Snell to Padres

Sports Guy

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Do you think the low attendance comes from the fact that they’re always trading their best players a couple of years before they hit free agency?   I suppose that’s a plausible theory, but I think that’s a very minor factor in why the Rays have low attendance.    

That's about 7th or 11th or something on the list of reasons they draw poorly.

Actually, they have a tiny payroll because they draw poorly mainly for other reasons.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's about 7th or 11th or something on the list of reasons they draw poorly.

Actually, they have a tiny payroll because they draw poorly mainly for other reasons.

They have a tiny payroll because the owner like to make money off his investment.

From being down here I'd say roster churn isn't a reason folks don't go to games.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Do you think the low attendance comes from the fact that they’re always trading their best players a couple of years before they hit free agency?   I suppose that’s a plausible theory, but I think that’s a very minor factor in why the Rays have low attendance.    

I mean, I wouldn't attribute it to any one thing, but the perception that they will never spend money and aren't playing to win can't be good for the fan base. 

Regardless, my only point was that I would be bummed if I am a Tampa fan. I would understand the reality of the business but still bummed. 

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I mean, I wouldn't attribute it to any one thing, but the perception that they will never spend money and aren't playing to win can't be good for the fan base. 

Regardless, my only point was that I would be bummed if I am a Tampa fan. I would understand the reality of the business but still bummed. 

Huh?

The Rays are pretty darn competitive despite being in the AL East.  Last I checked they weren't the team in year three of lose as many games as possible mode.

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yea, being good every year is terrible!  :)

Tampa had 4 years with a losing record from 2014-2017 proceeded by 5 winning seasons, so there was a rebuild happening in Tampa, even if their good minor league system keep them from getting top draft picks. Trading Snell is kind of a red flag since he is signed for three more years. If I was a Tampa fan, i'd be a little confused.  They must have gotten an offer they cant turn down from San Diego. 

5 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Tampa had 4 years with a losing record from 2014-2017 proceeded by 5 winning seasons, so there was a rebuild happening in Tampa, even if their good minor league system keep them from getting top draft picks. Trading Snell is kind of a red flag since he is signed for three more years. If I was a Tampa fan, i'd be a little confused.  They must have gotten an offer they cant turn down from San Diego. 

Two of the four seasons in question they finished 80-82.

I remember when the OH would have held a parade for a 80-82 season.

7 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

It isn't funny to make fun of old people.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Two of the four seasons in question they finished 80-82.

I remember when the OH would have held a parade for a 80-82 season.

The Orioles had several years like 80-82 during their 14 year winless stretch, I wasnt happy about any of them, but today a 80-82 would mean progress at least. 

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

The Orioles had several years like 80-82 during their 14 year winless stretch, I wasnt happy about any of them, but today a 80-82 would mean progress at least. 

They had a 78 and a 79 win team right after they were competitive and a 78 win team that finished 23 games out after signing Tejada. 

I'm guessing that if the 2010 team had did that folks would have been very happy.

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Imagine that, a team was rebuilding and still managed to be near 500 and had a relatively watchable product.  What a novel concept!