Free Agent Shortstops

YardBirds13

OK, I'm sure everyone has read bigbird's post, and it looks like perhaps we will be going after a FA shortstop. I've stated that I think this is a bad idea, unless we can get Rafael Furcal, without giving up a draft pick, and for 3 years or less.

Here are the options:

Orlando Cabrera

He will be 34 next season. His last 3 years his OPS is .739, .742, and a whopping .706 this season. Not to mention the fact that he has been rumored to be a bad guy in the clubhouse. (I don't really care, but I figure the people who claim "Every team he goes to wins!" might.) His defense is on the decline, and while still probably above average, is sure to continue as he ages. He made 9M this season, so I would assume he expects a raise, even though he had a prett bad offensive year. Anyone who wants him for 7-10M dollars for his age 34, 35, and 36 seasons is crazy, in my opinion.

Edgar Renteria

Renteria will turn 33 in May, and had an absolutely atrocious year in Detroit. He had a couple good seasons in Atlanta, but the wheels fell off this year. His defense is below average at this point, and he made 9M last year. The Tigers declined an option for 10M, so I'd guess Renteria will get somewhere around 6-7M per year. That is way too much for a guy who isn't even a good shortstop anymore.

Rafael Furcal

This is the one guy we should consider, especially if he doesn't cost us a pick. He was great this year in limited time, and while last year wasn't good, he was very good in 2006. Also, he'll turn 31 in the end of April, so you'd be getting him for his age 31, 32, and maybe 33 year old seasons, a much more likely bet to be productive than Cabrera or Renteria. Plus, Furcal is still regarded as a pretty good defensive shorstop. Furcal will probably be more expensive than the other two as well. He made 13M this past season, but I'd expect him to come a bit cheaper than that, probably around 10 or 11 M per.

Now, in a perfect world, I'd rather get a young guy with some potential who is cheap in a trade than sign anyone. However, if the FO is intent on signing a FA SS, I really hope its Furcal and not Cabrera or Renteria.

And if you are wondering who the other options are, let's just say they aren't too pretty:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/2009-mlb-free-a.html

Thoughts?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see them going for a guy like Izturis, if he ends up available.

While Izturis will only be 29 next season, he would be a horrible option. I understand he is still pretty slick with the glove, but there is no way he'd be worth picking up.

He made almost 3M this season, and he is about as bad as our current options offensively. His OBP the last 3 seasons: .295, .302, .319.

I'd rather pocket the 2 or 3 million it would take to get him and put it somewhere else.

If the O's can get Rafael Furcal @ 4yr/48m (4th year optional), they should do it. The big question is will they draft a SS in the 2009 MLB Draft. Ryan Jackson, Mychal Givens, & Grant Green are probably the top SS to go in next year's draft, and one of them could be the Oriole's Derek Jeter of the future...Go O's!!!

They're all terrible options.

Let's find a real long-term solution and not waste a dollar on any of these guys.

If Furcal isn't a type A and we can get him to a 2, maybe 3 year deal, I don't think he would be terrible.

However, I agree with your point that we need to get a long-term solution, and that would be my first choice this off-season.

If the O's can get Rafael Furcal @ 4yr/48m (4th year optional)' date=' they should do it. The big question is will they draft a SS in the 2009 MLB Draft. Ryan Jackson, Mychal Givens, & Grant Green are probably the top SS to go in next year's draft, and one of them could be the Oriole's Derek Jeter of the future...Go O's!!![/quote']

Yeah, no chance I give Furcal 4 guaranteed years. I don't think I'd even want to go 3 years plus an option for a 4th.

2 plus an option for a third would be ideal.

Furcal minus the health questions, which are serious and the Draft pick questions, and the money questions would be by far the best al around FA SS option. OCab would give you a SS who is a better defender than Castro and as good if not better hitter than Cintron. If he is not a type A FA then he is probably the best stop gap FA SS solution. Too bad Cintron is such a bad glove. Otherwise he would be fine short term.

Furcal minus the health questions, which are serious and the Draft pick questions, and the money questions would be by far the best al around FA SS option. OCab would give you a SS who is a better defender than Castro and as good if not better hitter than Cintron. If he is not a type A FA then he is probably the best stop gap FA SS solution. Too bad Cintron is such a bad glove. Otherwise he would be fine short term.

Cintron is also a FA, by the way.

I don't know that Cabrera is a better defender than Castro at this point in his career. He isn't that guy who was brilliant in Montreal and Boston anymore.

His offense is also pretty bad and he'd get 10M or so over 3 or 4 years, and he is supposedly not great in the clubhouse.

I'll pass on him, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he will be our OD shortstop.

Cintron is also a FA, by the way.

I don't know that Cabrera is a better defender than Castro at this point in his career. He isn't that guy who was brilliant in Montreal and Boston anymore.

His offense is also pretty bad and he'd get 10M or so over 3 or 4 years, and he is supposedly not great in the clubhouse.

I'll pass on him, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he will be our OD shortstop.

Castro was a -4 this season at SS, OCab +1, Cintron -12.

OCab:282 .335 .371 .706 in 657 AB; Cintron: .286 .321 .361 .682 in 133 AB

Castro was a -4 this season at SS, OCab +1, Cintron -12.

OCab:282 .335 .371 .706 in 657 AB; Cintron: .286 .321 .361 .682 in 133 AB

Perhaps Cabrera was a bit better defensively. Remember, our shortstops were abysmal last year.

That doesn't mean we should spend 10M per year on a guy who might not even put up a .700 OPS next season.

Perhaps Cabrera was a bit better defensively. Remember, our shortstops were abysmal last year.

That doesn't mean we should spend 10M per year on a guy who might not even put up a .700 OPS next season.

I wouldn't go any higher than 2/8 for O-Cab.

But that's only if we made an offer, I'd rather just not make an offer.

There are only a handful of SS who put up .750 OPS or better. A good fielding .700 OPS SS is not bad as a stop gap and $10mm is more than he'll cost IMO.

I wouldn't go any higher than 2/8 for O-Cab.

But that's only if we made an offer, I'd rather just not make an offer.

Yeah, I guess if he would sign that deal I'd take it.

No chance he only gets 2 years, and no chance he only gets 4M per.

I really think we will see Cabrera signed by the Orioles for like a 3 year, 27M deal.

Which will be awful.

Archived