O's need to go 12-9 to avoid a sell off.

wildcard

The trade deadline is August 31st.   The O's have 21 games in 21 days through the rest  of August.   Elias is still looking to the future.    There is a real possibility that core players get traded this month.     The only way to avoid that is to show  Elias that this current team can play .570 baseball .   .500  baseball will not do it even if would win a playoff spot IMO.   .570 baseball is 92 wins in a normal season.   

Cobb - Salary and age

Milone and LeBlanc - FA after the season

Givens - Salary and age

Armstrong and Wojo - Age,  no options, Arbitration eligible

Are the most likely to go if anyone offers something that Elias wants for the future.

The team is proving that its not as far away from contention as previously thought so I don't see many of the other players being made available unless some team overpays big time.

This is all JMO.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The trade deadline is August 31st.   The O's have 21 games in 21 days through the rest  of August.   Elias is still looking to the future.    There is a real possibility that core players get traded this month.     The only way to avoid that is to show  Elias that this current team can play .570 baseball .   .500  baseball will not do it even if would win a playoff spot IMO.   .570 baseball is 92 wins in a normal season.   

Cobb - Salary and age

Milone and LeBlanc - FA after the season

Givens - Salary and age

Armstrong and Wojo - Age,  no options, Arbitration eligible

Are the most likely to go if anyone offers something that Elias wants for the future.

The team is proving that its not as far away from contention as previously thought so I don't see many of the other players being made available unless some team overpays big time.

This is all JMO.

hahaha, I just asked basically the same question over in the other thread.  How many of the guys unlike Cobb or Givens or the others you mention, get traded will be telling, I think.  If nothing happens other than Cobb and Givens, we'll have to wait and see whether your contention that this is real is really real.  TBD... Right? ;)

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't think there will be much of a selloff, because frankly there's not much to sell.

We're in a nice spot to be in as fans.  Elias surely isn't going to trade any of our decent prospects for a middling veteran, but we also don't need to worry about a selloff because our players have very little value.  We can just watch the team of castoffs and misfits that we have and root for them to succeed.  

Pitching is in demand at the deadline.   Probably  even more this season because more teams will be in contention for playoff spots.    Elias is not going to be asking for major league players in return.  He is going to be asking for prospects that fit his evaluation criteria.   Players like Bradish who seem like nothing special to most but who Elias added to the 60 man roster because he sees something in him.

I think Elias has shown in the last year that he believes in his evaluation criteria even when it go against what the rest of the league thinks.  He proves that in the draft and in the Bundy trade IMO.  And he is proving every day how he can take players that other teams quit on and make them successful.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't think there will be much of a selloff, because frankly there's not much to sell.

We're in a nice spot to be in as fans.  Elias surely isn't going to trade any of our decent prospects for a middling veteran, but we also don't need to worry about a selloff because our players have very little value.  We can just watch the team of castoffs and misfits that we have and root for them to succeed.  

Agreed.  No real value to sell, we wouldn't get much of anything back.  

In an article a few days ago in The Athletic, Jim Bowden suggests that the Braves and Yankees should target John Means if they are looking to upgrade their pitching.

I also like the idea of the Braves pursuing two left-handed pitchers who are presently not available in John Means of the Baltimore Orioles and Marco Gonzales of the Seattle Mariners. Both the Orioles and Mariners have no desire to trade their best starting pitcher, but both are rebuilding and quantity is probably better than just quality as they try and improve their major-league team for the long-term future. A strong prospect package would have to be considered by both organizations based on where they are right now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, O-The-Memories said:

There's not a single player on the roster that will garner a good prospect. We are overachieving by a ton right now, and it's been a good ride. However, other than some minor trades I wouldn't expect much. 

With his newfound velocity I think Means would.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

In an article a few days ago in The Athletic, Jim Bowden suggests that the Braves and Yankees should target John Means if they are looking to upgrade their pitching.

I think Means has a chance to be here when we turn it around. Under control for 4 years beyond this. 

Would have to be a major, major haul. 

I think this is just one these types of stories to create a conversation.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

With his newfound velocity I think Means would.

Maybe, but we would be selling really low based on his current ERA. His peripherals look great though. His injuries might scare teams off too. I wouldn't expect a top 5 prospect from a farm system, and if we aren't getting that I'd sooner keep him. He is the closest thing to a potential ace that that we have. 

4 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

Maybe, but we would be selling really low based on his current ERA. His peripherals look great though. His injuries might scare teams off too. I wouldn't expect a top 5 prospect from a farm system, and if we aren't getting that I'd sooner keep him. He is the closest thing to a potential ace that that we have. 

I don't think his current ERA is going to be part of the discussion.

I'm not advocating they move him, just saying you could get a good prospect.

• Upvote 1