David Hess Appreciation Thread

86this

16 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Very nice guy, who just couldn’t put it together for an extended time.

We will always remember Toronto!

Turning point for that entire season.   Riding high at 3-1 and then Hess is yanked with a no hitter going.   Sure, we won the next day, but after that we went 50-107.   Hess not being able to go for the no-no obviously took the steam out of the team.

• Haha 1

Yes, I said at the time that if you were trying to ruin a players confidence, morale and desire to play for that team, well it was done in one fell swoop. I had a special hope for him as my daughter lives just outside his hometown of Tullahoma, Tn.  The only town named Tullahoma in the U. S. A.      

14 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

Yes, I said at the time that if you were trying to ruin a players confidence, morale and desire to play for that team, well it was done in one fell swoop.

If you're a modern pitcher and you're upset about getting yanked in the 7th inning of an early April start on three days rest, after the last two batters hit line drive at'em balls then maybe you need a time machine to 1978.

28 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If you're a modern pitcher and you're upset about getting yanked in the 7th inning of an early April start on three days rest, after the last two batters hit line drive at'em balls then maybe you need a time machine to 1978.

Hess would have been a pretty solid pitcher in 1978.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

Appreciation thread is probably premature.   He cleared waivers (shocker!) and was assigned to Norfolk.   He'll likely be a non-roster intivitee to spring training and will be wearing an Oriole uniform when pitchers and catchers report on Feb 16.

He declared Free Agency yesterday.

Kohl Stewart and Branden Kline just did the same.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 7:22 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

Peoples feelings are the same 1978 or 2020.  If people cannot see the difference between trying to give a young, struggling pitcher a psychological boast in this way, and doing it for an established veteran then I rest my case.  I understand that this society is  about hurting as many people  as much of the time as possible, in  sports as everywhere else.  How is that working out for sports and life in general?.  I will say this in closing,  What goes around comes around.  If people  have not learned that fairly early in life, then I truly feel sorry for them.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

Peoples feelings are the same 1978 or 2020.  If people cannot see the difference between trying to give a young, struggling pitcher a psychological boast in this way, and doing it for an established veteran then I rest my case.  I understand that this society is  about hurting as many people  as much of the time as possible, in  sports as everywhere else.  How is that working out for sports and life in general?.  I will say this in closing,  What goes around comes around.  If people  have not learned that fairly early in life, then I truly feel sorry for them.  

I don't find that to be true.  Society has changed in the last forty years.

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2020 at 2:17 PM, Oriole1940 said:

How does anyone get a psychological boost from being left in long enough to get hit around?  He was up 6-0, in line for a win, coming off 42 pitches just three days prior, it was April 1st.  And literally the last two batters he faced were liner to short, and liner to first.  They took him out because he could go to the showers knowing that he pitched six very strong innings and was in line for the win.  That was the psychological boost, not leaving him out there gassed to give up a bunch of hits and runs.

• Upvote 2