New Agreement ties Norfolk to Orioles for a decade...Also snippets about AAA season (Covid Effected)

Roll Tide

The Norfolk Tides have signed Major League Baseball’s Professional Development License, which keeps them affiliated with the Baltimore Orioles for the next 10 years, team president Ken Young confirmed Wednesday.

I like the stability even though I don’t like the Tides stadium effect.

Young said it’s likely that the Tides will play in a regional league set up to reduce travel. The teams might play longer series than in years past.

Triple-A teams will likely play a schedule reflecting that of major league teams, which start playing April 1. MLB informed clubs in January that players at Double-A and below won’t report to spring training until Triple-A and major league players break camp, effectively delaying the season at those levels.

The changes in Triple-A could be drastic.

The current iteration of the IL ranges from just outside Atlanta in the south to Rochester, New York, in the north to Indianapolis in the west.

“If I had to bet, we’re not going to be called the International League anymore,” Tides GM Joe Gregory said. “And who’s going to be in that league isn’t exactly crystal-clear.

“Everything is just best guesses at this point.”

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/vp-sp-tides-agreement-20210210-eicwpocstrbqtncdx4j5v5pisa-story.html

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm guessing anyone that can buy the O's can buy out the Tides.

Or they will stay the AAA affiliate for the length of the contract.  Norfolk isn't that far from Nashville.

I liked it when the Marlins' AAA affiliate was in Edmonton, and then Calgary.  Someone had to have lost a bet, right?

Also, happy the O's are locked in with Norfolk.  Oh... or maybe they're doing this as part of the grand conspiracy to move the team.  The Orioles will move to Norfolk, and Baltimore will become their AAA affiliate.  Yes, that's what's happening.