O's-Nats Game Suspended

cboemmeljr

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

If the Orioles are going to file a complaint and/or protest the game, I would hope that they would file it beforehand.

o

File the protest tomorrow morning when the league office opens for business. This game should be official if MLB is really concerned about protecting players from COVID-19 exposure and not overtaxing the players in this aggressive 60 game season.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

File the protest tomorrow morning when the league office opens for business. This game should be official if MLB is really concerned about protecting players from COVID-19 exposure and not overtaxing the players in this aggressive 60 game season.

I can’t understand why it wasn’t called an Orioles win. Enough innings were played and the field was unplayable 

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t remember, but I’m wondering how many members of that grounds crew were wearing masks?

edit: I just looked and they all were. Oh wellI just looked and they all were. Oh well

They had a report on CH 13 this AM that said that bandannas and the silk hoodie mask offered little to no protection for the wearer or the people around the person wearing it.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I can’t understand why it wasn’t called an Orioles win. Enough innings were played and the field was unplayable 

I'm curious if this was say the Braves or Marlins instead of the Nats, would this have been handled the same by MLB. Does the closeness and the fact there is a series in Baltimore coming up make it easier for MLB to decide they'll resume the game instead of calling it. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

They had a report on CH 13 this AM that said that bandannas and the silk hoodie mask offered little to no protection for the wearer or the people around the person wearing it.

They are obviously obeying the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law, but they are obeying it nonetheless.

4 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

OK, all anger and tongue-in-cheek humor aside, this is one of those things which good teams find a way to overcome and persevere.

Shit happens in life, and Major League Baseball is no exception ........ I was watching the game on WPIX-11 here in Brewster in August of 1978 in which the Orioles were the beneficiary of a very questionable rule when they were playing the Yankees at Memorial Stadium. With the Orioles leading by a score of 3-0, the Yankees scored 5 runs in the top of the 7th inning to take a 5-3 lead (or so they thought.) The Orioles were batting in the bottom half of the inning when torrential downpours came, forcing the game to be delayed. When the rain stopped, the field was no longer playable. Under the rules at the time, since the entire 7th inning had not yet been completed, they went backwards to the last full inning that was completed ........ which meant that the 5 runs that the Yankees scored were wiped away, and the Orioles were declared winners of the game by a score of 3-0.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL197808130.shtml

So to make a long story a little bit longer, the Orioles need to simply suck it up and complete the win on Friday ........ shit happens, and good teams roll with the punches when it does, they don't scream bloody murder because of an injustice.

o

o

Field of Wet Dreams ........

Sundayâs Orioles-Nationals game suspended, to resume Friday in Baltimore after tarp problems cause lengthy delay

o

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Philip said:

They are obviously obeying the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law, but they are obeying it nonetheless.

Agreed - the purpose of the rule was to protect the away team from the incompetence of the home team (with the home team having the lead).  In this case, the home team was behind and arguably benefits from their own incompetence.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ruzious said:

The weather caused the cancellation.  The incompetent crew just failed to mitigate the problems the weather caused.  

But if that were it, then we'd say five innings had been completed, official game, case closed. Here the weather-caused "cancellation" is being forestalled due to the grounds crew, which seems a little bass-ackwards as it benefited the home team

In 1993 the BaySox had just become a thing and PG County Stadium wasn't ready, so they played home games at Memorial Stadium.  I went to a game, and it started to rain.  The BaySox org was kind of a skeleton crew, and they really didn't have a grounds crew.  So they asked for volunteers from the stands.  I think I ran down to the field, of course I'd take the opportunity to be on the same field Cal and Brooks once played on.  We rolled out the tarp no problem at all.

If the Nats need a paid groundskeeping consultant I'm available.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I would have loved to see Earl Weaver’s response to something like that yesterday. Back in the day I guarantee we would have protested no matter what the rule said.   

No we wouldn't.  The game would have been ruled official back then and the Orioles would have won.