SteveA

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

475/547/1188

11-1 .92 ERA

What’re those, his HS stats?

Comparing his 2019 season to Grayson, both in low A:

Weathers 22 starts, 96 IP, 3.84 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, 8.4 K/9, 1.7 BB/9

Rodriguez 20 starts, 94 IP, 2.68 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, 12.4 K/9, 3.4 BB/9

Quite a leap from low A to a major league playoff game. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What’re those, his HS stats?

Comparing his 2019 season to Grayson, both in low A:

Weathers 22 starts, 96 IP, 3.84 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, 8.4 K/9, 1.7 BB/9

Rodriguez 20 starts, 94 IP, 2.68 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, 12.4 K/9, 3.4 BB/9

Just the senior stats of some random former Gatorade player of the year.

I for one am amazed he managed to do well without proving himself at every minor league level first.

50 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The slowest fastball from the Rays staff last night was 94.7mph.

I want to see a modern major league team play by 1884 rules with a pitcher's box on flat ground, with the front edge 50' from the plate.  I know common opinion is that the mound is a big benefit, but I think the strikeout rate would be about 17 per nine.

And while that would be fun for a bit, it's becoming more and more obvious (at least to me) that MLB needs to move the mound back about 3' or so.

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just the senior stats of some random former Gatorade player of the year.

I for one am amazed he managed to do well without proving himself at every minor league level first.

It continues to amaze me that you feign confusing contractual rules with appropriate pace of development and promotion.  You and I both know full well that if there were no service time rules and no tie to player compensation that the average time spent in the minors would immediately drop by at least a couple years.

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Jim Palmer spent 1964, at 18, split between Aberdeen, SD in A Ball and the Orioles' Instructional League winter team.  He threw 182 innings, walking 190 and striking out 155.  Threw 32 wild pitches and hit another five batters for good measure.  He was in Baltimore for the entire 1965 season, and starting in the World Series in '66.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It continues to amaze me that you feign confusing contractual rules with appropriate pace of development and promotion.  You and I both know full well that if there were no service time rules and no tie to player compensation that the average time spent in the minors would immediately drop by at least a couple years.

I agree with that. Especially pitchers. I believe there are only so many pitches in these arms and a good two years of MLB quality pitches are being wasted in the minors for many. 

20 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm pretty sure that, for instance, Hall could have been promoted mid-season without causing a service time crisis.