O's need to go 12-9 to avoid a sell off.

wildcard

1 minute ago, O-The-Memories said:

His performance in Aberdeen was decent, but he showed no power. I think people would be lying if they said they were happy with his limited time in the minors. 

I think we didn't see near enough to make an informed opinion.  It would have been nice if he raked tho.

11 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

Rutschman is a huge concern for me. You can't sell low on him, but there has to be real concern with his lack of performance. 

Huh? Are you basing this off his minor league numbers last year after coming off mono? Give me a whole minor league season where he doesn't hit and I'll worry. I don't think he was ever 100% last year.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think we didn't see near enough to make an informed opinion.  It would have been nice if he raked tho.

That's valid, I know that he was recovering from illness too. I guess I'm just jaded with failed prospects. 

Also, I really don't want to trade guys like Means. I have been less than happy with some of the returns we've gotten from trades in the last few years. 

Right now I'm just happy that we are exceeding expectations. 

23 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think Means has a chance to be here when we turn it around. Under control for 4 years beyond this. 

Would have to be a major, major haul. 

I think this is just one these types of stories to create a conversation.  

Definitely. I also think that it is very likely you can get more for Means at next year's trade deadline than you could get for him now if the velocity bump is real. Too much uncertainty with Means to actually get a haul large enough to make it worth trading him.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Huh? Are you basing this off his minor league numbers last year after coming off mono? Give me a whole minor league season where he doesn't hit and I'll worry. I don't think he was ever 100% last year.

He also had to deal with playing at three levels last year.  Learning new towns, coaches and teammates.  Not an environment to help someone excel.

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The one issue I have with this is that he performed better early on vs later.  In other words, you would have expected him to struggle early and get better as the season went on if mono was such an issue.

Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt based off what the scouting community feels about him but I certainly don’t think anyone believes he performed to the level you would have expected him to.

36 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

Rutschman is a huge concern for me. You can't sell low on him, but there has to be real concern with his lack of performance. 

Grayson and DL Hall have had a real lack of production this year too. Also what's up with Kjerstad not having any AB's this year? Should we be worried? Wait, don't answer that. 

34 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

Maybe, but we would be selling really low based on his current ERA. His peripherals look great though. His injuries might scare teams off too. I wouldn't expect a top 5 prospect from a farm system, and if we aren't getting that I'd sooner keep him. He is the closest thing to a potential ace that that we have. 

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think his current ERA is going to be part of the discussion.

I'm not advocating they move him, just saying you could get a good prospect.

If another team is going to be turned off from Means based on a bad 2020 ERA that's driven by one poor inning, then we might actually be able to sucker them into trading for one of our JAGs

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The one issue I have with this is that he performed better early on vs later.  In other words, you would have expected him to struggle early and get better as the season went on if mono was such an issue.

Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt based off what the scouting community feels about him but I certainly don’t think anyone believes he performed to the level you would have expected him to.

He got hot in Aberdeen and then got moved to Delmarva  where he got 46 PAs. Would I have liked to have seen him hit a little better against that competition, sure, but he also was at the end of a long season that started for him in January/February. 

Like I said, I'll worry about Rutschman if I see him struggling over a full minor league season. He's got all the skill set to be an impct player at the major league level. 46 PAs in Delmarva is not going to have me concerned.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not necessarily. He could just have easily been worn down by the end of the year given the rigors of a full college season, multiple levels of the minors, the award circuit, media associated with being 1-1 (and the travel), etc. Or numbers are random flukish chance in SSS.