Orioles Opponents' BA With 2 Strikes (2020)

OFFNY

o

Prior to yesterday's game, the  Orioles ranked 2nd in the Major Leagues in Opponents Batting Average with 2 Strikes, at .119 )(29 for 244.)

In 2019, the Orioles ranked last (30th) in the Major Leagues in the same category, with opponents tallying a Batting Average of .192.

SOURCE: ) Roch Kubatko

2019: lllll .192 ll (30th lin the Major Leagues)

2020: lllll .119 ll (2nd llin the Major Leagues)

o

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

Prior to yesterday's game, the  Orioles ranked 2nd in the Major Leagues in Opponents Batting Average with 2 Strikes, at .119 )(29 for 244.)

In 2019, the Orioles ranked last (30th) in the Major Leagues in the same category, with opponents tallying a Batting Average of .192.

SOURCE: ) Roch Kubatko

2019: lllll .192 ll (30th lin the Major Leagues)

2020: lllll .119 ll (2nd llin the Major Leagues)

o

47 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Wow. Great news !!! Now, the follow-up question ...... is this due to random variance, or are the pitchers getting better coaching?  (or are they just better pitchers?)

o

There is random variance ........ and, the pitchers are getting better coaching ........ and, the pitchers are better ........ and, I'm just making this all up.

o

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Larger strikezone.

That would explain the two strike BA going down league-wide (which it has, .173 to .158).    It doesn’t explain the O’s going from 30th to 2nd.

I’m mostly going with small sample size.     But some improvement may factor in too.    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That would explain the two strike BA going down league-wide (which it has, .173 to .158).    It doesn’t explain the O’s going from 30th to 2nd.

I’m mostly going with small sample size.     But some improvement may factor in too.    

I was only trying to explain a factor as to why it has improved overall, not as to why the ranking has improved.

Hasn't that been one of our biggest complaint about a lot of the pitchers we've tossed out there the last few years, many of whom are no in Korea?   They don't have a pitch they can finish guys off with.

I'm sure sample size is a factor, but it does look like they have proactively attacked a team weakness and made at least some improvement.

• Upvote 1

I believe Hyde when he says guys are getting better. They brought Elias and Hyde in specifically to improve players with knowledge, analytics, and teaching players how to maximize and capitalize on their specific skill sets and characteristics. Now that it's working, why should we be so surprised? I think we are seeing the beginning of "Phase 2" of the Elias roadmap to competition.

5 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

I believe Hyde when he says guys are getting better. They brought Elias and Hyde in specifically to improve players with knowledge, analytics, and teaching players how to maximize and capitalize on their specific skill sets and characteristics. Now that it's working, why should we be so surprised? I think we are seeing the beginning of "Phase 2" of the Elias roadmap to competition.

This is what I've been saying for yeeeeeeears.  That the bigger problem with the Orioles' lack of home grown pitching - particularly starting pitching - is not a lack of talent, rather a lack of adequate development.

If the new methods are as advertised, we're miraculously going to see more pitchers pan out regardless of how well regarded they are as prospects.

2 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

This is what I've been saying for yeeeeeeears.  That the bigger problem with the Orioles' lack of home grown pitching - particularly starting pitching - is not a lack of talent, rather a lack of adequate development.

If the new methods are as advertised, we're miraculously going to see more pitchers pan out regardless of how well regarded they are as prospects.

Makes you wonder what might have been if Elias & Co had been around for the Cavalry 1 and 2. Arrieta might have been a Cy Young Award winner for Baltimore. But it's not a fruitful exercise to go too far down that road.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

K/9 is up from 7.8 (2019) to 8.9 (2020). See if that continues. BB/9 down from 3.5 to 2.8. Appears they are almost tit for tat turning walks into strikeouts.

Needs to happen for a longer period of time before I become a believer.  But we're a quarter of the way through this "season" so far.  If we were a quarter of the way through a standard 162 game season, I think people would be excited.  So, I get it.

I don't think we're giving up as many homers, either, but I am too lazy to check.  

So less walks, more strikeouts, less homers, better defense = improvement.  If they can keep it up, then I'll be a believer.  Maybe these guys ARE getting better.  I'm not saying they're 1985 Dwight Gooden, but they're better than what they were.