Wilkerson re-signed with Spring Training invite

Legend_Of_Joey

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Wilkerson is a good depth guy to have in the system because he has a little speed, can play the outfield and second base decently, and fill in for a few innings at 3B or even SS. Plus he helps the AAA team out because he can fill in so many positions.

He’s okay but I think the days of us needing a super-utility guy who can play both OF and IF are over, with the OF depth that’s graduated to the majors.    I far prefer Valaika given our current configuration.   Of course, if we non-tender Alberto we may find Valaika promoted to starting 2B.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s okay but I think the days of us needing a super-utility guy who can play both OF and IF are over, with the OF depth that’s graduated to the majors.    I far prefer Valaika given our current configuration.   Of course, if we non-tender Alberto we may find Valaika promoted to starting 2B.

I prefer Valaika as well. I don't think Wilkerson is a a good major league player, but as I said, he's a decent guy to have in the system.

I think Urius will get first shot to stick as the everyday 2B, but Valaika could be in the running for sure. 

Wilkerson is a platoon player vs righties.  He doesn't  hit lefties well.   2B and 1B are his best  positions though he does not hit well enough to be anything  but a backup at 1B.    Roch mentioned the possibility of an expanded roster in 2021 which is Wilkerson's best chance to stick in the majors.  The outfield is crowded pushing him to the infield.   He has options and is able to move up and down to AAA and the majors.   That is probably his role if roster expansion does not  happen.

Alberto, Valaika, Urias, Wilkerson  and Bannon are all in the 2B mix.   Iglesias with Velazquez being the best backup at SS.  Ruiz and Alberto are the best defensively at 3B and adding Wilkerson does not change that.

How many games will the owners want to play without fans in the stands?  How many will be on the roster? Are  Alberto and Nunez  be offered arbitration?  All that plays into what chance Wilkerson has to make the majors.

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I prefer Valaika as well. I don't think Wilkerson is a a good major league player, but as I said, he's a decent guy to have in the system.

I think Urena will get first shot to stick as the everyday 2B, but Valaika could be in the running for sure. 

Urena should be eligible to be a minor league free agent.  Have you heard that the O's are re-signing him?