Hunter Harvey's Long-Term Health

OFFNY

o

We all know Hunter Harvey's overall track record in regard to injuries ........ he's had his share, and them some.

That said, in 2019 Harvey went through the season without any major injuries, pitching in 34 games overall ........ 26 games in the Minors (11 of which were starts) and 8 games in the Majors. That was good for 82 Innings Pitched overall. Harvey felt some soreness in his right bicep in early September. He pitched in one more game on September 13th, and the Orioles then decided to shut him down to play it safe. 

Hunter Harvey Shut Down, but Future Looks Bright

(By Todd Karpovich)

https://pressboxonline.com/2019/09/20/orioles-rhp-hunter-harvey-shut-down-but-future-looks-bright/

Just when Oriole fans thought that it was safe not to cover their eyes, it was reported that Harvey was going on the IL with elbow tightness just 2 days before the start of the 2020 season ......

Oriole fans from Brewster, NY to Baltimore and everywhere in between thought to themselves, "Oh no !!! Not again !!!"

When the front-office stated that it was minor and that they were not at all concerned about any long-term effects, many Oriole fans thought to themselves, "Yeah, right"

But lo and behold, Harvey gradually rested and rehabbed his right arm and began pitching for the Orioles on August 30th ...... and has pitched to the tune of a 2.35 ERA and a 1.043 WHIP over 7.67 Innings Pitched. He has already surpassed his 2019 Major League Innings Pitched total (Harvey pitched 6.33 Innings for the Orioles last year.)

So the question is ...... can the Orioles and their fans stop wincing every time they hear his name, and hope that it is not yet another injury ??? Or is Hunter Harvey destined to be a chronically-injured pitcher ???

o

o

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o Or is Hunter Harvey destined to be a chronically-injured pitcher ???

o

o

Is this really a question? He was drafted SEVEN years ago and has 15 MLB innings, mostly due to injuries. If HH lasts to become a FA (2026), it will be a success story for all parties.

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

So the question is ...... can the Orioles and their fans stop wincing every time they hear his name, and hope that it is not yet another injury ??? Or is Hunter Harvey destined to be a chronically-injured pitcher ???

o

o

27 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Is this really a question ??? He was drafted SEVEN years ago and has 15 MLB innings, mostly due to injuries. If HH lasts to become a FA (2026), it will be a success story for all parties.

o

Considering the fact that he is 25 years-old, yes, I think it is.

He may wind up pitching 2 or 3 more injury-riddled seasons, he may wind up pitching 5 or 6 more seasons with middle-of-the-road health, or he may wind up pitching 9 or 10 more seasons with those early-career injuries well back in the rear-view mirror.

Of those 3 hypothetical situations, I would not be surprised at all if it were the first or the second. I would be at least somewhat surprised if it were the 3rd, but I believe that that supposition is still possible.

o

4 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

He may wind up pitching 2 or 3 more injury-riddled seasons, he may wind up pitching 5 or 6 more seasons with middle-of-the-road health, or he may wind up pitching 9 or 10 more seasons with those early-career injuries well back in the rear-view mirror.

o

I think he could be healthy and shutdown. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

Ah, the "Three True Outcomes" for a pitching prospect...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

Ah, the "Three True Outcomes" for a pitching prospect ........

o

There are probably at least 97 different possibilities for how Hunter Harvey's career will wind up when all is said and done.

I just gave 3 large generalizations, in relation to the subject of the previous post.

o

20 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

Who will be on the IL more in their pro career? Harvey or Hays?

To date, Harvey has been injured far more often than Hays.    And arms are very finicky things.   

I hope that Harvey will at some point get through a season without being shut down at any point.   But it has never happened once in his seven full seasons in our organization, so I will go into next year assuming that we won’t get a full year out of him.  

We all wish the best for HH, and maybe luck will run his way on being a MLB pitcher in some format, starter, reliever, closure. I am not drawing any conclusions from his very limited activity the last couple of seasons. Hopefully the docs can guide him to get the most out of, what has been up until now,  a very iffy arm.  Would be a real loss of talent to see him not become a productive MLB pitcher in one of the above  roles.   

• Thanks 1

I'm hopeful for the Gregg Olson, Chris Ray line - in a game where age matters for almost everything, profiles like these having their few hot years are perhaps as age-agnostic as the game can be.   Honestly if he can string a few good months together, I have a vague feeling his biggest contribution to the Rutschman run could be as a 2021 trade chip.   Whatever year his summertime health lets him be in a pennant race is a year he should be in a pennant race, and I think both Elias and other clubs could see it that way next year.

2 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

We all wish the best for HH, and maybe luck will run his way on being a MLB pitcher in some format ...... starter, reliever, closer.

I am not drawing any conclusions from his very limited activity the last couple of seasons. Hopefully the doctors can guide him to get the most out of what has been up until now, a very iffy arm. It would be a real loss of talent to see him not become a productive MLB pitcher in one of the above roles.   

o

I agree completely.

Thanks.

o

13 hours ago, OFFNY said:

Of those 3 hypothetical situations, I would not be surprised at all if it were the first or the second. I would be at least somewhat surprised if it were the 3rd, but I believe that that supposition is still possible.

o

No snarkiness intended. Considering his history..I think it's 45% pitching 2 or 3 more injury-riddled seasons, 45% pitching 5 or 6 more seasons with middle-of-the-road health, and 10% pitching 9 or 10 more seasons with those early-career injuries well back in the rear-view mirror.

I'm not sure pitching 7.2 IP in 8 appearances in about 26 days time is going to convince anyone that they don't need to be worried about Harvey's health next year and beyond. Give me a full season of a regular relief work load with no DL stints or shutdowns and I'll believe it might behind him, but the only constant in Hunter Harvey's health since he was drafted was that he's not been healthy over a full season.

We all see the talent, and we all are rooting for him to get it behind him, but he needs to prove it for much longer.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1