2020 Athletics vs. 1981 Athletics

OFFNY

o

(AUGUST 12th)

Although they are 12-6 overall, the Athletics lost the first 2 games of this series against the Angels ........ one of which they blew a 9-4 lead in.

Subsequently, they are trying to salvage the series finale this afternoon in southern California.

OAKLAND A THLETICS  

Marcus Semien - SS

Ramon Laureano - CF

Matthew Olson - 1B

Matt Chapman - 3B

Mark Canha - DH

Robbie Grossman - LF

Stephen Piscotty - RF

Anthony Allen "A.A." Kemp - 2B

Sean Murphy - C 

Christopher M. Bassitt - RHP )) (1-0, 1.08 ERA) ) *

* )) Leads the American League in Home Runs Ceded  Per 9 Innings (0.000)

CALIFORNIA ANGELS

David Fletcher - SS

Thomas La Stella - 2B

Michael Trout - CF

Anthony Rendon - 3B

大谷 翔平 - DH

Jose Alberto Pujols Alcantara -1B

Jason Castro - C

Jordan Adell - RF

Brian Goodwin- LF

Griffin Alexander Canning - RHP )) (0-2, 3.14 ERA)

https://www.mlb.com/starting-lineups

o

o

(AUGUST 16th)

The 1981 Athletics got off to a 20-3 start in what wound up being a strike-shortened season.

After finishing that season with the best record in the American League at 64-45, they won the division title by sweeping the defending American League champion Kansas City Royals 3 games to 0 in the ALDS.

In the ALCS, Billy Martin and company bowed to his former team in the ALCS in their bid to claim their first American League Pennant since 1974.

This 2020 Athletics team that just annihilated the San Francisco Giants in a 3-game sweep now has the best record in the Major Leagues, at 16-6 ........ the super-fast start, coupled with the shortened season, has me being reminded of that 1981 team. If these hard-charging Athletics make the post-season, it will be interesting to see if they can go at least one step further than did those 1981 Athletics did, and represent the American League in the World Series for the first time since 1990.

5 Aces The Amazing A's | Sports magazine covers, Sports ...

o

• 1 month later...

o

(OCTOBER 1st)

For the Athletics, this was their first  winner-take-all playoff win since 1973, when they defeated the New York Mets in Game 7 of that season's World Series.

Previous to this afternoon, the Athletics had lost 9 CONSECUTIVE winner-take-all-playoff games.

For the White Sox, this was the first winner-take-all post-season game in the history of their franchise ........ whose inaugural season was 1901 !!! ) O.o

Oakland Athletics - Sports Ecyclopedia lllllllllllllllll Chicago White Sox Pictures (1901-Present) | Chicago white sox, White sock,  American baseball league

o

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Naw, Houston got caught.

Ok... BOSTON and Houston took it a step too far.

But as been mentioned.... some team Philadelphia? did it in like the '20's. Some electrode running up the 3B Coach's leg...

Still TOO far. ESPECIALLY in this electronical age.