Orioles Agree to Deal With Severino

VaBird1

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

MLBTR was projecting 1.4 but the Orioles spent more than that. Guess the O's feel he is the bridge to  AR.

If I read that MLBTR chart correctly, it looks like they actually used 3 different methodologies to project the number, with 2 showing $1.4, and 1 showing $2.3.  So it seems to me that the $1.825 number is in line with the range they were looking at.  I actually thought that Severino might be a non-tender, but I wasn't sure. 

9 minutes ago, owknows said:

Hard to argue with this move.

I can argue with it. His defense is bad, his offense is spotty, And what we need at the moment is a catcher who can help the pitchers rather than hindering them. 

The money isn’t a huge amount so I don’t complain about that, but I’m curious as to why he got more than expected, and also surprised they didn’t think they could do better on the open market?

16 minutes ago, Philip said:

I can argue with it. His defense is bad, his offense is spotty, And what we need at the moment is a catcher who can help the pitchers rather than hindering them. 

Not sure what you're basing that on.

Pedro catches more stealing (.425 to .380)... Fields his position as well... (both Wynns and Severino are career .992)

You think Wynns calls a better game?  CERA is pretty subjective...

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

Pedro catches more stealing (.425 to .380)... Fields his position as well... (both Wynns and Severino are career .992)

Pedro is really bad at blocking pitches

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, owknows said:

I wouldn't use fielding percentage as evidence for or against a catcher's defensive ability.