Deadline 2020 Rumors and News Orioles related

Roll Tide

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The money means nothing.  It’s not stopping the team from doing anything.

I also doubt we can save 10 million of his contract in a trade.

I think the money means something to ownership.

I just tossed 10M out for this year and next year, the actual number could easily be different.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the money means something to ownership.

I just tossed 10M out for this year and next year, the actual number could easily be different.

Oh..well if you are talking in terms of what ownership could be thinking, I agree with you.

They aren’t good owners, so I always side on them being wrong and unreasonable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If hes a 3.74 starter at the deadline with a 4.86 FIP we will have to pay half of his 2021 to get a 17 year old Dominican.

And people will complain that Elias doesn't know how to trade. He's a 0.3-0.5 WAR guy in like 1/6-1/5 of a season and this is probably his peak. He has no excess value, so I don't see why you'd get more than you got for Cashner.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

For Santander 1 and 2 other guys

I think that's probably overestimating the value any of today's GMs would assign him right now. He's had a hot month.

Would you advocate the Orioles giving up a similar package for Teoscar Hernandez? They are pretty similar in trade value in my eyes.

• Upvote 1

MLB.com posted their predictions for all 30 teams at the deadline, and they do have a few interesting ideas. One is that the Twins – who at 20-10 are leading the AL Central and tied with the A’s atop the AL overall – will make a deal for Givens. They’ve got a few prospects in their system with right-handed pitcher Jhoan Duranready to go in 2021. If the Twins seriously want Givens, they will have for fork over a load of talent.

https://birdswatcher.com/2020/08/25/baltimore-orioles-2020-august-trade-deadline-predictions/

3 hours ago, Philip said:

You are mistaken. I never said Mike won’t trade Santander I actually think Mike will, but he won’t unless the return is to his liking.   I’m not misrepresenting your point, I quoted you Word for Word. But we can leave it there, I actually think we agree, because we both think he won’t be traded unless the return is acceptable.

Aren’t the bolded parts literally true of every trade, unless the owner is forcing the GM to do something he doesn’t want to do?   Nobody trades any player unless the return is acceptable to them.   

I tend to agree with Sports Guy that one good month isn’t enough to blow Santander’s trade value sky high.    I’m sure his stock is up, but I doubt anyone is ready to conclude that he’s as good a hitter as, say, Trey Mancini.   He may eventually prove to be (and he’s certainly the better defensive outfielder), but he needs to do it longer to convince people he’s not just a guy on a hot streak.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I think there's a case to trade Alberto, a free agent in 2023. I love the guy, but I wonder if his value is at its peak right now. Will he be a factor on the next good O's team? Maybe! But it's close, and it might take all of his arbitration years to find out. 

If he’s a perennial-300 hitter I’d be inclined to extend him early unless you can really sell high

2 hours ago, makoman said:

And people will complain that Elias doesn't know how to trade. He's a 0.3-0.5 WAR guy in like 1/6-1/5 of a season and this is probably his peak. He has no excess value, so I don't see why you'd get more than you got for Cashner.

So he’s had 4 seasons of over your figure 1.2, 2.3, 3.8, and 4.0. So your statement is ridiculous. He’s only had 2 negative WAR seasons due to injury. As bad as 2018 was he was still worth 1.2. The other two .6 & .8 were his rookie and second season. 

2 hours ago, Babypowder said:

I think that's probably overestimating the value any of today's GMs would assign him right now. He's had a hot month.

Would you advocate the Orioles giving up a similar package for Teoscar Hernandez? They are pretty similar in trade value in my eyes.

They are close...but the Orioles are selling and I don’t suggest that they buy anything that costs prospects 

• Upvote 1