Daniel Robertson as potential SS in 2021?

ofan239

After researching many of the potential candidates to take over at shortstop I think Daniel Robertson may be our best option 

Here’s why :

- cost effective - He will probably cost around 3 mm . That’s less than Iglesias 

- he can play multiple positions - he came up as a shortstop but has played 3b , 2b and left field 

- he gets on base - Os could potentially put him atop the lineup and the lead off problem could be solved for a year 

- he’s played in our division. - this one isn’t a deal breaker if he hadn’t but I think it certainly helps his cause 

- he came up from the Oakland As farm system as a top prospect - as a shortstop . Working counts and getting on base is drilled into their heads in this system and we need more of these type of guys in ours 

-could be here for more than just this year if he establishes himself - as a starter or as a super utility guy 

thoughts? - I’d also like to hear some negatives anyone has heard . Haven’t really heard or read of any .

• Upvote 1

I think you are on the right track trying to think of the "next Iglesias", a veteran who can be had on a short term contract with an option and then flipped if he builds his trade value. 

I had been thinking Semien coming off an off year, but it sounds like he is going to be expensive. 

How about bringing back Villar? Houston connection and did well with the O's, hit 16 HR at home in 2019. If he sucks, then it's no harm done. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ofan239 said:

After researching many of the potential candidates to take over at shortstop I think Daniel Robertson may be our best option 

Here’s why :

- cost effective - He will probably cost around 3 mm . That’s less than Iglesias 

- he can play multiple positions - he came up as a shortstop but has played 3b , 2b and left field 

- he gets on base - Os could potentially put him atop the lineup and the lead off problem could be solved for a year 

- he’s played in our division. - this one isn’t a deal breaker if he hadn’t but I think it certainly helps his cause 

- he came up from the Oakland As farm system as a top prospect - as a shortstop . Working counts and getting on base is drilled into their heads in this system and we need more of these type of guys in ours 

-could be here for more than just this year if he establishes himself - as a starter or as a super utility guy 

thoughts? - I’d also like to hear some negatives anyone has heard . Haven’t really heard or read of any .

I mentioned him in the other thread! I'm in the buy now trade later Elias MO with this guy! Give him a 2.5-3.5 per year deal similar to what you gave Iglesias with a second year or the option. Play him at 2B or 3B as Sanchez is just a UTI and Ruiz should be sent packing.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

How about bringing back Villar? Houston connection and did well with the O's, hit 16 HR at home in 2019. If he sucks, then it's no harm done. 

Villar is the exact opposite of a player you'd bring in to try and trade. He predictably fell off a cliff last year (60 games isn't a huge sample, i know) and I would imagine after that awful trade the Jays made, no team is going to be lining up to follow suit. The dream scenario is that one of the big name FA SS (Semien, Didi, Simmons, Kim) isn't signed in this depressed market and his value plummets to a level the Orioles deem acceptable but that has about a 5% chance of happening.

33 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think you are on the right track trying to think of the "next Iglesias", a veteran who can be had on a short term contract with an option and then flipped if he builds his trade value. 

I had been thinking Semien coming off an off year, but it sounds like he is going to be expensive. 

If the price is right, I like Villar as an option.   He did struggle in 2020, but that might just help the price be right and maybe he really does well for us again and can be dealt at the deadline. 

23 minutes ago, murph said:

If the price is right, I like Villar as an option.   He did struggle in 2020, but that might just help the price be right and maybe he really does well for us again and can be dealt at the deadline. 

I like Villar but the league doesnt value him for whatever the reason. If you want to bring him here because he's better than the dumpster fire that your currently have at SS, 2B , and 3B I'm cool with it. If you are bringing him hoping to cash in on a trade it most likely wont happen no matter how well he performs.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Villar is the exact opposite of a player you'd bring in to try and trade. He predictably fell off a cliff last year (60 games isn't a huge sample, i know) and I would imagine after that awful trade the Jays made, no team is going to be lining up to follow suit. The dream scenario is that one of the big name FA SS (Semien, Didi, Simmons, Kim) isn't signed in this depressed market and his value plummets to a level the Orioles deem acceptable but that has about a 5% chance of happening.

Buy high sell high is not usually a good strategy. Kim, Semien, and Didi will no doubt be looking for long term deals, exactly what you don't want on a rebuilding team. Simmons could fit the profile.

The argument for Villar would be he has every incentive to play at a high level on a one year deal. Again, if he stinks it doesn't cost us anything. All upside, little downside. Certainly the Jays would not trade for him but some other teams desperate for a shortstop might. 

I wonder though with Lindor and Correa hitting free agency, if the trade deadline market for SS might be depressed this year. Might not be the year to try to flip a SS. 

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Buy high sell high is not usually a good strategy. Kim, Semien, and Didi will no doubt be looking for long term deals, exactly what you don't want on a rebuilding team. Simmons could fit the profile.

The argument for Villar would be he has every incentive to play at a high level on a one year deal. Again, if he stinks it doesn't cost us anything. All upside, little downside. Certainly the Jays would not trade for him but some other teams desperate for a shortstop might. 

I wonder though with Lindor and Correa hitting free agency, if the trade deadline market for SS might be depressed this year. Might not be the year to try to flip a SS. 

I think they will all be looking for long term deals but I highly doubt they all get them. This year definitely seems like a "build your value" type of year specifically for Simmons and Semien (Didi deserves a long term deal) and the Korean FA seems to have some flaws that may prohibit a big deal.  That still probably just means they all end up going to a fringe contender on a cheap deal instead. I gotta say I will be disappointed if they don't sign at least one semi big name FA to make things interesting (Puig, Schwarber, any SS etc.)

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I like Villar but the league doesnt value him for whatever the reason. If you want to bring him here because he's better than the dumpster fire that your currently have at SS, 2B , and 3B I'm cool with it. If you are bringing him hoping to cash in on a trade it most likely wont happen no matter how well he performs.

I don't know, if he is on his way to another almost 4 win year and he is cheap, I can't believe some team wouldn't be interested.   Espeically if that team is in the hunt and has a key injury of a middle infielder.  I know that is a very unlikely outcome and yes I would be OK with him as a replacement over other options (he is at least entertaining to watch play, if not always the smartest player). 

12 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I gotta say I will be disappointed if they don't sign at least one semi big name FA to make things interesting (Puig, Schwarber, any SS etc.)

It's only December, so anything's possible, but the tea leaves are not telling us the O's will bring in a significant upgrade anywhere.

That said, if I were in charge, I wouldn't tip my hand either. I'd give off the same impression that Elias is, but would be willing to spend on value. I just don't think that's where Elias is. 

3 hours ago, ScGO's said:

If the Korean SS seems like a good investment.  We could back load the contract to coincide with the Cobb and Davis money over the next two seasons.  Sign him to 4 year deal for 50 Mil.  3, 7, 15, 25?  Would that get it done?

He probably gets way less than that.

• Like 1