OF Derek Fisher DFA - Any Interest?

sportsfan8703

He's got the high exit velocity and hard hit % that Elias typically likes and his .333 XWOBA was over the major league average of .322 last year. His draw back is he doesn't appear to be a very good defensive outfielder. Despite his good sprint speed, he has poor reaction times and burst and he basically will catch anything hit right at him but his 2+ Star catch percentage last year was an awful 11.1% with a -2 OOA overall. Obviously this is a small sample size from last year in TOR, but his reaction and burst speed have not been good in any season.

Now, the problem he's had at the plate despite the good exit velocities is his below average launch angle. He just hits a lot of balls on the ground which limits his effectiveness and game power. If Elias thinks they can tweak his stroke and get to that power, and if he thinks he can live with the defense, I could see Elias taking him and giving him a look in the spring.

He honestly looks like a no-brainer to take a look at through a waiver claim and if there's no use for him, try to get him through waivers and into AAA as depth.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

At our stage, it makes very little sense to try out a 27 year old prospect.  We have better prospects who are younger.  

Sure but we aren’t playing any of those right now.  This is basically Fisher getting time over Mullins (and we can still have Mullins on the roster).  

I would rather see that happen.

He has just over 400 career at bats in the majors spanning 4 seasons.  The sample size isn’t there yet.

Again, he may just not be good.  I get that. Still rather find that out than give the at bats to Mullins.  Fisher was a far better performing in the minors and has higher upside.  At this point, Mullins is probably the better bet to at least have some role in the majors but Fisher still carries the higher upside.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

He has just over 400 career at bats in the majors spanning 4 seasons.  The sample size isn’t there yet.

Again, he may just not be good.  I get that. Still rather find that out than give the at bats to Mullins.  Fisher was a far better performing in the minors and has higher upside.  At this point, Mullins is probably the better bet to at least have some role in the majors but Fisher still carries the higher upside.

The x factor here is that Mullins has shown to have plus range as a center fielder and Fischer has been a below average defender wherever he's played in the outfield. I do think there is some upside with the bat with Fischer if they can tweak the swing and create more launch angle, but defensively they don't compare and I think Elias will want as much outfield defense as he can get in center if he needs to play Mountcastle in LF.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The x factor here is that Mullins has shown to have plus range as a center fielder and Fischer has been a below average defender wherever he's played in the outfield. I do think there is some upside with the bat with Fischer if they can tweak the swing and create more launch angle, but defensively they don't compare and I think Elias will want as much outfield defense as he can get in center if he needs to play Mountcastle in LF.

That’s fine and Mullins can still be on the team.

That being said, Mullins isn’t good and he has very little, if any, upside.

Fisher does.  Btw, UZR and UZR/150 doesn’t hate him as a COer.  Probably not a CFer though.  He’s a big guy, so it’s not all that surprising.

We also have DH at bats too.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

He's got the high exit velocity and hard hit % that Elias typically likes and his .333 XWOBA was over the major league average of .322 last year. His draw back is he doesn't appear to be a very good defensive outfielder. Despite his good sprint speed, he has poor reaction times and burst and he basically will catch anything hit right at him but his 2+ Star catch percentage last year was an awful 11.1% with a -2 OOA overall. Obviously this is a small sample size from last year in TOR, but his reaction and burst speed have not been good in any season.

Now, the problem he's had at the plate despite the good exit velocities is his below average launch angle. He just hits a lot of balls on the ground which limits his effectiveness and game power. If Elias thinks they can tweak his stroke and get to that power, and if he thinks he can live with the defense, I could see Elias taking him and giving him a look in the spring.

He honestly looks like a no-brainer to take a look at through a waiver claim and if there's no use for him, try to get him through waivers and into AAA as depth.

I don't think claiming him is the right move.    The two most vulnerable players of the 40 man roster are Lopez and Goudeau and they are both more valuable to the O's than Fisher.   I would wait to see if he becomes a FA and then try to sign him to a minor league contract.

