Richard Bleier Traded to Miami

oriolesacox

5 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I did watch. The larger point is that many in the org disagree with you.

They might see potential, and I would agree with that. I don't think anyone could look at a 5.3 BB/9 and call him reliable. His usage in games (low to medium leverage) is evidence of the organization's assessment. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

They might see potential, and I would agree with that. I don't think anyone could look at a 5.3 BB/9 and call him reliable. His usage in games (low to medium leverage) is evidence of the organization's assessment. 

Ok, but he didn’t walk any last night. Now, of course I’d like to see better command of the FB, but he battled around that last night and gave up nothing. Hardly a mess.

15 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I was surprised at the trade, not because I can't believe they traded Richard Bleier, but who they traded him to. The only thing I can think of is the Marlins offered up a list of guys and at least one of the guys was about what he could have expected to get for Bleier from a contender later in the season.

It's pretty obvious that the Orioles want to give long looks to Tanner Scott this year as well, and I expect him to fulfill Bleier's role. Maybe this will give Keegan Akin a shot to get some major league innings this year as well, though I heard his velocity has been down in the Bowie camp and he has not been pitching well (take with a grain of salt though because some guys have a hard time getting amped up to play intersquad games).

So I guess I look at this two ways. They got a return they were surprised to get from the Marlins and jumped on it or they are trying to open up innings for their younger pitchers in order to get a good look at them.

Obviously having good older relievers helping the team win games is not good for the big picture (trying to get 1st or 2nd overall pick again), though it does make it a little more fun for us fans watching.

As a fan I really enjoyed watching Bleier pitch when he was healthy and he will go down as a nice little story for the Orioles during some dark years.

Something else to consider is that the Marlins have a top 5-10 system, depending on who you listen to.

I say this because not all player rankings are equal.  We could get a guy ranked 23rd in their organization but a guy who be ranked 12th in other organizations.

Im guessing Elias did ok here..if he didn’t, the trade just makes no sense at all and I’m not one who thinks Bleier is that good.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Something else to consider is that the Marlins have a top 5-10 system, depending on who you listen to.

I say this because not all player rankings are equal.  We could get a guy ranked 23rd in their organization but a guy who be ranked 12th in other organizations.

Im guessing Elias did ok here..if he didn’t, the trade just makes no sense at all and I’m not one who thinks Bleier is that good.

It was a professional courtesy.  Like when they traded Yaz to the Giants because they needed minor league outfield depth (that worked out well) or when they traded...I'm drawing a blank on the name...the right handed sidearm pitcher to the A's since they already had O'Day.

The Marlins need players to fill out a roster.

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It was a professional courtesy.  Like when they traded Yaz to the Giants because they needed minor league outfield depth (that worked out well) or when they traded...I'm drawing a blank on the name...the right handed sidearm pitcher to the A's since they already had O'Day.

The Marlins need players to fill out a roster.

I don’t understand your logic....We traded on of our better relievers with 2 years of control left as a professional courtesy.

Elias was quoted as saying 

But I think we’re going to get something back that we like that is meaningful for our future and what we’re doing.

I’m guessing they have agreed to a handful of names to chose after the season when they are eligible for trade

Maybe someone like Osiris Johnson

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I don’t understand your logic....We traded on of our better relievers with 2 years of control left as a professional courtesy.

Elias was quoted as saying 

I’m guessing they have agreed to a handful of names to chose after the season when they are eligible for trade

Maybe someone like Osiris Johnson

Right?  What are you confused about?

This isn't a contending team.  Trading Bleier doesn't hurt the rebuild.

We'll see the return and then we'll know.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right?  What are you confused about?

This isn't a contending team.  Trading Bleier doesn't hurt the rebuild.

We'll see the return and then we'll know.

And btw - Hyde parlayed that move into a W by using Brian Holaday at first in a key moment!  Already paid off dividend!  ? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who lacks sense. He saw someone he liked. It may not pan out at the end but I doubt this was done without a bit of research. It’s certainly not financially motivated.