ESPN's midseason All-Stars

Moose Milligan

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

When the O's picked up Smith his career AAA OPS in 800 PAs was about .750.  At the same time Yaz' was just about the same, and he was two years older.

I get that, but even if Yaz was two years older, it doesn't make sense if you're looking for a 4th outfielder type.  It's not like Yaz was 38 or something, he was too old to be a prospect but still young enough to maybe have some upside.  

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I get that, but even if Yaz was two years older, it doesn't make sense if you're looking for a 4th outfielder type.  It's not like Yaz was 38 or something, he was too old to be a prospect but still young enough to maybe have some upside.  

I think the bigger question is why the O's couldn't uncover his talent even though he was in the system until he was 28.  There seems to be too many instances of prospects who were in the O's system for years and never really improved much.  These same players are then traded or DFA'ed and become major league players in short order.  It's too soon to judge Elias on these type of players, but hopefully in the future the O's will be fixing these types of players instead of giving them up and seeing them flourish elsewhere. 

7 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

I remember Yaz being described as basically Dwight Smith Jr but a couple years older. Except he actually plays solid defense and can play CF? He made it to the big leagues late May last year... did he actually dramatically improve in those two months or was he just extremely misevaluated?

By every team for years?

I guess.  But everyone missed on him and I'd include the Giants.

• Upvote 2