Last Six Games, What Do You Want To See?

Bahama O's Fan

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess finishing ahead of the Nats would be kind of fun.    How often does a .333 team outperform the WS champ the following year?

Only other World Champs to finish in last place the next year is one of the Marlin teams that won it all, and the 2014 Red Sox.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess finishing ahead of the Nats would be kind of fun.    How often does a .333 team outperform the WS champ the following year?

It's an indication of how different 2020 is from other years: both the 2019 Nats and the 2020 Nats were 19-31 after 50 games.

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess finishing ahead of the Nationals would be kind of fun. How often does a .333 team outperform the WS champ the following year ???

40 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Only other World Champs to finish in last place the next year is one of the Marlin teams that won it all, and the 2014 Red Sox.

o

Speaking of the Marlins and the Nationals, the Marlins just took 3 out of 5 games from the Washingtonians ........ putting their overall record at 28-25, which is currently the 5th best record in the National Leaguee.

Marlins’ Doubleheader Split Caps Homestand, Sets Up Big Final Week for Playoff Race

(By Jordan McPherson)

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article245606000.html

o

10 hours ago, Philip said:

Pittsburg and Texas have 1-2 locked up. Detroit and KC are ahead of too. I think we’ll be lucky to get a single digit choice, although if they combine last year’s record with this season, we might.

DAMN this pursuit of excellence! If only we sucked just one more year!

Okay, I'll bite. How does Pittsburgh and Texas have 1-2 locked up? Sure, Pittsburgh probably has #1 locked up although mathematically, they could still drop down to as low as the sixth pick. And Texas could actually end up with a double figure pick.

11 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm still holding out hope that the 2019 team record will factor into draft standing.  Definitely ups the O's chances of getting a top 3 pick.  I dread Washington falling to 2nd worst record and getting Rocker the year after they win the World Series.

Yes, that would be awesome but I can't see MLB doing anything that will help Baltimore and hurt Washington and Boston.

17 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

John Means.

DJ Kremer.

Keegan Akin.

Alex Cobb.

Jorge Lopez.

That sounds like it could possibly be a decent rotation for 2021. 

Lopez' Walks walks are high, Kremer and Akin have only dipped their toes in the water at the Major League level, but it has the possibility of being a more-than-serviceable quintet.

o

I don't think it would be more than serviceable.

But just serviceable at all would be a huge improvement over the past few years.

I figure about a 10% chance of the 2.5 game gain on Toronto before Friday, and 10% chance of the sweep, and will enjoy the 1% as long as it lasts.   Baseball being baseball, the Jays are probably going to hit 4 HR off Cole in that AAA ballpark tonight, but it ain't over 'til it's over.   The 5-1 or 6-0 week we'd have to have here I think is plenty to beat DET/SEA/LAA if the Jays author one of the all-time playoff collapses.

That aside - how about a positive run differential for the year?   We're sitting -13, and capitalizing on Boston pitching is the path in the last week just like the first week.   Barring catastrophic injuries, anything that happens this week is gravy.

If we can't go 6-0, I think 0-6 would get my second place vote before 5-1.

16 hours ago, SteveA said:

6 wins.

3 Toronto losses either today or in their 4 game series with the Yankees.

2 Tiger losses.

2 Angel losses.

3 Mariner losses.

You know as unlikely as it sounds (and is), Buffalo has 4 left before our series with them against a hot Yankees team, and we get 3 against the lowly Red Sox.  THIS CAN STILL HAPPEN!  

1 hour ago, hutchead said:

Okay, I'll bite. How does Pittsburgh and Texas have 1-2 locked up? Sure, Pittsburgh probably has #1 locked up although mathematically, they could still drop down to as low as the sixth pick. And Texas could actually end up with a double figure pick.

At the moment Pitt and Tex are 1-2. It’s not guaranteed, but only Az is really close right now. I’m just rounding up. 
the point isn’t really the exact order though, but where the Os pick, which  could be as high as ~12

11 hours ago, SteveA said:

The 1914 A's went 99-53, won the pennant by 8.5 games and kind of had a dynasty going on.  They hadn't won fewer than 90 games in a 154-game schedule since 1908 and had three World Series wins.  Then they lost the '14 Series 4-0 to the Miracle Braves, Connie Mack decided he couldn't afford to compete with the Federal League so he sold off his stars and in '15 they finished 43-109.  Then in '16 they went 36-117, arguably the worst team since they outlawed syndicate baseball.

Also last place doesn't always mean much in the 5-team division era.  The 2014 Sox had the 4th-worst record in the AL.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The 1914 A's went 99-53, won the pennant by 8.5 games and kind of had a dynasty going on.  They hadn't won fewer than 90 games in a 154-game schedule since 1908 and had three World Series wins.  Then they lost the '14 Series 4-0 to the Miracle Braves, Connie Mack decided he couldn't afford to compete with the Federal League so he sold off his stars and in '15 they finished 43-109.  Then in '16 they went 36-117, arguably the worst team since they outlawed syndicate baseball.

Also last place doesn't always mean much in the 5-team division era.  The 2014 Sox had the 4th-worst record in the AL.

@Philip doesn't like "Phil".  I wonder if Cornelius McGillicuddy changed to his nickname - "Connie Mack" because of a dislike for his surname and given name?  Or was that just a snarky journalist like Damon Runyan making him more likable?  Good point on the '14 Sawx - but I still see them as losers.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

@Philip doesn't like "Phil".  I wonder if Cornelius McGillicuddy changed to his nickname - "Connie Mack" because of a dislike for his surname and given name?  Or was that just a snarky journalist like Damon Runyan making him more likable?  Good point on the '14 Sawx - but I still see them as losers.  

I was in the army with a fellow E5 whose name was “smoky” one day we were sitting around and we were asking him about his name and he confessed that it was not his real name. We pressed him for a while until he shamefacedly admitted that his real name was “York McMillan” And then he threatened us with violence if we ever called him anything except “Smoky”

• Haha 1