O's need to go 12-9 to avoid a sell off.

wildcard

34 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Tonight's game ........tonight's game would have been the quintessential example of that scenario coming to fruition.

Could you imagine if the Orioles are 11-9 after 20 games, and then they had a game play out PRECISELY like tonight's game did ??? Elias would have been continually picking the telephone up and hanging back up again every few minutes over the final 4 innings of the game.

o

Quoting Homer:”It’s funny because it’s true.”

12 hours ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I'm of the opinion that Elias will be listening closely to offers for anyone on the roster regardless of what our record is in this truncated season. I don't think having a fluke of a winning record changes his mindset on roster management this year one bit.

OTOH, I think the offers for someone like Cobb will simply be too low.  The playoffs will be too much of a crapshoot for teams with 8 teams instead of 3 + WC.   I would be tempted to say it would take something like a team willing to eat part of Davis' contract for any signficant roster to moves to be made.

it would suck if the O's are playing well, even maybe fighting for a playoff spot, then Elias pulls up the rug. 

41 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

OTOH, I think the offers for someone like Cobb will simply be too low.  The playoffs will be too much of a crapshoot for teams with 8 teams instead of 3 + WC.   I would be tempted to say it would take something like a team willing to eat part of Davis' contract for any signficant roster to moves to be made.

it would suck if the O's are playing well, even maybe fighting for a playoff spot, then Elias pulls up the rug. 

I think teams are going to be really reluctant to take on money just because of the uncertainty of the world right now. There's a totally possible chance the stadiums are empty or at a reduced capacity next year too.

• Upvote 1

Cobb in his postgame interview was solid and doesn't want to be traded. When told Palmer thinks he could be dealt if he continues to pitch well he had a change of facial expression like he was upset. He thinks their team is real and are in every game and likes it here.  The perfect answer after giving the team  basically nothing so far on his big contract. If he keeps going around 6 innings and giving up 3 runs or less he will be in demand and will be dealt. We have too many young pitchers ready to move up and they will  move his salary the first chance they get to a money team like the Dodgers, Angels or even the Red Sox. 

21 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't think there will be much of a selloff, because frankly there's not much to sell.

We're in a nice spot to be in as fans.  Elias surely isn't going to trade any of our decent prospects for a middling veteran, but we also don't need to worry about a selloff because our players have very little value.  We can just watch the team of castoffs and misfits that we have and root for them to succeed.  

I think we have a starter or two that will be attractive. The question is whether they will net enough to move them. I also think they will have relief pitchers that are attractive as well. If the Phillies are hanging around they will be buying bullpen help. Their pen has a 10 ERA. 

Also there are guys that could be attractive like Alberto. Why would anyone not want his bat in their lineup? 

@wildcard has the passion this year....I don’t think Elias should/will be fooled about this season and where the team really is. We need the high draft picks to continue to move the process in the right direction.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I think we have a starter or two that will be attractive. The question is whether they will net enough to move them. I also think they will have relief pitchers that are attractive as well. If the Phillies are hanging around they will be buying bullpen help. Their pen has a 10 ERA. 

Also there are guys that could be attractive like Alberto. Why would anyone not want his bat in their lineup? 

@wildcard has the passion this year....I don’t think Elias should/will be fooled about this season and where the team really is. We need the high draft picks to continue to move the process in the right direction.

If the season ended today Elias would be pick 18th in the draft.   The O's may need high draft picks but the team may have improved enough to be middle of the pack.   Elias may have to find other ways to improve the club than counting on high draft picks.  

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

If the season ended today Elias would be pick 18th in the draft.   The O's may need high draft picks but the team may have improved enough to be middle of the pack.   Elias may have to find other ways to improve the club than counting on high draft picks.  

No, that's not it.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Yes but an abbreviated SSS puts them mid pack. But in a longer season and asset sell off they come back to reality.

• 2 weeks later...

The premise of the OP is a bit moot by now, but Elias explained his thinking about the trade deadline tonight:

“Despite the fact that our club is playing well and has a good record and is in the mix, we’re still listening on players that are on our major league roster if it makes sense for our future and for next year and the broader picture. But we’re not extra motivated to do anything, and we’re listening to baseball trades as they come along.

“We’re not going to just sell just to sell and get more prospects. But we’re not going to hold onto every single person on the team just because we’re close to a .500 club right now. We’re going to look at everything on a case-by-case basis. I still maintain from a strategic standpoint, from where we started from, with this being a 100-loss team now two years in a row and starting from that point and the total lack of international pipeline that everyone else has, we’ve got some catching up to do on a pipeline front, filling in the farm system. We’ve made a lot of progress, but we’re still keeping a broad eye on that.

“I think we’re going to continue to battle every night, but we’re going to be thinking about more than this season when we go into the trade deadline.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/08/more-on-smiths-designation-and-the-approaching-trade-deadline.html

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The premise of the OP is a bit moot by now, but Elias explained his thinking about the trade deadline tonight:

“Despite the fact that our club is playing well and has a good record and is in the mix, we’re still listening on players that are on our major league roster if it makes sense for our future and for next year and the broader picture. But we’re not extra motivated to do anything, and we’re listening to baseball trades as they come along.

“We’re not going to just sell just to sell and get more prospects. But we’re not going to hold onto every single person on the team just because we’re close to a .500 club right now. We’re going to look at everything on a case-by-case basis. I still maintain from a strategic standpoint, from where we started from, with this being a 100-loss team now two years in a row and starting from that point and the total lack of international pipeline that everyone else has, we’ve got some catching up to do on a pipeline front, filling in the farm system. We’ve made a lot of progress, but we’re still keeping a broad eye on that.

“I think we’re going to continue to battle every night, but we’re going to be thinking about more than this season when we go into the trade deadline.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/08/more-on-smiths-designation-and-the-approaching-trade-deadline.html

Givens likely gone.   If they get a good offer for Cobb they will trade him.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think that's what most people would expect.  We have some attractive players and if they bring the return ME and his staff thinks helps in the long run, the deal gets done.  From the beginning, the two players at the top of that list seem obvious in Cobb and Givens... but it will be interesting to see about some others.  Still, it could be a slow trade season overall with the lack of real auditioning that a shortened season dictates.

26 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Weren't really on track for the 12-9 are we?

No, the O's have gone 6-7 since I posted that.   They would have to go 6-2 to get to 12-9.   That seems extremely unlikely.   Elias has already made his decision to be a seller at the deadline.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

No, the O's have gone 6-7 since I posted that.   They would have to go 6-2 to get to 12-9.   That seems extremely unlikely.   Elias has already made his decision to be a seller at the deadline.

It sounds to me like his decision has always been the same. A little difference in W/L's didn't really sway the opinion of the guy paid to run the team. I'm not a big fan of Elias but at least he's come in and been consistent on what he's doing, how he's going to do it, and communicating it along the way.

• Upvote 2