Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

21 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Cardinals and Brewers postponed.  Unknown amount of Cardinals have tested positive.  No Marlins, Phillies, Nationals, Blue Jays, Brewers, or Cardinals playing today.

If it is just two they may not need to do a Marlins like shutdown, hopefully nobody else tests positive over the next couple days.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MountUrCastle said:

We literally have someone who tested positive before the season started with Myocarditis, something commonly indicated in such "lowly disease" as HIV, ricketts, chlamydia, and polio. If there was a polio breakout in the MLB we wouldn't be having this conversation right now- nobody did with Spanish Flu.

Yeah and Juan Soto may have been a false positive.  Slap the word asymptomatic on it and no one can do anything.  Very convenient.  Where's atomic?  I'm sure he wants to say "I told you so."

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

If it is just two they may not need to do a Marlins like shutdown, hopefully nobody else tests positive over the next couple days.

So use the taxi squad and move on... the only reason this game was postponed because it was scheduled for 2:10 pm EDT.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The airplane travel does add another wrinkle to the contact tracing.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

They already expanded the playoffs to 8 teams, I will not be all that broken up if the 9th best team gets into the playoffs over the 8th best team.

As a player, I think it’d matter if you have a playoff share at stake.

Just now, orioles119 said:

Yeah and Juan Soto may have been a false positive.  Slap the word asymptomatic on it and no one can do anything.  Very convenient.  Where's atomic?  I'm sure he wants to say "I told you so."

Quite truthfully, what the hell does a false positive for CoViD have to do with someone being diagnosed with myocarditis linked to their diagnosis of the virus?

1 minute ago, orioles119 said:

I think people are misusing the term "false positive" when it comes to Juan Soto and other people who had the virus and later tested positive.

It is a known issue that people who had the virus may not be able to consistently pass future tests. This has been an issue with medical professionals who had the virus early on and after having recovered have been prevented from going back to work due to protocols. This is distinct from a typical false positive, because we know why it occurred.

From what I have read, there are very few true false positives (ie. people who never have the virus and can't pop a negative result). Having this issue is better than the alternative of raising the threshold for virus levels to trigger a positive that false negatives become common. It is a balancing act.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

As a player, I think it’d matter if you have a playoff share at stake.

None of it is ultimately going to be perfectly fair.

60 games aren't enough to make a true determination of who the best team is, the schedules are already uneven with teams playing only their own division and the cross-league division, getting unlucky with the timing of when opponents catch the virus and playing them at full strength while other teams played them in a depleted state, being scheduled to play a team that missed several games because their opponents tested positive and thus you have to face their best pitchers when you otherwise wouldn't have, etc., etc.

The 8th best team not making the playoffs is pretty far down the list of issues, to me.

17 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The airplane travel does add another wrinkle to the contact tracing.

Modern airplanes are actually designed to not circulate air across everyone sans filtration. 

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/how-clean-and-safe-is-a-planes-cabin-air

It's important that players don't sit on top of each other, but teams aren't travelling on a crowded Southwest flight from Baltimore to Orlando

21 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

So use the taxi squad and move on... the only reason this game was postponed because it was scheduled for 2:10 pm EDT.

Nah, it doesn't work that way. Do contact tracing of the two players who tested positive and wait at least through the weekend to see whether any other players test positive.

This is where you hope that the social distancing you did over the last several days, when the players had it but didn't know, works. It is not when you can just ramp up the social distancing now and hope for the best.