Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?

Frobby

Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?

• Yes, he should be on the Opening Day Roster if he has a good spring
    • Yes, no matter what, but only after he passes the date for a 7th year of control
    • Only if we are contending and he’s needed to boost the team
    • Only if he looks ready to be an above average major leaguer immediately
    • Only if he looks ready to be a competent major leaguer
    • Only for a September call-up at most
    • No, save his service time and bring him up in 2022

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm guessing that if you had played similar puzzles for years your learning curve would have been different, especially if you were seen as a puzzle solving prodigy.  Like I would expect a highly ranked chess player to be faster at picking up Go than a novice.

I like this analogy.   I had a friend who won the World Junior Chess Championship when he was 17.   He was amazingly good, and at his home also had Go and a three-dimensional chess set.   I never tried either of those, but have little doubt he would have picked those up more easily than me.   

Speaking of chess, the Netflix 7-part series The Queen’s Gambit is very good.   

6 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Can I have a list of highly touted college bats that never played in a minor league game above low A and went on to have very impressive careers?

I'm not saying the list doesn't exist.  I'm just trying to gather some data here.  And let's say in the past 30-35 years.

Can I have a list of highly touted college bats that never played above low A and played in the majors?

For context.

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nonsense.

Please explain to me how he NEEDS to be there for three months.

What will he get out of three months at AA that will be integral to his development?

What, exactly, do you think he can learn at AA that he can't learn elsewhere?  How to hit AA pitching?  Where the best rest stops are?  How comfortable the mattresses are at a Motel 6?

I have a better idea.   Instead of me explaining why he needs three months at AA.  You explain why he doesn't.    He has played a total of 37 minor league games.   A normal progression for AA is to play until mid season and then management determines if the player is ready for AAA.

Just now, wildcard said:

I have a better idea.   Instead of me explaining why he needs three months at AA.  You explain why he doesn't.    He has played a total of 37 minor league games.   A normal progression for AA is to play until mid season and then management determines if the player is ready for AAA.

Can you not read?

The reason he doesn't need to waste half a season in AA is that there is nothing he can learn in AA that he can't learn in the majors.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can you not read?

The reason he doesn't need to waste half a season in AA is that there is nothing he can learn in AA that he can't learn in the majors.

He hasn't even hit AA pitching.   He is 37 games from using aluminum bats.  The last thing Elias wants is him to come to the majors and fail and have to be sent back to the minors.   Look how slowly Elias promoted Mountcastle.   And it appears to have worked.

9 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Can I have a list of highly touted college bats that never played in a minor league game above low A and went on to have very impressive careers?

I'm not saying the list doesn't exist.  I'm just trying to gather some data here.  And let's say in the past 30-35 years.

I hear this point, but we are in Wonderland here.   The Club's contention was the Student/Teacher ratio of the old minors was not good enough, and even without the pandemic, coaches were going to get fewer guys to develop.   With the pandemic, Adley and the other big-time prospects got even more coaching than they would have.   He did get to practice his craft in the year 2020, even though the A/AA seasons were cancelled.   His dream of being a big leaguer has probably been part of his whole conscious life, and based on the makeup reports I doubt he treated this like an extended vacation.  If anything, I feel like Adley Rutschman's relative advantage on any given B or C prospect has grown in this time.

I grant there's no substitute for game reps in general, but there's especially no substitute for MLB game reps.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

He hasn't even hit AA pitching.   He is 37 games from using aluminum bats.  The last thing Elias wants is him to come to the majors and failure and have to be sent back to the minors.   Look how slowly Elias promoted Mountcastle.   And it appears to have worked.

The last thing Elias wants is to have to pay him a second before it's absolutely necessary.

Now, I'm going to ask again.

What can he learn at AA that he can't learn in the majors (That will actually be useful in the majors)?

Why do folks think that this off the charts intangibles kid, raised in a baseball coaching family won't be able to make adjustments at the ML level?

Folks are acting like he was some toolsy raw two sport athlete.

The fact that he was highly polished was part of the package.

Was Manny's bat ready for ML pitching when he was promoted?

Was Schoop's?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The last thing Elias wants is to have to pay him a second before it's absolutely necessary.

Now, I'm going to ask again.

What can he learn at AA that he can't learn in the majors (That will actually be useful in the majors)?

How to hit AA pitching successfully.  Can't learn that in the majors.  What he may find if he goes to the major too fast is that he can't hit major league pitching.   Then he gets sent back the minors.

Just now, wildcard said:

How to hit AA pitching successfully.  Can't learn that in the majors.  What he may find if he goes to the major too fast is that he can't hit major league pitching.   Then he gets sent back the minors.

HOW IS THAT USEFUL IN THE MAJORS????? 

Jeez man I specified useful in the majors because I figured you would mention something useless like that.

He isn't going to be facing AA pitching in the majors.  If it does take a specific skill to hit AA pitching he won't suffer from the lack of it.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why do folks think that this off the charts intangibles kid, raised in a baseball coaching family won't be able to make adjustments at the ML level?

Folks are acting like he was some toolsy raw two sport athlete.

The fact that he was highly polished was part of the package.

Was Manny's bat ready for ML pitching when he was promoted?

Was Schoop's?

OK if the O's are contending in August and they need a better defensive catcher maybe they O's take the chance and promote Adley.  Just like they did Manny.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Schoop put up an OPS of 65 his rookie year.  Did he get sent to the minors?  Did it hurt his career?  Does anyone even remember that?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

OK if the O's are contending in August and they need a better defensive catcher maybe they O's take the chance and promote Adley.  Just like they did Manny.

You are still avoiding the question.

BTW Manny was 19 and was not regarded as the second best prospect in baseball at the time.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

HOW IS THAT USEFUL IN THE MAJORS????? 

Jeez man I specified useful in the majors because I figured you would mention something useless like that.

He isn't going to be facing AA pitching in the majors.  If it does take a specific skill to hit AA pitching he won't suffer from the lack of it.

It is not given that Adley will be able to hit major league pitching.  Failure is a possibility if he is not developed properly.   From where he is now he first shows he has hit AA pitching.  Then AAA pitching.  That gives him the best chance to be successful in the majors.  Just like Mountcastle.