MLB dot com: Hanser Alberto is Orioles biggest surprise

BohKnowsBmore

jfenem9r2cfijaxmqd8d

Everything in this season so far has been surprising, both good and bad. At this point, it is probably best just to steel one’s self for these kinds of surprises all season. That doesn’t mean it won’t be fun. It just means that surprise should be the default emotion at this point. It’s a wild season, to say the least.

With that in mind, today we look at the most surprising start by a player on every team. Some of these are good, some of these are bad, but all of them are the opposite of what anyone could have reasonably expected. Then again: We should probably not “expect” anything at this point. Just take in the madness.

Orioles -- Hanser Alberto, 2B: There are obviously many guys to choose from here -- José Iglesias, Rio Ruiz, Renato Núñez, Pedro Severino -- but Alberto, when you consider his defense (and that he is hitting .429) might be the most valuable player in baseball so far. Hanser Alberto!

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Alberto isn't alone in this respect, but he's a weird one IMO as he is a guy who had success last year and has good numbers in a very SSS. Ruiz hitting for power, for example, would be a bigger surprise in my mind. That said, the premise is really just, "hey look at these guys who are doing really well or really poorly in a very short group of games"

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

For those who watched the Orioles last year (and I recognize that's a small number), this year's biggest surprise so far has to be Iglesias, IMO. 

Or Alex Cobb's positive results thus far

Or John Means (an All Star last season) firing 96 in his first game back

23 hours ago, Griffey said:

And that's not counting how much he's probably helping the team outside the lines.  Hanser is a spark plug and is fun to watch.  He really enjoys being out there and it's infectious to the clubhouse.

Maybe you should use a different word to describe Hanser's positive clubhouse influence.  ?

• Haha 4

I'd go with the entire infield being the O's surprise - now that Nunez is getting it done at 1B - the biggest surprise there being that he's playing 1B.  Iglesias, Alberto, and Ruiz are givens as surprises.  We'll just have to see how long they keep it up.  Being that they have the next 4 games at home vs Miami could be a big plus for their stats.  Just hope that Iglesias gets healthy.  Tbh, I'm most surprised by Ruiz.  He really looks like he put in the work in the gym to get in better shape and stronger.    

My brother, who is very knowledgeable about the team and works in the sports journalism industry, seems to think there’s no way we re-sign Alberto. Says he won’t be a part of our next winning team. I disagreed with him strongly. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I think it is fair to say Alberto has reached Nugget status. Say what you will about his approach, he gets results. I wonder what would happen if he were instructed to take all the way until he has at least a strike. 

Is being in the realm of league average for 1 full season and a handful of games all it takes for nugget status? Personally, I’d like to see more than that before I think anyone is a solid long term solution. He has an extremely volatile skillset and it’s one that is unlikely to produce consistent value.