They are at home, making their decisions from their couch.