Adley starts at DH today

wildcard

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

No, I don't think college ball is worthless at all, I'm just asking for like one half season of ABs to confirm that, yes, the guy can hit. Let him get comfortable playing every day. It's been quite literally years since he's done that. If he looks good, by all means bring him up. 

What's the last team to put a guy this highly touted on their ML squad with 130 AB of low A experience? 

Harper has under 500 career at bats in the minors and he spent one year in community college. 

Rendon has had 309 career at bats in the minors.

Posey has had 631 career at bats in the minors.

Those guys didn't get to spend a half a season in the type of environment Adley was in.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You didn't hear?

Davis is injured.

Probably the only reason Adley is getting the start.

I know this is probably sarcasm but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true. It almost reminds me of when in the Buck era they would "hide" starters in the spring. Like why? 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Harper has under 500 career at bats in the minors and he spent one year in community college. 

Rendon has had 309 career at bats in the minors.

Posey has had 631 career at bats in the minors.

Those guys didn't get to spend a half a season in the type of environment Adley was in.

I don't know that there is a 1:1 comp between college and the minor leagues in terms of both competition and instruction. Ultimately I just think it would be super weird to have a guy go from college to the bigs without so much as a half season of minor league ball. On a pure precedent level, you just don't really see it, fair or not. That said, I get that he's now a year older with a missed season under his belt so there's more urgency to get him up here. 

Ultimately, I don't feel super strongly about this. Personally, I want to see proof that he can hit in AA. I get your position though for sure. If he was called up for Game 1 of the regular season, great, I'm excited about it. 

2 minutes ago, andrewochs615 said:

I know this is probably sarcasm but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true. It almost reminds me of when in the Buck era they would "hide" starters in the spring. Like why? 

I mean Davis is actually injured.

No idea if he would be playing over AR if he was healthy.  Hyde did say he would be trying to get Davis as many at bats as possible so maybe it's an accurate statement?

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I don't know that there is a 1:1 comp between college and the minor leagues in terms of both competition and instruction. Ultimately I just think it would be super weird to have a guy go from college to the bigs without so much as a half season of minor league ball. On a pure precedent level, you just don't really see it, fair or not. That said, I get that he's now a year older with a missed season under his belt so there's more urgency to get him up here. 

Ultimately, I don't feel super strongly about this. Personally, I want to see proof that he can hit in AA. I get your position though for sure. If he was called up for Game 1 of the regular season, great, I'm excited about it. 

But you did.

We don't see it much not because of the money involved.  Posters came up with a list of guys that did it back in the day.  If anything college baseball is much stronger now then it was when Pete Incaviglia made the jump.

If he's a bust at AA do you just keep him there all season?  Next season?  Demote him?  Promote him anyway and hope for the best?

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

At least one mitigating factor is the 1/3 season at the alternate site. Arguably the level of competition there was somewhere around AA-plus. If he was dominating there, they may have seen enough to promote him straight to the bigs. I kind of doubt it, but it's possible. 

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But you did.

We don't see it much not because of the money involved.  Posters came up with a list of guys that did it back in the day.  If anything college baseball is much stronger now then it was when Pete Incaviglia made the jump.

If he's a bust at AA do you just keep him there all season?  Next season?  Demote him?  Promote him anyway and hope for the best?

I think you probably eventually call him up based on his defensive pedigree. I think it's absolutely possible the kid just does not hit. It happens. We haven't seen him hit to date, but again, the sample is just too small to know much of anything about him in a pro setting. 

If he doesn't hit but his defense is good, you call him up anyway because he'll help the team and you hope it just clicks eventually. But the O's are under no obligation to call him up ever if he's no good. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

We haven't seen him hit to date

He hit very well at Aberdeen after initially struggling/being sick. That's what I'm pretty confident would've happened in Delmarva if he got more at bats. However, I'd like to see some AA at bats. Just sucks that the season isn't starting until May. 

• Upvote 1