#16 2020 Prospect: Carter Baumler - RHP

Tony-OH

After watching his videos, I guess I understand what the source who said he's a more athletic Greinke might have meant. Comping him to Grienke is a comp about how he spins the ball and changes speeds. The more athletic part - which I personally laughed at because Grienke is one of if not the best athlete off the mound I've ever seen - likely refers more to Baumler's physicality. This dude is well built already, and I'm guessing (though not sure) that the video is only from after his Junior season of high school.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

After watching his videos, I guess I understand what the source who said he's a more athletic Greinke might have meant. Comping him to Grienke is a comp about how he spins the ball and changes speeds. The more athletic part - which I personally laughed at because Grienke is one of if not the best athlete off the mound I've ever seen - likely refers more to Baumler's physicality. This dude is well built already, and I'm guessing (though not sure) that the video is only from after his Junior season of high school.

You may remember that around the time of the draft I pointed out, in response to the “more athletic Zack Greinke” comment, that Greinke has won five Gold Gloves and is one of the best-hitting pitchers in MLB.  I seriously doubt Baumler is more athletic than Greinke, but I will take the remark as a high compliment about his athleticism.   

The other pitcher who’s supposed to be very athletic is DL Hall.   If so, you have to wonder why he’s having control/command issues.    You’d think that being a good athlete would lead to having good control/command.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You may remember that around the time of the draft I pointed out, in response to the “more athletic Zack Greinke” comment, that Greinke has won five Gold Gloves and is one of the best-hitting pitchers in MLB.  I seriously doubt Baumler is more athletic than Greinke, but I will take the remark as a high compliment about his athleticism.   

The other pitcher who’s supposed to be very athletic is DL Hall.   If so, you have to wonder why he’s having control/command issues.    You’d think that being a good athlete would lead to having good control/command.   

Can Greinke dunk a basketball despite being just 6-2? Was Greinke also going to be able to punt at the D-I level as well as play baseball? I don't know whether one is more athletic than the other, but this kid is a three-sport athlete who choose baseball. 

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Can Greinke dunk a basketball despite being just 6-2? Was Greinke also going to be able to punt at the D-I level as well as play baseball? I don't know whether one is more athletic than the other, but this kid is a three-sport athlete who choose baseball. 

Good to know all that about Baumler.   Greinke was a state-ranked tennis player, excellent golfer and also played basketball and volleyball.    And, he played SS when not pitching.   So, they both have a lot going for them.    Let’s just say that Greinke’s athleticism has translated very well to various skills that help him to be a great all-around baseball player.   I’d love it if Baumler’s athleticism translates in a similar way.   

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Tony, I get the argument but...punting?  C'mon.  :) 

• Haha 1

Yeah, I'm not knocking the kid's athleticism - I trust that it's top notch - but Grienke is exceptional. That's really all I'm saying. It's kind of like saying he hits like Bonds, only with better power. Well, maybe that's extreme, but it illustrates the point I think.

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Yeah, I'm not knocking the kid's athleticism - I trust that it's top notch - but Grienke is exceptional. That's really all I'm saying. It's kind of like saying he hits like Bonds, only with better power. Well, maybe that's extreme, but it illustrates the point I think.

Folks tend to be overly generous with player comps.

By the way, is anyone (besides me) old enough to remember the show The Superstars?    They’d have athletes from different sports engaging in 10 events including one where they had to scale a wall using a rope and then run an obstacle course.   The baseball players usually fared very poorly.   It ran 29 years and only once did a baseball player win (Kelly Gruber, 1991).

Gruber also long-jumped; played guard, forward and center in basketball, and quarterback and defensive back in football.   He was offered a football scholarship at University of Texas but reluctantly opted for baseball.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Way off the OP, but who was the best athlete who pitched for the Orioles? Mike Mussina, Ken Dixon, Mike Boddicker and Ben McDonald come to mind for me. Sidney Ponson? ?

I’ll start here:

”Jim Palmer was a tremendous athlete in school and earned All-State honors in three different sports (baseball, football and basketball). On the diamond, he was a slugger with a .483 batting average. On the gridiron, he had a four- touchdown reception performance and on the hardwood, he averaged 25 points a game to lead the state of Arizona in scoring his senior year. Although offered a scholarship to UCLA to play basketball, Jim signed with the Baltimore Orioles in 1963 as a free agent.”  

https://premierespeakers.com/jim-palmer/bio

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll start here:

”Jim Palmer was a tremendous athlete in school and earned All-State honors in three different sports (baseball, football and basketball). On the diamond, he was a slugger with a .483 batting average. On the gridiron, he had a four- touchdown reception performance and on the hardwood, he averaged 25 points a game to lead the state of Arizona in scoring his senior year. Although offered a scholarship to UCLA to play basketball, Jim signed with the Baltimore Orioles in 1963 as a free agent.”  

https://premierespeakers.com/jim-palmer/bio

I'll counter with the guy that was drafted by MLB for six consecutive seasons:

Hendrickson was a three-sport standout in tennis, basketball, and baseball at Mount Vernon High School in the state of Washington. During his sophomore year, he was a member of the state championship baseball team and the runner-up state basketball team. He was a member of the state championship basketball team during his junior year, where he earned recognition as the co-MVP of the tournament for his play. He was also named team captain, team MVP, and named to the All-Area and All-State teams. A tennis state qualifier, Hendrickson was also named to the baseball All-Area team.

As a senior, Hendrickson led the Bulldogs to a second basketball championship. He was team captain, team MVP, All-Area, All-State, and the state basketball tournament MVP. For his performance on the basketball court, he was named the Gatorade State Player of the Year. In addition to his remarkable basketball play, he was able to help his team win the state championship in baseball, while also qualifying for state in tennis. He was named the Skagit Valley Herald Athlete of the Year both his junior and senior years.

He also played in the NBA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hendrickson

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1