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think claiming him is the right move.    The two most vulnerable players of the 40 man roster are Lopez and Goudeau and they are both more valuable to the O's than Fisher.   I would wait to see if he becomes a FA and then try to sign him to a minor league contract.

Lopez and Goudeau aren’t valuable to anyone and there are several other guys you could easily cut as well.

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lopez and Goudeau aren’t valuable to anyone and there are several other guys you could easily cut as well.

During ST Chris Holt will use his analytics and pitching knowledge to assess if he can improve Lopez  and Goudeau.   If he can they will become part the O's pitching depth.  If he can't they will probably be DFA and outrighted with their place taken by Felix Hernandez to name one.  

Fisher is not a good defensive outfielder.  He may or may not be a better defender than Stewart.   His role on the O's if they claimed him would probably be a DH.  That is his upside.   Which is of minimal  value to the O's with the players they already have.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Career batting average of .194, so what exactly is the appeal of signing Fisher when the Orioles have enough outfielders already.

Well again, if you look at his statcast hitting information and it suggest there's talent in there. Perhaps Elias may think a swing tweak could allow for him to tap into that bat speed and raw power. 

Goudeau, Lopez and Sulser are three guys I would drop off the 40-man to take a look. 

But saying that, if Elias thinks he will make it through waivers unclaimed, then just sign him to a minor league contract. I have no idea if he can get to his promise, but he's rolling into his prime age so if there's a good time to "break out" now would be it.

I think he's worth a look, but Elias and company have much more data to go off of and probably are familiar with the guy so honestly, whatever they do I'm good with.

I give him a break playing defense in Toronto’s big OF. There is a lot less space in OPACY. We ask him to play LF/RF in OPACY. My thinking is that he has more upside than Mullins, but that you can have both at the moment. Mullins goes to AAA for everyday ABs. Fisher is the 4th OF until there is an injury, or Mancini, and/or Santander get dealt. 

Right now it’s not a Fisher vs Mullins scenario for a 40 man spot, just a 26 man spot. It’s a Fisher vs one of the bottom Pitchers on our 40 man. I think Fisher has more upside than those guys. 

Get him back with Elias and some of the people that were developing him in HOU. The guy was looking like a 20-20 COF when he hit Top 100 lists. 

I don’t think we see Diaz this year until September at the earliest. So Fisher would get a good chance with everyday ABs if we do make some trades. 

We are exactly the type of team that should take this risk. I’m willing to sacrifice one of the gas can “pitchers” on the bottom of our 40 man. We’ll probably go through thirty pitchers over a 162 game season. Fisher has the potential to be an everyday LF/RF. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well again, if you look at his statcast hitting information and it suggest there's talent in there. Perhaps Elias may think a swing tweak could allow for him to tap into that bat speed and raw power. 

Goudeau, Lopez and Sulser are three guys I would drop off the 40-man to take a look. 

But saying that, if Elias thinks he will make it through waivers unclaimed, then just sign him to a minor league contract. I have no idea if he can get to his promise, but he's rolling into his prime age so if there's a good time to "break out" now would be it.

I think he's worth a look, but Elias and company have much more data to go off of and probably are familiar with the guy so honestly, whatever they do I'm good with.

Elias has enough gravitas that if he wants to take a chance on Fisher, I'll take his word for it given Elias' history with Fisher in the Astros organization. If Fisher can be signed to a minor league deal, that's what I would prefer because I think the odds are against him becoming a legitimate major leaguer. 

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Exactly. We’re going to go through 10-20 pitchers just like these guys next year between the waiver wire and adding milb’ers like Eshelman. Those three are a dime a dozen. 

Also, 2/3 of those three would clear waivers right now. Maybe 3/3. We’re not exactly drowning in pitching. Teams aren’t clamoring for our roster crunch releases. 

Edited by sportsfan8703