I'm Ready for Mountcastle and Diaz: Mountcastle Up, Diaz Still Waiting

ChuckS

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And the comparison means nothing.  

Mountcastle was drafted out of HS, as a SS.  Maybe Mancini played SS or 3rd in HS?  Perhaps if Mountcastle went to college, we would already know that he couldn’t handle those positions.

A lot of MLers played premium positions well into their teens.

Mountcastle is more athletic than Mancini overall and moves a bit better though Mancini is not as slow as some like to think. Let not forget, at 22 years of age, Ryan Mountcastle slashed .312/.344/.527/.871 in AAA. At 22 years old, Mancini slashed .284/.326/.409/.735 between Delmarva and Frederick.

His upside offensively is much higher than Mancini, though Mancini gets ht most of his talents because he's a very smart hitter who  makes very good in at bat adjustments and has a really good game plan at the plate.

Mountcastle gets by on pure talent, bat speed, ability to barrel balls off the plate, plate coverage, and raw power. If he develops a better plan at the plate and puts in the time with the scouting reports on pitchers and so forth, he has a chance to be a monster at the plate. 

I know you also said he's similar to Nunez at the plate, but again, Mountcastle out performed Nunez at the same age/level in just about every year and particularly in AAA. 

Defensively he is who he is right now but I've heard that holding his own in LF down in Bowie. 

I agree with you that Mancini, Nunez, Sisco (1b/DH) and Mountcastle all have similar profiles as bat first guys who are defensively challenged, but Mountcastle has the most upside in the bat by a fairly significant amount IMHO.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Mountcastle is more athletic than Mancini overall and moves a bit better though Mancini is not as slow as some like to think. Let not forget, at 22 years of age, Ryan Mountcastle slashed .312/.344/.527/.871 in AAA. At 22 years old, Mancini slashed .284/.326/.409/.735 between Delmarva and Frederick.

His upside offensively is much higher than Mancini, though Mancini gets ht most of his talents because he's a very smart hitter who  makes very good in at bat adjustments and has a really good game plan at the plate.

Mountcastle gets by on pure talent, bat speed, ability to barrel balls off the plate, plate coverage, and raw power. If he develops a better plan at the plate and puts in the time with the scouting reports on pitchers and so forth, he has a chance to be a monster at the plate. 

I know you also said he's similar to Nunez at the plate, but again, Mountcastle out performed Nunez at the same age/level in just about every year and particularly in AAA. 

Defensively he is who he is right now but I've heard that holding his own in LF down in Bowie. 

I agree with you that Mancini, Nunez, Sisco (1b/DH) and Mountcastle all have similar profiles as bat first guys who are defensively challenged, but Mountcastle has the most upside in the bat by a fairly significant amount IMHO.

Not saying body type is everything but Ryan is about 20 lbs lighter than Mancini as well.

32 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

It's 8/20 and I'm still ready for Mountcastle and Diaz.

With each passing game now, it becomes less likely we see these guys this year.  Why waste a year of service time for 30 some odd games or less?  I was all for getting them some development time this season at the big league level but at a certain point, there's not enough games left to even bother. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I get why you mention the MiL numbers and it’s valid but Mancini has exceeded what the expectations were for him.  At this point, what he did in the minors means very little.  Same with Nunez.  Now, it does show that RM perhaps has a higher ceiling but the likely outcome is that he ends up similar to Mancini.  

Do you think Mountcastle is an 850ish OPs guy on a consistent basis?

Like I said, he was a top 30 player in baseball last year, offensively.  Mountcastle will be hard pressed to do that.  I would guess that Mountcastle May have “better bad seasons” but his OBP is going to keep him down.  Unless he develops the ability to at least walk some (say 7-8%), he will struggle to have a 330 OBP.    I don’t think he consistently slugs in the 550 range, so that ends up putting to him in the area of Mancini.

2 hours ago, makoman said:

But I thought his primary problem was arm, not athleticism? Again, much lower bar in left to be averagish. 

I’m pretty sure range was an issue too, at least at SS.

And if he doesn’t have the arm for the IF, hard times believe he has much more of an arm than Johnny Damon in the OF.