New Agreement ties Norfolk to Orioles for a decade...Also snippets about AAA season (Covid Effected)

Roll Tide

The Norfolk Tides have signed Major League Baseball’s Professional Development License, which keeps them affiliated with the Baltimore Orioles for the next 10 years, team president Ken Young confirmed Wednesday.

I like the stability even though I don’t like the Tides stadium effect.

Young said it’s likely that the Tides will play in a regional league set up to reduce travel. The teams might play longer series than in years past.

Triple-A teams will likely play a schedule reflecting that of major league teams, which start playing April 1. MLB informed clubs in January that players at Double-A and below won’t report to spring training until Triple-A and major league players break camp, effectively delaying the season at those levels.

The changes in Triple-A could be drastic.

The current iteration of the IL ranges from just outside Atlanta in the south to Rochester, New York, in the north to Indianapolis in the west.

“If I had to bet, we’re not going to be called the International League anymore,” Tides GM Joe Gregory said. “And who’s going to be in that league isn’t exactly crystal-clear.

“Everything is just best guesses at this point.”

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/vp-sp-tides-agreement-20210210-eicwpocstrbqtncdx4j5v5pisa-story.html

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm guessing anyone that can buy the O's can buy out the Tides.

Or they will stay the AAA affiliate for the length of the contract.  Norfolk isn't that far from Nashville.

I liked it when the Marlins' AAA affiliate was in Edmonton, and then Calgary.  Someone had to have lost a bet, right?

Also, happy the O's are locked in with Norfolk.  Oh... or maybe they're doing this as part of the grand conspiracy to move the team.  The Orioles will move to Norfolk, and Baltimore will become their AAA affiliate.  Yes, that's what's happening.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• This.  Baseball is a game of failure, but my goodness these guys went above and beyond in that department. Productive outs shouldn't be that hard.  Watch Witt in the first inning of Game 2.  And while the two playoff games perfectly told the story of the 2024 Orioles offense, I am hopeful that national stage embarrassment provides a real learning experience and motivation for fixing what is wrong with them.  As much as I am sure it hurts to watch your own hand being broken, Cowser should be watching that AB every single day from now until next October. Same thing with Adley channeling his inner Chris Davis and staring at that 2-0 meatball like he has never seen a major league pitch before.  
    • Could fit the profile Elias likes of veteran free agents who might be willing to sign for few years at higher AAV's. I love the splitter. I'd be interested. Free agent means no posting fee, correct? Not that it matters.
    • All the talk about facing LH pitchers and needing RH bats to match up - I think it’s a bit overblown. Our approach was terrible and our guys failed to play team baseball just as much against RHP w/ platoon advantage. Guys just consistently failed to do their job.
    • I agree on both parts here. I’ve been reflecting on my love for baseball. Even the postseason helped me realize I enjoy the slow burn of the regular season.  I also am far away from MD and for me Baltimore is part of my cultural roots (both parents from the area). So in some sort of way, like you said, maybe there’s a healthy separation and more tolerance for failure. Maybe even nostalgia, lol. But I’ll take it. 
    • I don’t live in Maryland either, but I still have family that are there and most of them are more into the Ravens, yet they send me O’s stuff all the time — which really isn’t a great pulse for O’s fan expectations. I think from the time I lived there until now (which is a few decades), Baltimore is definitely more of a football town. Maybe my family does reflect the times? As for OH and representation, that’s a fascinating question. To me, the OH feels like the place is generally a group of the hardcore of the hardcore baseball fans, with some part timers mixed in. The differences tend to break on personality types (cynics, optimists, realists — and a handful of comedians). If Elias only tweaks a couple things and doesn’t make any fundamental changes (like maybe drafting more pitchers) or pretending nothing can be done about RISP — then any glow about the rebuild will truly fade, at least in my house. 
    • The lack of velocity will be issue I think in majors at his age but the secondary pitches must be very good.  It is interesting that in Japan the splitter is like the cutter/sweeper is in MLB.  It seems Asian league goes more for the up and down movement while MLB pitching strategy is the lateral movement of pitches.  
  • Popular Contributors