1. 1. Who are the #5 and #6 Prospects?

• Baumann and Hall
    • Hall and Baumann
    • Hall and Henderson
    • Henderson and Hall
    • Henderson and Baumann

This poll is closed to new votes

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I guess that depends on whether DL Hall is progressing as he needs to maintain his status as a top of the rotation starter (a #1 or #2)?  If he is not achieving that progress or  regressing that would be sad.  

Falling on the list seems to indicate that he is not progressing as fast as other prospects at the very least.

The question is whether Hall is falling or Mountcastle etc are rising. Other guys moving up does not necessarily imply that Hall has underachieved, although I admit his BB numbers are concerning. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

On Baumann, I’ll wait to see what Tony reports he heard.   What I heard from Matt Blood’s interview on Inside the Yard was that Baumann had developed a very good curve over the offseason, to complement his fastball and slider that were already plus pitches.   So, I think the “reliever risk” with him has been greatly reduced.   It will be interesting to hear what Tony has been told about that.   

As to Hall, I’m not going to pretend I’m not worried about his apparent deficiencies in control and command.   I’m less worried about the fact that he got moved down the list than I am that he has some issues to address.

I’ve never been a guy who thinks a good pitcher is more important than having a good a good position player.   They’re both important.   Honestly, the impact of one good pitcher is shrinking because they throw fewer and fewer innings, whereas the good position players are getting the same playing time as always.   

You must have read or heard about Baumann from some place else because I just listen to the Matt Blood interview on Inside the Yard and he doesn't talk about Baumann other than to say that the Norfolk rotation could be special with  Lowther, Wells, Baumann and Bradish.   Blood was very impressed with Bradish.

16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I think it's fair to say that if Hall had made significant progress this year in the command department he probably would have been 2 or 3 on this list.  I share a little disappointment that Tony does not feel he made that progress. 

Yea, I guess I can see this POV.

The only thing I would say is that the players that jumped ahead of him basically did so because of MLB success and draft status.  That’s really Hall’s fault.  

I think you can also make the argument that you would rather have Hall over Mountcastle and Henderson.  Tony didn’t put him there but others will likely disagree. I would guess Tony will be one of the few, if not the only one, that has Hall  behind Henderson.  

We will see..won’t surprise me to see Hall in the top 4 on many lists.

16 hours ago, wildcard said:

You must have read or heard about Baumann from some place else because I just listen to the Matt Blood interview on Inside the Yard and he doesn't talk about Baumann other than to say that the Norfolk rotation could be special with  Lowther, Wells, Baumann and Bradish.   Blood was very impressed with Bradish.

My mistake, it was the Kennie Steenstra interview on “Inside the Yard” I was thinking of.    Here’s how I paraphrased it after listening to that interview:

“Said Baumann is ‘an animal’ on the mound with great velocity that carries through the zone.    Said he developed a very good curve ball over thewinter to complement his fastball/slider.”

I am very interested to see where Bradish is going to appear on this list.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My mistake, it was the Kennie Steenstra interview on “Inside the Yard” I was thinking of.    Here’s how I paraphrased it after listening to that interview:

“Said Baumann is ‘an animal’ on the mound with great velocity that carries through the zone.    Said he developed a very good curve ball over thewinter to complement his fastball/slider.”

I am very interested to see where Bradish is going to appear on this list.

Thanks for the correction.

All that was before Baumann's season ending injury.

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Thanks for the correction.

All that was before Baumann's season ending injury.

I’m not downgrading him at all for his injury, unless and until we hear that it’s something serious.   The initial report was:  

The strain is not a long-term concern and it should improve with continued rest and rehab, the source said. Surgery is not a consideration.

https://theathletic.com/2055750/2020/09/09/orioles-pitching-prospect-michael-baumann-shut-down-with-elbow-strain/?source=dailyemail

Roch later reported:

Pitching prospect Michael Baumann was shut down a few weeks ago with a flexor mass strain, but he’s expected to be full-go in spring training. There’s no ligament damage. It’s muscular, which is good news.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/09/elias-conducts-season-ending-review-on-final-weekend.html

So, I’m not saying there’s nothing to worry about, but there’s not enough evidence of a significant problem to warrant downgrading Baumann at this point.  

(Sorry for the varying font sizes, it’s from cutting and pasting and difficult to fix on my phone.)