Deadline 2020 Rumors and News Orioles related

Roll Tide

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I know better ...But I'm just curious why a guy in a break out year, under control until 2025, cheap, and has good metrics defensively would not be worth much????

Because I don’t think the sample size is large enough yet.  Calling this a breakout year is a stretch considering how few at bats he has.  Last year, he had a sub 300 OBP and ended the year poorly.

He may be taking a leap but I don’t think anyone pays a big price assuming that’s the case for him right now.  It just doesn’t make sense to do so.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Again, I never said Elias would deal Santander if the return wasn’t good.  I just said I doubt Santander is worth much in the open market.

@Sports Guy” I doubt we get much back for Santander.”

that is exactly what you said. Your comment means, “if we trade him we won’t get much back.” And I disagree. I think if we trade him we will get a lot back, and I do think he has considerable value. Whether it is enough to make Mike make the trade is another question.

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because I don’t think the sample size is large enough yet.  Calling this a breakout year is a stretch considering how few at bats he has.  Last year, he had a sub 300 OBP and ended the year poorly.

He may be taking a leap but I don’t think anyone pays a big price assuming that’s the case for him right now.  It just doesn’t make sense to do so.

You might be right ...it will depend what else is available, desperation, teams budget constraints etc .... Saying Milwaukee wanted to add an outfielder. They have the option of a pending free agent and a guy like Santander. If they are trying to plug the hole once rather than a guy now and another guy in the offseason. I think we have a pretty good shot at good value if the right small market team needs a guy.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You might be right ...it will depend what else is available, desperation, teams budget constraints etc .... Saying Milwaukee wanted to add an outfielder. They have the option of a pending free agent and a guy like Santander. If they are trying to plug the hole once rather than a guy now and another guy in the offseason. I think we have a pretty good shot at good value if the right small market team needs a guy.

I think a lot of teams are willing to pay for the lightning in the bottle. If Santandar did tire last season, that doesn’t have anything to do with this season,  which is a third the length. And the team that gets him can just trade him again in the off-season if his value increases, and even if it does not, he would still be a clear upgrade over the man he would be replacing. And that’s true on several teams.
My feeling is that I trust in Mike for the long term, even if he does things that I don’t like in the short term.

36 minutes ago, Philip said:

@Sports Guy” I doubt we get much back for Santander.”

that is exactly what you said. Your comment means, “if we trade him we won’t get much back.” And I disagree. I think if we trade him we will get a lot back, and I do think he has considerable value. Whether it is enough to make Mike make the trade is another question.

You keep moving the goal posts in your argument.

I don’t even know what you are arguing.  First it was, Elias won’t deal him.(which I never insinuated otherwise)  now it’s he’s worth a lot.

Im not really sure why you keep going back to this and misrepresenting my point.

However, to go with just the point about his value.  I disagree.  I don’t see it.  He wasn’t that great last year and despite a very good start this year, it’s still a SSS for any team to give up considerable value..unless your definition of considerable value is far less than what I’m thinking you mean.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You keep moving the goal posts in your argument.

I don’t even know what you are arguing.  First it was, Elias won’t deal him.(which I never insinuated otherwise)  now it’s he’s worth a lot.

Im not really sure why you keep going back to this and misrepresenting my point.

However, to go with just the point about his value.  I disagree.  I don’t see it.  He wasn’t that great last year and despite a very good start this year, it’s still a SSS for any team to give up considerable value..unless your definition of considerable value is far less than what I’m thinking you mean.

You are mistaken. I never said Mike won’t trade Santander I actually think Mike will, but he won’t unless the return is to his liking. I’m not misrepresenting your point, I quoted you Word for Word. But we can leave it there, I actually think we agree, because we both think he won’t be traded unless the return is acceptable.

Where we disagree is that you think his value is not high and I think it is.

Just now, Philip said:

You are mistaken. I never said Mike won’t trade Santander I actually think Mike will, but he won’t unless the return is to his liking. I’m not misrepresenting your point, I quoted you Word for Word. But we can leave it there, I actually think we agree, because we both think he won’t be traded unless the return is acceptable.

What would a return on Santander look like?

Just now, Philip said:

Yes, you quoted me word for word and none of those words said that Elias would trade him even if he wasn’t getting much.

I never said that but you insinuated that I did.  

As for what you did quote..yes, I don’t think he has much value.  I think he has more value to the team than what any team would trade for him.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

But you think he has high value.  So what's high value?

That is a good question, and I can’t give you an immediate answer. I can only give you a general answer and that would be projecting his success over the next three years, and getting a return that is projected for a greater success?
I’ve made it clear throughout the entire discussion that I trust Mike however, so I will happily defer to him and his judgment

12 minutes ago, Philip said:

I have absolutely no idea. Mike does, though. And he won’t make a trade unless he gets what he wants

Of course he won't make a trade unless he gets what he wants.  You've said that a few times - as if it's something people don't already know.  

• Upvote 1