The deadline is looming...Is Elias done?

Roll Tide

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Our system is likely a little underrated too because Elias has targeted a lot of NCAA SP with the hopes that our analytic dept can make them more than what they are currently viewed as. Last years draft. The Villar and Bundy trades. Who knows what the PTBNL will turn out to be. They could be cash, or they could be more of these NCAA SP types that he likes that weren’t eligible to be traded.  

How often is the ptbnl cash?

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was hoping you'd reference this kid, whose brother plays and might be someone.

BvHrnJUCEAAaeJt.jpg

Came across this on reddit while researching this child (wasting my precious final hours in this animal...):

Chicago White Sox
3 points·1 year ago
That’s not updated there’s no way blaze jordan isn’t a top 10 pick next year

lqtm

5 hours ago, LTO's said:

How can you compare this season to the season prior? It's a totally different market. Also, I don't think Conine is nearly as good of a prospect as you are describing. He didn't even make Keith Law's top 20 and he's pretty firmly a 40FV guy. I'm sure Elias got rid of Villar knowing he was going to go after Iglesias and it seems like he could not have been more right about how they would play this year. We can see what they are eventually able to get for Iglesias and then revisit this.

^This^
I sold a house this year for 5x the purchase price in worse condition then when it was purchased. 
I sell houses for 20% more than what they would have sold for last year. 
Different market. Villar is more valuable this year than last even as the same player. 
The Angels over paid for Trout because Babe Ruth cost the same per year as Trout cost per minute of being on the field playing or not. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

I acknowledge I was using hyperbole when I wrote that Easton is rated the Orioles' #174 prospect.

Actually, Easton is ranked #117 in the organization. Whoopsie!

Where?

The guy has never thrown a pitch for us, so I’ll reserve judgment as to whether he has any potential, but I’m plenty skeptical that he does.   

What is the reference to 5 vs. 12?    Does that tie to something?

• I don't think anyone will ever know why Elias  embarrassed us with his Villar trade. It was embarrassing to the team to make such a ridiculous trade. Was he falling asleep late at night when he did it? Had he just had an argument with one of the sons about paying him and gave him away to save money and be a jerk? Did we ever hear Elias's explanation about why he made this deal.? Any of us on here could have made a better deal than this one that may rank as one of the worst ever made.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Not really different at all: it's the exact same player: VILLAR. It couldn't be any more perfect a comparison.

btw: both Elias then and Hill today are in the exact same situation: rebuilding and dumping Villar's salary. 

The only difference is that Hill got a quality prospect while Elias got nothing but salary relief.

If you ignore the 8 to 10m dollars Villar was going to get a year ago, which is what you are doing.

9 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

If Conine is as good as you say the Jays got fleeced. I would rather get fleeced on Villar than to lose a bona fide prospect.

I didn’t grade Conine so I’m not sure why you’d insinuate the I did. 

Elias has a player that had a near .800 OPS that swiped 40 bags last year at the deadline. He should’ve been able to move him for something more than a throw in type pitcher.

I could care less what the Blue Jays gave up to get him....Only what the Marlins got compared to the Orioles for the same player.

BTW, Go back and look at Villar’s start this season .... And then calculate his average over the last 10-15 games. My point here is that he got off to a really rough start like many other named players around the league.

8 hours ago, jerios55 said:

Givens was the most valuable piece so that makes sense.

Velasquez was gone so fast I barely know if I can argue either way.

Bleier and Castro were useful, but one was old and the other didn't have a history of success like Givens.  Milone did well, but doesn't seem like a long term piece.

It's hard to truly gauge with 6 players to be named, but I don't there will be any earth scattering players. 

Castro likely had one more year at best here.  IDK what Smith will be but he is intriguing at the very least.  Either way, I'll be curious who these 6 PTBNL are.

For the most part I agree ...My only point is we need to see what we get out of those 6 players before we gauge those trades.

Also you mention Bleier as being old and I think you are making more out of his age than GMs do. The Marlins got a number of years of control and other than the injury he was extremely productive. Relief pitchers are able to pitch to older ages so there was no reason to think he wouldn’t be able to pitch Through his controlled period which is what you are buying.

Id like to get something for Velazquez but don’t really expect much and hope we got 1 decent prospect for Milone considering Atlanta’s farm is so deep.

As far as expectations.... You can expect more than in past years because of the inability to trade guys who didn’t make the active player pool.

I believe Elias hinted that they got a player they really liked for Bleier. I’d expect the player that we got for Given and Castro to be quality. 

We will see

1 hour ago, section18 said:
  • I don't think anyone will ever know why Elias  embarrassed us with his Villar trade. It was embarrassing to the team to make such a ridiculous trade. Was he falling asleep late at night when he did it? Had he just had an argument with one of the sons about paying him and gave him away to save money and be a jerk? Did we ever hear Elias's explanation about why he made this deal.? Any of us on here could have made a better deal than this one that may rank as one of the worst ever made.

I agree with this 100%

My biggest complaint with a certain group of posters is their automatic defensive mechanism for Elias. 

They claim Villar is worth little and say well that is all we could get. 

Then after a slow start and recent hot streak he’s dealt for a much better prospect there is no criticism. We immediately switch to blaming the acquiring GM. 

I thought we could’ve resign Villar for a reasonable 2-3 year deal and the team would’ve been better IMO than hanging on to Ruiz who is not a major league hitter. I get we are rebuilding and that is principally why he was moved. 

But, I think it was inexcusable to give him away for Eason and that is beyond question. If the Orioles gave the impression that they were afraid of arb numbers, wanted to dump his salary, etc .....That was a mistake on Elias.

2 hours ago, section18 said:

Nice hot take.  I won't waste my time finding worse trades, but a trade of an awful fielding, average hitting, journeyman utility infielder is probably not very high on the list of WORST TRADES EVER.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, section18 said:

What?  Elias traded a random player making about $10M for a minor leaguer who essentially plays for free.  They saved $10M and they didn't impact the future competitiveness of the Baltimore Orioles at all, unless you really wanted that 22nd win this year.  And even that's arguable in hindsight since he's been playing terribly in Miami.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

Nice hot take.  I won't waste my time finding worse trades, but a trade of an awful fielding, average hitting, journeyman utility infielder is probably not very high on the list of WORST TRADES EVER.

Internet hyperbole at its best.  The Villar deal was a fairly inconsequential salary dump, but section18 is calling it one of the worst trades ever.  There were probably 12 worse trades yesterday.

In other news, the fender bender I saw in the Wal Mart parking lot is one of the worst stories of human tragedy in all of recorded history.

• Upvote 1