Why is the book closed on Mountcastle at 3rd?

sportsfan8703

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not convinced Mullins is more than a 4th/5th outfielder at the major league level and he's only that because if his defensive abilities. His XWOBA was much lower than his WOBA which of course is probably due to the success of the bunt hits. Either way, he did make some progress hitting left-handed but he still should only bat against righties in emergencies or as a late game fill in.

You said that backwards, right?    He’s better when hitting as a LHB vs. RHP.   

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You caught me before I had fixed it or while I was fixing it. 

"but he still should only bat right-handed in emergencies "

Do you think it would be wise to give up switch hitting and bat lefthanded vs lefties (when he has to face them at all)?   Means he can spend all his BP time from the left side of the plate.

22 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Do you think it would be wise to give up switch hitting and bat lefthanded vs lefties (when he has to face them at all)?   Means he can spend all his BP time from the left side of the plate.

It probably can't hurt, but I think it's hard for batters to give up that one side. He did collect his first two extra base hits batting right-handed last year including that one home run and put up a .304 WOBA against fastballs, but he's just not a guy you want at the plate batting right-handed frequently. 

Saying all that, don't think any amount of batting practice is going to change his abilities against major league pitching. Only swing tweaks and experience could do that if possible.

5 hours ago, BrendanPlutschak said:

Maybe I'm wrong here, but why are we forced to play him at a position and not make him the DH 75% of the time? Like I get that a player has more value as a position player, and it gives you significantly more flexibility to have guys who can play positions and move things around so guys can get rest days at DH instead of having to sit completely. However it's looking like Santander, Hayes, and Mullins are all above average to very good defensive outfielders. Everything says that Diaz is an above average to very good defensive outfielder. I'm not convinced that playing Mountcastle in LF over Hayes or Mullins is the best idea.

To me he's a DH, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. In a pinch when someone needs a day off throw him in left for a game, throw him at first for a game. Give him some practice at 3rd if you want and see if he can fill in there for a game. But put the kid at DH and let him hit, and let your defense shine without him.

And here is a voice of Reason in a troubled world.

16 hours ago, BrendanPlutschak said:

Maybe I'm wrong here, but why are we forced to play him at a position and not make him the DH 75% of the time? Like I get that a player has more value as a position player, and it gives you significantly more flexibility to have guys who can play positions and move things around so guys can get rest days at DH instead of having to sit completely. However it's looking like Santander, Hayes, and Mullins are all above average to very good defensive outfielders. Everything says that Diaz is an above average to very good defensive outfielder. I'm not convinced that playing Mountcastle in LF over Hayes or Mullins is the best idea.

To me he's a DH, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. In a pinch when someone needs a day off throw him in left for a game, throw him at first for a game. Give him some practice at 3rd if you want and see if he can fill in there for a game. But put the kid at DH and let him hit, and let your defense shine without him.

Gotta get DJ Stewart’s bat in the lineup as well. We’re looking at Mountcastle in LF, Mancini at 1B, Santander in RF, and Stewart at DH. Mancini will likely be traded by the time Diaz is “ready” to come up. 

Best case scenario is that we could trade Mancini and Severino at the deadline for a 3B and SS that will be ready for the 2022 season. 

On 2/16/2021 at 11:02 AM, Can_of_corn said:

I'd actually be interested in seeing if a player with an accurate but exceeding weak infield arm would ever get called for an error when a hitter beats the throw to first.

My guess is they wouldn't.

I think you are right regardless of the quality of the arm. You may remember Valaika at SS fielding a three-hopper hit directly at him. He still couldn't throw out the runner at first, somehow. I don't think his arm was the problem, rather his slowness and lack of aggressiveness at fielding the grounder.