Heyman: Yankees will pursue Teixeira hard...as we all expected, I suppose

DrLev

I'll give you Mid-market...but towards the bottom. Regardless, no chance we pay any player upwards of 20mm per season....especially when we are rebuilding. This type of move might be justified if we need one player to put us over the top, but why waste the money when you don't have a core yet. Doesn't make sense...I would be stoked at first, but I believe that deal would come back to haunt us...Rebuilding is not fun and it takes a long time - splurging on one guy 12 months into the rebuliding process is not part of plan.

The only way the deal would haunt us is if Tex gets hurt or he starts to really suck all of a sudden.

Whether we have Tex or not, it comes back to smart decision making...If AM doesn't make good decisions, we aren't going to win anyway.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again, this is how Peter Angelos thinks.

I will say this...there probably isn't a city in the country that gets behind "one of their own" more than Baltimore does.

I agree attendance will still come down to winning but PA sees Tex in a much different light than you do and that is the aspect I don't think you get.(and btw, I am not saying he is right about Tex's impact)

I'm not trying to get smart, but how do you know how PA thinks? Do you have some sort of inside connection or is this all just pure message board speculation?

The only way the deal would haunt us is if Tex gets hurt or he starts to really suck all of a sudden.

Whether we have Tex or not, it comes back to smart decision making...If AM doesn't make good decisions, we aren't going to win anyway.

And I highly doubt Angelos would invest 140-160 million in one player and not surround him with talent to win. This is why I think we finally have that offseason we've been waiting for, where we fill everything on the shopping list that we can if we sign Tex...

I'm not trying to get smart, but how do you know how PA thinks? Do you have some sort of inside connection or is this all just pure message board speculation?

I was there when the Orioles didn't get to draft Tex...I know the disappointment this organization felt.

I also know what has been reported nationally over the years and on here by our insiders.

I have very little doubt that this is how PA feels.

Again, this is how Peter Angelos thinks.

I will say this...there probably isn't a city in the country that gets behind "one of their own" more than Baltimore does.

I agree attendance will still come down to winning but PA sees Tex in a much different light than you do and that is the aspect I don't think you get.(and btw, I am not saying he is right about Tex's impact)

Maybe I'm way off base but I think the allure of a Ripken isn't only that he was born where he was born but that he grew up and developed as an Oriole was also a huge part of it. I don't think Ripken would have anywhere near the status he has in Baltimore if the first 6 years of his career were spent in pinstripes or with some other team.

But if you are right, maybe the one guy we should be targeting for the pitching staff is Gavin Floyd.

And I highly doubt Angelos would invest 140-160 million in one player and not surround him with talent to win. This is why I think we finally have that offseason we've been waiting for, where we fill everything on the shopping list that we can if we sign Tex...

I think that is the most optomistic post I've ever seen here at OH

I have a feeling you are going to be highly disppointed with the roster when the team heads to Spring Training.

I have a feeling you are going to be highly disppointed with the roster when the team heads to Spring Training.

Maybe, maybe not... :)

I choose to believe this will be the best offseason since the winter of 1995-1996...

Attendance dropped to a record low for OPACY and MASN is struggling with ratings so the Orioles have to make a splash. And with Teixeira and Burnett on the market, now's the perfect time. Add to the fact Angelos wants to see a winner in his lifetime and that he doesn't have many years left, and you've got the perfect situation for the Orioles to have that big offseason we've all been waiting for...

Maybe, maybe not... :)

I choose to believe this will be the best offseason since the winter of 1995-1996...

Attendance dropped to a record low for OPACY and MASN is struggling with ratings so the Orioles have to make a splash. And with Teixeira and Burnett on the market, now's the perfect time. Add to the fact Angelos wants to see a winner in his lifetime and that he doesn't have many years left, and you've got the perfect situation for the Orioles to have that big offseason we've all been waiting for...

I hope you are right...

Or, I would add, if the reports of Tex being a clubhouse problem have credibility and if, in that event, it negatively impacts the club.

Is it your position, SG, that the odds of these haunt possiblities are so close to zero that they're not worth considering, or that even if they do have a material probability, you think we should live with the risk?

Or, I would add, if the reports of Tex being a clubhouse problem have credibility and if, in that event, it negatively impacts the club.

Is it your position, SG, that the odds of these haunt possiblities are so close to zero that they're not worth considering, or that even if they do have a material probability, you think we should live with the risk?

Live with the risk...I am pretty confident in his durability but of course, that can always change.

At some point, we have to take risks but you know what? You can reduce those risks if you have a deep team and make the right decisions.

Read this and then tell me he's a clubhouse problem:

“Mark is a quiet person,” says John Wasdin, a former teammate and current pitcher with the Pittsburgh Pirates. “So he does a lot of leading by example in the way he carries himself and in the way he lives his life. He doesn’t say, ‘Hey, boys, we need to do this. This is what chapter such and such [in the Bible] says.’ But he’s a leader by action, and people look up to him for that.”

If a player is slacking on the field, Teixeira doesn’t hesitate to let him know.

“It’s constructive criticism,” Wasdin says. “He’ll say things like ‘Hey, step it up’ or ‘Let’s go!’ He’s not beating anybody over the head, but he’s saying it in a way that you respect. He’s a young player, but he plays like he’s got 10 or 12 years in the big leagues.”

We'd be lucky to have a guy like that on the Orioles.

Live with the risk...I am pretty confident in his durability but of course, that can always change.

At some point, we have to take risks but you know what? You can reduce those risks if you have a deep team and make the right decisions.

I'm not willing to live with the level of risk I perceive in paying ANY player the amount of dollars that I think it would take to get Tex -- which I expect to be north of $150 mil. But for those who feel differently, I think it makes sense to go down that path with eyes wide open as to the risk. So I applaud you for acknowledging that factor. As long as you've done so, I can't fault you for wanting us to sign Tex, even though I would make a different judgment. (And I know that in your case, you did put a cap of $132 mil on what you'd be willing to offer.) Hey, if we do sign him, I hope my judgment turns out to have been dead wrong. But I'd feel plenty nervous.

I'm not willing to live with the level of risk I perceive in paying ANY player the amount of dollars that I think it would take to get Tex -- which I expect to be north of $150 mil. But for those who feel differently, I think it makes sense to go down that path with eyes wide open as to the risk. So I applaud you for acknowledging that factor. As long as you've done so, I can't fault you for wanting us to sign Tex, even though I would make a different judgment. (And I know that in your case, you did put a cap of $132 mil on what you'd be willing to offer.) Hey, if we do sign him, I hope my judgment turns out to have been dead wrong. But I'd feel plenty nervous.

BTW, I think the biggest risk is him coming home and trying too hard.

And let's not forget the Orioles will have an army of doctors go over Tex's medical records. I think the chances are much better that he has a Manny career vs. an Albert Belle one.

He's a lot more of a safer risk than Sabathia that's for sure.

Archived