Connelly: This time it really feels like the end for Chris Davis as an Oriole

SteveA

1 hour ago, jerios55 said:

Obviously, I can not confirm nor deny, but being players not on the 60 man that requirement should be unlikely.

Combined with how many 2018 - 2019 draft guys that seem to be Elias targets, I really would be surprised if any were. 

Now watch it be all 6 to spite me...but I just don't think it makes sense.

I agree, but it depends upon where those guys are in their development. I think Elias is smart enough that he would’ve avoided guys that would create such a problem, but when you’re dealing with deep farm systems, The other team might want to get rid of their own surplus, and Elias might’ve decided that it would be better to get an additional guy and just deal with the roster headache. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s certainly in the top 3 when it comes to baseball, and you could argue it’s the worst.    The other two are Pujols and Cabrera.    Both of those have a bigger gap between total payment and value of production, but at least those players have had positive value as players during their contracts, unlike Davis who has been sub-replacement.     

Pujols and Cabrera, at least you can watch those guys hobble their way into the record books.  Is there value there, aside from a WAR perspective?  I suppose it would depend on who's asking.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Pujols and Cabrera, at least you can watch those guys hobble their way into the record books.  Is there value there, aside from a WAR perspective.  I suppose it would depend on who's asking.  

Pretty sure if you gave Davis enough at bats he'd end up in the record books.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Pujols and Cabrera, at least you can watch those guys hobble their way into the record books.  Is there value there, aside from a WAR perspective.  I suppose it would depend on who's asking.  

Chris Davis did hobble into the record books, just for different reasons.

Hitless streaks, strikeouts looking, lowest Contact %, lowest WAR, etc. I'm sure some records were set.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s certainly in the top 3 when it comes to baseball, and you could argue it’s the worst.    The other two are Pujols and Cabrera.    Both of those have a bigger gap between total payment and value of production, but at least those players have had positive value as players during their contracts, unlike Davis who has been sub-replacement.     

You can also throw in Ryan Howard, whose best year in a $125M deal was 0.5 rWAR, with the other four years being below -1 wins.  At least Davis was worth three wins in year one.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gatoriole said:

Could the Orioles keep Davis until there is another labor agreement? If there is a strike after 2021, maybe they save some money. I know it's not what everyone wants to hear, but putting it out there.

Maybe they keep him and have him on the injured list most of next season?

I think it is entirely possible the owners refuse to allow Elias to cut him.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is entirely possible the owners refuse to allow Elias to cut him.

I'm giving a hypothetical explanation for the Orioles keeping Davis. I haven't seen an explanation on here for why we would keep him.

You don't have to agree with the rationale for keeping Davis. But if the Orioles keep him, I think there is a rationale.

17 minutes ago, Gatoriole said:

I'm giving a hypothetical explanation for the Orioles keeping Davis. I haven't seen an explanation on here for why we would keep him.

You don't have to agree with the rationale for keeping Davis. But if the Orioles keep him, I think there is a rationale.

I think the rationale is that the owner's aren't acting rationally.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

An option I haven't seen discussed is they could ask him to accept an outright assignment. He still gets his money and isn't taking up a roster spot. 

I think most assume that he would negotiate a buyout before doing something like that. He's already publicly contemplated retirement... I can't see him going through those motions. Plus, I think I would be even more pissed if he were stealing innings in Bowie and Norfolk. That would be beyond terrible at this stage of the rebuild.

37 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I think most assume that he would negotiate a buyout before doing something like that. He's already publicly contemplated retirement... I can't see him going through those motions. Plus, I think I would be even more pissed if he were stealing innings in Bowie and Norfolk. That would be beyond terrible at this stage of the rebuild.

I'd play at Norfolk instead of giving up milions of dollars. I'm not convinced he's a AAA-caliber hitter at this point, but he wouldn't have to feel the guilt of hurting the ML team on the field.

Plus, there's always a chance someone's finger slips and he accidentally gets claimed by another team. 

1 minute ago, luismatos4prez said:

I'd play at Norfolk instead of giving up milions of dollars. I'm not convinced he's a AAA-caliber hitter at this point, but he wouldn't have to feel the guilt of hurting the ML team on the field.

Plus, there's always a chance someone's finger slips and he accidentally gets claimed by another team. 

I don't see what is in it for him to go to the minors.  It's a lose lose situation for him and he can just refuse to go.